QoS Query

silas80

Winger
Got the new BT smarthub 2, and well, once again it doesn't offer QoS for it (why?!!) and basically anytime my lass wants to watch her vampire shite on NOW TV etc. the d/l speed and latency on my wired PS4 takes a massive hit.

Basically instead of buying a whole independent router is there such a thing that solely does the QoS thing that I can somehow connect to the BT Hub? If not is there anyway to sort of replicate QoS on it?

No jiggery pokery you can do with ports and bandwidth?

It's what I'd like to know. I've got the PS4 in DMZ and opened ports to games etc. (same thing imo). Doesn't make a difference. Controlling bandwidth is what QoS essentially does and gives your selected devices priority, I don't know why BT keep ignoring it.

Last edited:
Does that control your Wi-Fi devices as well or just ones connected via ethernet?

I mean I suppose it wouldn't matter with the PS4 being wired and taking priority.

Just handles what’s plugged into it in terms of bandwidth. If you prioritise port 1 and plug the PS4 into that, you won’t notice any lack of quality. Made a huge difference for us

Just handles what’s plugged into it in terms of bandwidth. If you prioritise port 1 and plug the PS4 into that, you won’t notice any lack of quality. Made a huge difference for us

Okay, cheers, will give it a go. Did you get the Easy Smart or Unmanaged?

Also what kind of cable do you use to connect it to your router? I'm assuming it's not included.

Okay, cheers, will give it a go. Did you get the Easy Smart or Unmanaged?

Also what kind of cable do you use to connect it to your router? I'm assuming it's not included.

I’ve got 2 stuck to the back of the cabinet. The first one was an unmanaged 4 port, but I soon filled that up. So I got that 8 port managed one above to go with it. PS4 and PC are plugged into that one for obvious reasons.

If you go unmanaged, say you fill 4 ports, it will spread the bandwidth equally across all ports (if all 4 ports are in use)

You just need an Ethernet cable. Make sure it’s CAT6, think they’re about £10 on amazon

This is the unmanaged 4 port I have, also does an excellent job (says 5, but obviously one slot is taken up by router Ethernet connection)

NETGEAR GS105UK 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0000E5SEQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_18bgCbET8FS77

Last edited:
I’ve got 2 stuck to the back of the cabinet. The first one was an unmanaged 4 port, but I soon filled that up. So I got that 8 port managed one above to go with it. PS4 and PC are plugged into that one for obvious reasons.

If you go unmanaged, say you fill 4 ports, it will spread the bandwidth equally across all ports (if all 4 ports are in use)

You just need an Ethernet cable. Make sure it’s CAT6, think they’re about £10 on amazon

This is the unmanaged 4 port I have, also does an excellent job (says 5, but obviously one slot is taken up by router Ethernet connection)

NETGEAR GS105UK 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0000E5SEQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_18bgCbET8FS77

Cheers mate for the info. Have ordered, I'll treat it as a crap Christmas present to myself.

Cheers mate for the info. Have ordered, I'll treat it as a crap Christmas present to myself.

Enjoy!

Some can be funny though, if the instructions say plug the Ethernet cable from the router into port 1 and it doesn’t work, stick it into the port furthest on the right. Those 2 manufacturers above updated their hardware but didn’t update the instructions :lol:

Back