Pure tune. Incredible bassline.

Don’t compare them to EW&F man. That was/is a proper band (albeit with revolving membership around the nucleus) steeped in jazz, soul, funk, gospel, African beats etc who wrote, arranged, recorded and produced their own stuff and could stand up against just about any band live. I’ve seen them loads of times and they are always top drawer.

Boney M - bubblegum pop with a lip synching front, either doing other people’s songs (Painter Man, Sunny) or stuff cooked up in the back room by their handlers and producers. The Milli Vanilli of their day, backed up by the German SAW.

How you jump from that to my ability to dance is worthless.
Post is about basslines ,stick to the topic
Sounds like you maybe able to do a dad dance given the Ew&f info

Put that in ya pipe and smoke it
Canny tune ,sequencer fodder for bass though

Last edited:

This.

To me this is like the "Strangest place you've ever" thread. I've woken up in an alternative reality and Boney M are somehow now zeitgeist, when they were comedy value at the time.
We'll see if Sonia with SAW make a come back otherwise the comparison is way out ,top producers and musicians trying way harder than they had to to dent the charts

As stated above I’m a huge fan of Earth Wind and Fire, Nile Rogers is one of my musical heroes (lots of bubblegum pop/funk/disco among his many many triumphs) so hardly stuck in a punk mindset, and for me the perfect pop band for a minute - at a time problies slightly after Boney M - was Frankie Goes To Hollywood (accepting that they had a lot of ‘assistance’ from producers and session men) but the long version of Welcome To The Pleasure Dome is absolute perfect pop. Anything Boney M did was light years behind a song like that.
Good point ,so we're comparing two musical svengalis with a front to them ,Frankies were cooler of course

Last edited:
That's one of those tracks where you think, 'come on this is getting a bit annoying at least mix it up a bit'.
The break is even too long and annoying as well.
Aye, probably doesn't fit into the theme of the op, just responding to your post re. testing bass.

Total headfuck in a club with the strobes going mind you.

If you ever want to test the bass in your speakers, there is the link I've put up and these two.

I’ve already posted the LFO one and it did in fact knack the speakers in Chambers one night back in the day. A lot of the early Warp/Sheffield Bleep stuff had the subsonic bass.

Back