Pubs banning mobiles

Personally think a lot of people need to learn how to be laid back and stop being so bothered about what the stranger in the pub is doing. Imagine being irritated by someone on their phone, in the pub man. Chill ya beans man and enjoy ya pint instead!

There's at least two in Whitby that I know of, both Sam Smith's. No phones / laptops / tablets / televisions / jukebox / bandits.

Made a refreshing change all having to talk to each other, both places were very busy.
I suppose some of it depends on what you go to the pub for and what sort of pub it is. If you work from home or remotely a lot and just fancy a pint, I can see the appeal of sitting in the corner of a pub by yourself with a laptop cracking on with a bit of work and getting paid for it. I know I used to occasionally buy a paper and nip in a pub by myself. Often when the wife was shopping, I'd tell here there were a couple of things I needed to by and I'd meet her later. All true, I'd buy beer and peanuts.

On the other hand I have been in pubs where the atmosphere is dead while everyone looks down at their phones. Then you have all the ring tones going off and people shouting into their phones. I can see why Sam Smiths have done this.

I suppose some of it depends on what you go to the pub for and what sort of pub it is. If you work from home or remotely a lot and just fancy a pint, I can see the appeal of sitting in the corner of a pub by yourself with a laptop cracking on with a bit of work and getting paid for it. I know I used to occasionally buy a paper and nip in a pub by myself. Often when the wife was shopping, I'd tell here there were a couple of things I needed to by and I'd meet her later. All true, I'd buy beer and peanuts.

On the other hand I have been in pubs where the atmosphere is dead while everyone looks down at their phones. Then you have all the ring tones going off and people shouting into their phones. I can see why Sam Smiths have done this.
Was funny when one of our party was stood at the bar asking if they could borrow a tenner and everyone said no, so they had to walk out in the rain to the cashpoint.

Seeing this thread has reminded me of one thing at work, out disaster recovery plan. We work on a large site, but if there is a site wide issue where we can not remain for any reason but need to keep the IT systems going, our unofficial rendezvous point is a pub down the road. They have a pretty good wifi connection and we all know the landlord. It is everything we need for a temporary office/meeting room. It is dead during the day, so we will not disturb anyone.

Personally think a lot of people need to learn how to be laid back and stop being so bothered about what the stranger in the pub is doing. Imagine being irritated by someone on their phone, in the pub man. Chill ya beans man and enjoy ya pint instead!

Rubbish, it is rude and unacceptable.

i wanted breakfast yesterday so went to the local ordered steak and eggs read my kindle whilst drinking a bottle of wine. wheres the bother 10 years ago i'd have taken a paperback or a broadsheet

Back