PUNK BRITANNIA AT THE BBC

• Thread starter Deleted member 2014
  • Start date
I’ll always remember me & @Libertine were at a gig & I said the brilliant thing about music, is sometimes you don’t know why it’s brilliant, there’s just something that clicks. He said “I still get excited now when I hear the opening riff of Anarchy in the Uk”. I’m pinching that line one day.
Totally agree.
The intro's to Pretty Vacant, and Holidays in the Sun, have the same effect on me, as do the intros to Alternative Ulster, (SLF) Teenage Kicks, (Undertones) and English Civil War, by the Clash.

Fuck off man :lol::lol:

There’s bands numerous bands playing in Sunderland, this weekend, in various pubs who’ll be playing the songs from these albums. They have been for as long as I’ve been old enough to to pubs & will for a long time. That’s 40 odd years on.

As a side note, our lass has just mentioned some free entry punk festival at the Roker Hotel
Imho. I wouldn't listen to any of those albums now.
Great at the time but they are of their time and don't have a timeless quality.

Britain in November '75 needed the Pistols.

The Pistols left Pretty Vacant as a legacy....enough for me. The drumming and that Jones guitar riff....enough said.
Pretty vacant still has "it"

fuck off - all 4 of them do
Fuck off - no they don't.

Pretty much all of the decent music since will cite their influence
I'd say punks greatest legacy was openess and empowering anyone to make music .The stuff that didn't stand the test of time isn't on BBC tonight ,or any other night
As I said it was an enema that was needed. Not something you do for pleasure when it isn't needed. Well some people might the world is a strange place.

Last edited:
Imho. I wouldn't listen to any of those albums now.
Great at the time but they are of their time and don't have a timeless quality.

Pretty vacant still has "it"

Fuck off - no they don't.

As I said it was an enema that was needed. Not something you do for pleasure when it isn't needed. Well some people might the world is a strange place.
You make it sound like someone just killed everyone of any importance in the music industry without a note being played
I listen to very little of it anymore but that's because my tastes are different and I've found other stuff .It doesn't change the fact it was excellent music
Album 2 3 and 4 etc from the likes of The Jam and The Damned and the Stranglers were brilliant and all for different reasons ,all pulling from that initial sound

You make it sound like someone just killed everyone of any importance in the music industry without a note being played
I listen to very little of it anymore but that's because my tastes are different and I've found other stuff .It doesn't change the fact it was excellent music
Album 2 3 and 4 etc from the likes of The Jam and The Damned and the Stranglers were brilliant and all for different reasons ,all pulling from that initial sound
I don't think the quality of the stuff that came out of the early punk bands was very high. It was almost anti music.
There was a lot of dross. Imho. Exciting at the time but still dross.

The Clash certainly improved when they stopped playing "punk music"
On the other hand the Ramones were the originals and the best and haven't really dated

I don't think the quality of the stuff that came out of the early punk bands was very high. It was almost anti music.

I think that's hoow many see it. The attitude, energy and as you say, anti seems to what appeals above the actual quality of music (overall).

The Clash certainly improved when they stopped playing "punk music"

Yup. Some absolutely fantastic songs post.

Lots of dross from the dross
What's new ? We aren't talking about the stocking fillers though. You seem to have forgot you were there and look back like Sid snot was top of the charts .
All the top bands could play
Had loads of energy and wrote songs people still talk about

I think that's hoow many see it. The attitude, energy and as you say, anti seems to what appeals above the actual quality of music (overall).

Yup. Some absolutely fantastic songs post.
The whole presentation and shock was a massive part but it didn't hide crap songs
Hearing Neat neat neat loud is still like a legal injection 40 years on

Last edited:
Rat scabies drumming intro to New Rose and the raw power of that song got me hooked..

Let's hope they break into the mainstream and shake things up..
Why? Then they’d cost a fortune to see, become arrogant twats, start phoning it in etc.

Lots of dross from the dross
What's new ? We aren't talking about the stocking fillers though. You seem to have forgot you were there and look back like Sid snot was top of the charts .
All the top bands could play
Had loads of energy and wrote songs people still talk about
Was never bothered about the charts.

Sometime from the mid-late 60s to mid-late 70s, couldn’t pick a specific year because if I say 65-75 it cuts off Some Girls in 78. But if I say 68-78 it cuts off Rubber Soul in 65 or Revolver in 66.

Back