Q Magazine's Future In Doubt

Ah, the good old days when the NME writers all discovered structuralism and post-modernism. No Sigue Sigue Sputnik review complete without a quote from Derrida.

Yeah, they had a lot of writers in the early 80s who weren't particularly into music (probably earlier, it wasn't a priority for Julie Burchill or Tony Parsons, who emerged during punk). Late 80s to early 90s NME has had a fair bit of influence on 6Music - Mary-Anne Hobnobs, Maconie and Steve Lamacaque all emerged through writing for NME (Lamacaque was the journo who was there when Richie Edwards carved 4Real into his arm post-gig).

used to read q until penny dropped about 20 years ago they favoured certain big bands with good album reviews for interviews. Got feeling damon alban released an album of himself having a dump and it would get 5 stars with description of ' groundbreaking ' mandatory .

Seemed inevitable.

In many respects, yes. It really feels like coronavirus has accelerated mainstream / national print media to the finish line.

Fanzines and independents may continue to chug along with their core fanbase but ultimately print cannot support a living for anyone involved now, so most will question what the point in it all is.

Q going should be a sad moment for anyone with more than a passing interest in modern music. It's not just the staff, it's a whole ecosystem (the new bands who don't get the column inches, the labels who lose out on exposure > sales, the freelance photographers and writers, prospective fans who will turn to some grim algorithm to discover music) taking another one in the eye. 2020's been a laugh hasn't it.

Q was a great Mag when Mark Ellen and Dave Hepworth ran the show.
There`s a thing called Readly that I tried a while ago and for £7.99 you get tons of magazines that you can read on your phone/tablet/computer. That has Q, Mojo, Uncut, Classic Rock, Prog, Planet Rock, Uncut, BBC History, History of War, The Week, Commando :)D), Viz, Photography magazines, Stuff, The Week, Time, BBC Wildlife and tons of other stuff. basically for the cost of one magazine you get access to loads of other stuff. It`s a bit like Spotify for magazines. Best of all you can have several user accounts so everyone in the family can have their own favourites saved.
Yeah pal I've subscribed to that for years. Great value. There is definitely still a place for magazines they look great on this app on the iPad.

Last edited:
i used to buy Classic Rock but now i use Readly ...for less than £8 a month i can read both Classic and Planet Rock, Classic Pop, Guitar and Drummer magazines, HiFi mags etc etc...its great value

That is an incredible app. It`s got just about everything. Wish it had the UK version of The Week and National Geographic and it`d be perfect

used to read q until penny dropped about 20 years ago they favoured certain big bands with good album reviews for interviews. Got feeling damon alban released an album of himself having a dump and it would get 5 stars with description of ' groundbreaking ' mandatory .
i remember them giving massive attacks blue lines 2 stars when it was first released only to later judge it one of the albums of the decade

It's a shame for them.

I bought it fairly regularly for about a decade, even then it was very repetitive. A bit of a waste of cash if I'm being truthful. Same for Empire really.

Back