Putting Southwick On The Map

Status
Not open for further replies.
A while back I posted about a project I was working on in Southwick and it is finally coming to fruition.
It should be of interest to anyone with a link to Southwick or interested in Sunderland in general and the launch is on 20th September.

This is the official blurb about it.

Putting Southwick on the Map is a research project that involves local communities, working alongside a University of Sunderland research team, to ‘map’ the everyday lives, culture and creativity found in the Southwick ward of Sunderland.

Through a series of workshops and community research activities, and with expert help from university researchers; the Suddickers of Southwick, are creating a digital map portraying life in Southwick using audio recordings, photographs, writing, and other media of their choice.

The launch event of the map is on September 20 at Southwick Community Primary school.

The launch event is free but you will need a ticket which you can get here.
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/putt...ap-launch-tickets-37061999438?aff=efbeventtix

There will be free cake and hopefully one or two Southwick celebrities.;)

A while back I posted about a project I was working on in Southwick and it is finally coming to fruition.
It should be of interest to anyone with a link to Southwick or interested in Sunderland in general and the launch is on 20th September.

Putting Southwick on the Map is a research project that involves local communities, working alongside a University of Sunderland research team, to ‘map’ the everyday lives, culture and creativity found in the Southwick ward of Sunderland.

Through a series of workshops and community research activities, and with expert help from university researchers; the Suddickers of Southwick, are creating a digital map portraying life in Southwick using audio recordings, photographs, writing, and other media of their choice.

The launch event of the map is on September 20 at Southwick Community Primary school.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/putt...ap-launch-tickets-37061999438?aff=efbeventtix

An event that I hope will make Sunderland less Sundered and promote Southwick

An event that I hope will make Sunderland less Sundered and promote Southwick
Definitely. There's a long story behind how the project came about but basically there is an assumption in some quarters that Southwick has no culture. This project not only proved that there is shed loads but it also allowed Suddickers to define what culture is. Scratch the surface and there's a lot of very talented people there.

Well played mate. Sunderland need people like you doing these kind of things.

Well played mate. Sunderland need people like you doing these kind of things.
TBF, it's the uni who are the driver behind it. I was asked to give a talk as I'm a writer from Southwick and my first novel was set there. I was interested in the project so hung around and then did some workshops with the school etc. Fascinating stuff once you get involved and people are passionate about where they are from.

Definitely. There's a long story behind how the project came about but basically there is an assumption in some quarters that Southwick has no culture. This project not only proved that there is shed loads but it also allowed Suddickers to define what culture is. Scratch the surface and there's a lot of very talented people there.
And more power to their elbow.

Honestly, I have worked in Africa adjacent to local mud hut villagers where my workmates regarded those villagers better than some south-of-the-river Townies regard the Suddickers.

Bigger fools them. Poverty and neglect do not create stupidity, they channel intelligence towards resentment. Ultimately towards payback.

Edit: I forgot to say that what we really need is a Wear Bridge from somewhere neer the Southwick Green to the old Vaux site are. To rejoin the communities.

Last edited by a moderator:
And more power to their elbow.

Honestly, I have worked in Africa adjacent to local mud hut villagers where my workmates regarded those villagers better than some south-of-the-river Townies regard the Suddickers.

Bigger fools them. Poverty and neglect do not create stupidity, they channel intelligence towards resentment. Ultimately towards payback.

Edit: I forgot to say that what we really need is a Wear Bridge from somewhere neer the Southwick Green to the old Vaux site are. To rejoin the communities.
........... sorry about the spelling. Or is it spoolung?

It's Suddick ffs!!!

Good effort RN
Please be kind to a returnink Mackem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Snails, picked from the cliffs at Whitburn, were a delicacy in the North Star in the 60's. I was recently chastised by my youngest daughter for having a pint in The Tramcar, a popular haunt of mine in the day.:cool:

Cheers to any SMBers who turned up to the launch tonight. I think there were a couple, sorry for not speaking.
Went canny well despite a bizarre intervention halfway through my presentation.:lol:

Sorry about that these days I often find myself wearing the wife's clothes and impersonating Eleanor Roosvelt
:lol: You would have fitted right in.

Website with a link to the map. Still a work in progress but despite the cynicism (and all my fans in the Echo FB comments:lol:) we've uncovered loads of culture.
Last night's meeting also proved that there's a lot more we haven't captured and needs to go in. Who'd have thought it, Southwick, a hot bed of culture?
https://www.southwickmap.com

Last edited:
Snails, picked from the cliffs at Whitburn, were a delicacy in the North Star in the 60's. I was recently chastised by my youngest daughter for having a pint in The Tramcar, a popular haunt of mine in the day.:cool:
There was a bloke used to get in the Southwick CIU who used to pick snails off the wall outside and eat them.

Haway Suddick....a rich history there and much better than anywhere on the south side of the wear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back