Pubs banning mobiles

Not bothered if some pubs ban them or not. I'd rather they make sure the bottles are cold and theres not a 2 inch head on my pint. Who is it harming anyway. Is it the pubs job to decide what people do while spending their dough in the pub. If the people you are with are on their mobile all the time and you don't like it, naffing tell them or don't go out with them.

The Acorn ? Tucked up Saint martins lane at the bottom of micklegate . Used to drink with a few lads from there they had a good rugby league team .
If in fulford i would have drank in the gymccrack ( gone now i think) , used to get in there after karate at the barracks .
I lived in a few places, one was right next to the gymcrack. That is the acorn I was thinking if, but it has a very odd spelling.

I lived in a few places, one was right next to the gymcrack. That is the acorn I was thinking if, but it has a very odd spelling.
Ahh..must have jazzed its name up for the tourists at some point as it was always just plan old Acorn when i was a young un.
I spent a lot of time around that area of town used to meet our lass in the Yorkshire hussar in north st after work . Some characters in there :lol:

Ahh..must have jazzed its name up for the tourists at some point as it was always just plan old Acorn when i was a young un.
I spent a lot of time around that area of town used to meet our lass in the Yorkshire hussar in north st after work . Some characters in there :lol:

The Ackhorne was the original name, changed to the Acorn in 1818 and reverted back in 1993 according to this:
I didn't move to York until 1995.

I noticed the Blue Bell on that list. I remember as a student, it looked small and intimidating from outside, one smoked window and just a long corridor leading into the bar and lounge, so you had no idea what it was like until you went inside. A few people had said "oh, don't go in there if you are a student". But, it was the only VAUX pub in town so eventually I got too tempted and popped in by myself. Turned out to be a fantastic pub, got chatting to a few locals and had a few more pints than I intended.

The Ackhorne was the original name, changed to the Acorn in 1818 and reverted back in 1993 according to this:
I didn't move to York until 1995.

I noticed the Blue Bell on that list. I remember as a student, it looked small and intimidating from outside, one smoked window and just a long corridor leading into the bar and lounge, so you had no idea what it was like until you went inside. A few people had said "oh, don't go in there if you are a student". But, it was the only VAUX pub in town so eventually I got too tempted and popped in by myself. Turned out to be a fantastic pub, got chatting to a few locals and had a few more pints than I intended.
Every days a school day 👍

A bit bonkers at times. Like the walking dead: they'd walk off a cliff edge without realising. Life does not revolve around social media and games etc. Very sad to see.

With so many pubs going to the wall each year I'm amazed they are trying to alienate people like this. So fuck if people use their phones. There are some really weird snowflakes out there

By my reckoning I’ve lived here since March and I’ve probably paid the wage of at least one staff member (given the average mark up of a beer and the amount I drink) for at least a month in the Colonol Prior. I’m always listening to a Podcast or browsing something when I go in, not always, I will interact occasionally, this is something I do to unwind. Probably a caught in between two generations thing.

If people want to be on their phone in a pub let them unless you’re out with your mates and feel the need to pull them up on it...
With so many pubs going to the wall each year I'm amazed they are trying to alienate people like this. So fuck if people use their phones. There are some really weird snowflakes out there
In a nutshell

Was down Whitby a few weeks ago and a canny few pubs have this policy.

Got a right bollocking from the bar maid as i was at the bar and it vibrated so naturally got it out to check and she went nuts.

Great idea though as the pubs everyone was more engaging and interacting.

Brilliant idea, make it across the board with restaurants as well. If I was in government would ban smartphones and go back to phones that just text or call, they are a blight on society and that is from someone that uses them all the time.

Great idea! Whilst we're at it, lets go back to using paper maps for direction instead of using technology too?

Never mind Mobiles they want to ban f***ing Dogs first
Pretty sure that's already banned mate.
Going for a meal. Look at the bill, £30 each, everyone sticks £30 in the middle of the table, makes a generous tip for the waiter, pay the whole lot in one transaction. Modern day is that everyone pays a slice and the waiter spends half an hour sorting out how a table of 20 people will pay. It could involve 20 transactions.
That happened to me for a work's Xmas meal the other week. f***ing daft, I have to agree.

Last edited:
Was down Whitby a few weeks ago and a canny few pubs have this policy.

Got a right bollocking from the bar maid as i was at the bar and it vibrated so naturally got it out to check and she went nuts.

Great idea though as the pubs everyone was more engaging and interacting.
There's at least two in Whitby that I know of, both Sam Smith's. No phones / laptops / tablets / televisions / jukebox / bandits.

Made a refreshing change all having to talk to each other, both places were very busy.

Back