Puppy training

Morning folks.

Me & Mrs Stallion have a little 8-week cockapoo who we got a week ago. He’s been class up until this morning (been doing his business outside etc) when we’ve found he’s shit all over his pen and started pissing on the carpets. He was doing so well but he seems to have regressed a bit now, the little shit :lol:

Is regression normal in pups?? Any advice greatly appreciated.

As others have said, shitting and pissing in the house at 8 weeks is the norm. Just keep doing what you’re doing as it sounds like you’ve got him on the right path.

You can usually tell when they are going to do their business, nose down and circling so just keep an eye on him and take him outside.

He’s had a bit of a dicky stomach lately like, loose poo’s and that so we’ve not bothered with treats until he starts producing something a bit more solid.

We don’t shout at him like. We know that’ll only make him hate us.

We got our Cockapoo just before Xmas. On balance he has been really good with not shitting all over the house. He cottoned to barking at the door when he needed the garden pretty quickly. Lots of praise when he did but not bollocking him when he didn't seemed to work a treat.

He also has a bout of dicky stomach a few weeks after we got him. Vet said too many treats and/or too rich food - even though we only fed him puppy food. Anyway they advised probiotic food every other day which we buy from Pets at Home. Been fine ever since. It can be a little tricky getting him back on it most Mondays after topside of beef, carrots, cauli and broccoli on Sundays mind!

We got our Cockapoo just before Xmas. On balance he has been really good with not shitting all over the house. He cottoned to barking at the door when he needed the garden pretty quickly. Lots of praise when he did but not bollocking him when he didn't seemed to work a treat.

He also has a bout of dicky stomach a few weeks after we got him. Vet said too many treats and/or too rich food - even though we only fed him puppy food. Anyway they advised probiotic food every other day which we buy from Pets at Home. Been fine ever since. It can be a little tricky getting him back on it most Mondays after topside of beef, carrots, cauli and broccoli on Sundays mind!
Aye, we rang our breeder for a bit advice (she’s dealt with cockapoos for 40 year +) and she suggested putting some natural yoghurt in his food. He’s had a bit diarrhoea lately and it seems to have subsided with the good bacteria counteracting the bad.

I find it difficult not to get at him sometimes but will have to stop that. He’s pissing and shitting in his pen overnight now which he wasn’t doing a few days ago. Tough work this puppy lark :lol:

Aye, we rang our breeder for a bit advice (she’s dealt with cockapoos for 40 year +) and she suggested putting some natural yoghurt in his food. He’s had a bit diarrhoea lately and it seems to have subsided with the good bacteria counteracting the bad.

I find it difficult not to get at him sometimes but will have to stop that. He’s pissing and shitting in his pen overnight now which he wasn’t doing a few days ago. Tough work this puppy lark :lol:

my last 2 dogs I got when they were 8 weeks old and overnight they were in a large crate in the dining room, bedside lamp on the table with a cover on it to subdue the light. I slept on the couch a few feet away. Bear in mind when you first get them they have been taken away from their mother and the rest of the litter. You have taken their place.

They will cry during the night at first, and that is either because they are frightened or need to relive themsevles. If he is doing his business in his crate he is absolutely desperate. Sleeping nearby you can take him our of the crate and take him straight outside. I did this for around 6 weeks and they were housetrained after around 3 weeks.

Lots of good advice on here, if you can catch him and get him to do it on a puppy pad, then move it closer and closer to the door until its outside.(obviously keep changing the puppy pad)

Lots of praise and treats when it gets it right

Also try saying toilet when he/she is doing it then prase it/treat it.

I can say toilet to mine and she squats immediatley and goes, she even squats down to try when she doesnt want one :)

Plenty of praise when he gets it right.
The good behaviour will follow.

My Lab never shits in his own garden and waits until he is in the fields.
Even then backs up into long grass and bushes :) he will however cock his leg up around the bushes in the front garden to mark his territory.

They will not want to soil their bed so would think you've missed cries for toilet during night. They can only go a few 3-4 hours at that age for a wee. Ours lets us know she needed to go out. It just got a little longer each week. She's nearly 5 month now and goes through the night until 6-6.30 now. During day she'll got to back door and resort for us, if we don't come were hear a little grunt and then maybe a bark if we miss that.

Went though several wee mishaps in the house in the early days and a couple of poos but she soon for the hang of it. Take them out regularly at that age (every 30 mins) and encourage with whatever phrase you choose. Then praise when they go.

It gets better! We were up a couple of times a night with her and knackered but she's great now.

He's a bit young to have left his mother at seven weeks old.

Just keep on with the training. Keep putting him outside regularly and getting ridiculously excited when he does a poo or wee outside. You'll sound like a complete tit but it really helps the dog understand where he should be doing it.
It’s illegal.

Plenty of praise when he gets it right.
The good behaviour will follow.

My Lab never shits in his own garden and waits until he is in the fields.
Even then backs up into long grass and bushes :) he will however cock his leg up around the bushes in the front garden to mark his territory.

wonder if that something in the breed as mine does exactly the same.:lol:

Morning folks.

Me & Mrs Stallion have a little 8-week cockapoo who we got a week ago. He’s been class up until this morning (been doing his business outside etc) when we’ve found he’s shit all over his pen and started pissing on the carpets. He was doing so well but he seems to have regressed a bit now, the little shit :lol:

Is regression normal in pups?? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Have you showered with him yet?

Last edited:

Back