Pubs open early on Saturday?

Right then, I'll explain, and the answer is two fold.

I like a drink as much as anybody. Possibly more so than some and understanding this may go some way to explaining my logic.

For one, 10am is early. It's a long day. When I drink, I like to see the evening through. In my mind, to start drinking at 10am means ya'll wind up a right clip come tea time. It's not always the case granted, and there's the small matter of a break for the match in between. But still, you're likely to wind up in bed by 8pm on a Saturday, and that just doesn't sit well with me. That buggers the whole day/weekend up in my opinion and I'd rather prolong the day and see the evening. I realise there are certain 'supplements' available these days that can prolong a sesh, but I've no interest in those either. And I know some might say "well you could just enjoy a couple, ya don't have to get pissed", and that's fine. It's true as well I suppose. But for me, once I start, I'm not likely to stop. And if I do have a couple of early afternoon or even morning pints and I do stop, it tends to wipe me out and I need a kip, and we're back to buggering ya whole day up.

Two, and I realise this will go against the grain of most of the match going posters on here, I've never ever felt the need to drink before a home game. Since I was a bairn I've always gone with me, and me little brother followed. He's now designated driver. It's just something we've never done. Maybe if I went with the lads it might be different but to be honest, it doesn't appeal to me greatly. Getting a pint in the ground's a pain in the arse, as is needing a wee during the match. I'm not saying I've never done it, but it's rare. I quite enjoy meeting a few of the lads after the match, but I can wait 'til 5.15 for that pint (that's also a great pint by the way). Then you've got the evening ahead of you. People can joke all they like about blood pressure and not being able to watch it sober, but it's a bit of a nonsense really. It's a game of football. Yes Sunderland are hard work, but you don't need the drink to watch them. And that's the bit I find a bit sad. This preconception that you need to get a few pints down ya to watch a game of football. I do sometimes wonder if people prefer the drink to the football itself. I enjoy both, but I can do so exclusively. When I was younger, I'd prefer to get home from the match, turn meself around, then go out on a Saturday night with the lads. Nowadays I might prefer to go out with the wife for meal.
So when I posed my opening question to the OP, yes I was actually being serious. I didn't really think anything of it to be honest - a throwaway remark on a message board. I'd probably ask the same of my mates if we were stood in the pub. Without knowing his full circumstances it seemed silly to me to need to start drinking at 10am, when you could just as easily go to the match, then make an afternoon/evening of it afterwards. Obviously I had no idea he's only allowed out for the match, so I wasn't taking into consideration that there seems to be quite a few people who use the match as their only excuse to get out with the lads for a beer - no that is sad. I can gan out whenever I want.

Cheers lads, it's Friday. 🍻🍺🍺🍻🍺🍻🍺

Ya've gorra make the proles stuck as work well jeal man hun. x

Well I can't knock you for lack of a detailed response mind mate :lol: :lol:

Fair enough really, but each to his own, so they say. I very rarely drink as early as 10am, but it has been known and I won't knock other for doing it either. Some people have a hard time getting away from the Mrs/Kids so gotta make the most of it!

Right then, I'll explain, and the answer is two fold.

I like a drink as much as anybody. Possibly more so than some and understanding this may go some way to explaining my logic.

For one, 10am is early. It's a long day. When I drink, I like to see the evening through. In my mind, to start drinking at 10am means ya'll wind up a right clip come tea time. It's not always the case granted, and there's the small matter of a break for the match in between. But still, you're likely to wind up in bed by 8pm on a Saturday, and that just doesn't sit well with me. That buggers the whole day/weekend up in my opinion and I'd rather prolong the day and see the evening. I realise there are certain 'supplements' available these days that can prolong a sesh, but I've no interest in those either. And I know some might say "well you could just enjoy a couple, ya don't have to get pissed", and that's fine. It's true as well I suppose. But for me, once I start, I'm not likely to stop. And if I do have a couple of early afternoon or even morning pints and I do stop, it tends to wipe me out and I need a kip, and we're back to buggering ya whole day up.

Two, and I realise this will go against the grain of most of the match going posters on here, I've never ever felt the need to drink before a home game. Since I was a bairn I've always gone with me, and me little brother followed. He's now designated driver. It's just something we've never done. Maybe if I went with the lads it might be different but to be honest, it doesn't appeal to me greatly. Getting a pint in the ground's a pain in the arse, as is needing a wee during the match. I'm not saying I've never done it, but it's rare. I quite enjoy meeting a few of the lads after the match, but I can wait 'til 5.15 for that pint (that's also a great pint by the way). Then you've got the evening ahead of you. People can joke all they like about blood pressure and not being able to watch it sober, but it's a bit of a nonsense really. It's a game of football. Yes Sunderland are hard work, but you don't need the drink to watch them. And that's the bit I find a bit sad. This preconception that you need to get a few pints down ya to watch a game of football. I do sometimes wonder if people prefer the drink to the football itself. I enjoy both, but I can do so exclusively. When I was younger, I'd prefer to get home from the match, turn meself around, then go out on a Saturday night with the lads. Nowadays I might prefer to go out with the wife for meal.
So when I posed my opening question to the OP, yes I was actually being serious. I didn't really think anything of it to be honest - a throwaway remark on a message board. I'd probably ask the same of my mates if we were stood in the pub. Without knowing his full circumstances it seemed silly to me to need to start drinking at 10am, when you could just as easily go to the match, then make an afternoon/evening of it afterwards. Obviously I had no idea he's only allowed out for the match, so I wasn't taking into consideration that there seems to be quite a few people who use the match as their only excuse to get out with the lads for a beer - no that is sad. I can gan out whenever I want.

Cheers lads, it's Friday. 🍻🍺🍺🍻🍺🍻🍺

Ya've gorra make the proles stuck as work well jeal man hun. x

I've unfortunately read all that, and I'm still looking for the reason for you to label someone "Sad" for drinking at 10am.

All I read, especially in the first paragraph, was what you like to do and what your preferences are.

I've unfortunately read all that, and I'm still looking for the reason for you to label someone "Sad" for drinking at 10am.

All I read, especially in the first paragraph, was what you like to do and what your preferences are.
Somewhat sad isn't it :lol:

Needing several pints to make watching a team you're supposed to support bearable. That's the sad part.

I was sat in the armchair in me dressing gown. Had to go and do my final GCSE exam at 10.
I had to work it. To the bar for 5am, set everything up and open at 6. Worked til one the following morning. Did the same for the Argentina game (that we won I think….I wasn’t loving football that World Cup). We took over £20k in the bar and I was sat at 2 the next morning counting it (wrongly, as I was knackered after a 19 hour shift).

2002 was NOT my favourite World Cup.

This thread man 😳😂. I'll be drinking in the house as from about 10 or 11 latest on Saturday. Watch the match and drink all through the day and evening.

I'll gan to bed early if I fancy it but likely up late. Do you know why? Because its my weekend and I'll do whatever I bloody like. I won't be in a state and I wont bother anyone else, and dont have young kids or commitments to sort.

This thread man 😳😂. I'll be drinking in the house as from about 10 or 11 latest on Saturday. Watch the match and drink all through the day and evening.

I'll gan to bed early if I fancy it but likely up late. Do you know why? Because its my weekend and I'll do whatever I bloody like. I won't be in a state and I wont bother anyone else, and dont have young kids or commitments to sort.

Chris wont be happy with this!

Back