Pubs banning mobiles

So you disagree with cinemas telling people to turn their phones off too?

As for the pub thing, surely newspapers should be banned too? They're a connection to the outside world and having your head buried in your paper is just as anti-social as having your head buried in an electronic device.
Are you alright? I do not remember mentioning cinemas, theatres, or anywhere else where a phone call would spoil anyone else’s enjoyment. Try some brushing up on your comprehension, in other words understanding, what is written or said. No where did I even intimate what you have said. Miserable tw*t.

class idea imo . go back to the days of me and the blokes drinking proper f***ing strong ale with none of this tech nology shite !!

heres a photo from me and the lads back in the day ... took just before a shagged the bar maid ... before the phones took owaa .. all proper blokes ... bobby looking hard as fuck the git bloke .. finishing a day of hard graft and having some propa pints

Logon or register to see this image

Think that's the Chester's in the 70's

It is. More transactions are made by card than by cash these days. Given that you do your internet banking whilst driving, I thought you’d be aware of that.
Our work cafe doesn't accept cash anymore.
Nice and quiet though, nobody babbling on and no ringtones blaring ,like I said before
You just need some noise-cancelling Airpods.
Drugs
Fiddle work
Tipping delivery drivers
Lending money to people
Buying knock off gear
Gambling with your mates

I’d like to see how a cashless society works with those things.
pingit

Last edited:
Every now and again I’ll go out, read the papers on my phone and have a drink. Can I not do that ?
I wouldn’t dream of getting it out if I was in company other than to prove someone wrong or to cheat on a quiz

Drugs
Fiddle work
Tipping delivery drivers
Lending money to people
Buying knock off gear
Gambling with your mates

Head of the Bank of England "do you think we should go to a full cashless society"
Boris Johnson "I don't think we should like it may stop Herbal buying hooky gear and playing poker with his mates" FFS!

Went to Berlin recently and couldn't believe how behind they are in terms of places taking card, even some of the bigger chains had cash only signs up.

My old local in York was like this and it was very popular, should we be supporting pubs who make a stand against the digital world.
It wasn't the Wellington was it?

It is something I started to see as mobiles became popular. I have always been the one who ended up organising pub nights, otherwise people would keep saying "we must all go out for a drink" and never go. Dead easy, tell everyone "from 7 to 9 we will be in this pub, after that we will be in this one". People coped with ease.

Then mobile phones came in and people had sections of their brain removed. "from 7 to 9 we will be in this pub, after that we will be in this one", "oh ok, I'll text you to see where you are". No don't text, just look at your watch. While sitting at the pub suddenly my phone rings "Hi, I'm about 1 minute away I'll see you soon.". "Great, if you had waited a minute to call me, you need not have bothered".

It seems that people can not go to a pre arranged place at a pre arranged time without millions of texts, mails or social media messages. Smart phones have their uses, but so many people have forgotten how to carry out basic functions without using one.
Drugs
Fiddle work
Tipping delivery drivers
Lending money to people
Buying knock off gear
Gambling with your mates

My football evening. I have two cash bags. One gets passed around and everyone who plays sticks a fiver in it. When the bag gets a bit full, one of the lads sticks it into his bank account and pays the pitch fees from there. The other cash bag is that those of us who go for a couple of pints after stick a tenner in the kitty. Anything left after that goes in the other bag, which starts the kitty for the following week. After a while we will have a 'free' night, or only stick a fiver in. Both get really hard without cash.

Going for a meal. Look at the bill, £30 each, everyone sticks £30 in the middle of the table, makes a generous tip for the waiter, pay the whole lot in one transaction. Modern day is that everyone pays a slice and the waiter spends half an hour sorting out how a table of 20 people will pay. It could involve 20 transactions.
Was my dads old local when he lived in Hope st. I left in 88, mainly used rose and crown down that end of town .
I never went in the Pheonix much, was always one I walked past on the way into town. I used to spend a lot of time in the Rose and Crown. The room to the left as you go in was always brilliant for football, just one big screen at the end. I think they got rid of that in one refurb.

Last edited:
It wasn't the Wellington was it?

It is something I started to see as mobiles became popular. I have always been the one who ended up organising pub nights, otherwise people would keep saying "we must all go out for a drink" and never go. Dead easy, tell everyone "from 7 to 9 we will be in this pub, after that we will be in this one". People coped with ease.

Then mobile phones came in and people had sections of their brain removed. "from 7 to 9 we will be in this pub, after that we will be in this one", "oh ok, I'll text you to see where you are". No don't text, just look at your watch. While sitting at the pub suddenly my phone rings "Hi, I'm about 1 minute away I'll see you soon.". "Great, if you had waited a minute to call me, you need not have bothered".

It seems that people can not go to a pre arranged place at a pre arranged time without millions of texts, mails or social media messages. Smart phones have their uses, but so many people have forgotten how to carry out basic functions without using one.

My football evening. I have two cash bags. One gets passed around and everyone who plays sticks a fiver in it. When the bag gets a bit full, one of the lads sticks it into his bank account and pays the pitch fees from there. The other cash bag is that those of us who go for a couple of pints after stick a tenner in the kitty. Anything left after that goes in the other bag, which starts the kitty for the following week. After a while we will have a 'free' night, or only stick a fiver in. Both get really hard without cash.

Going for a meal. Look at the bill, £30 each, everyone sticks £30 in the middle of the table, makes a generous tip for the waiter, pay the whole lot in one transaction. Modern day is that everyone pays a slice and the waiter spends half an hour sorting out how a table of 20 people will pay. It could involve 20 transactions.

I never went in the Pheonix much, was always one I walked past on the way into town. I used to spend a lot of time in the Rose and Crown. The room to the left as you go in was always brilliant for football, just one big screen at the end. I think they got rid of that in one refurb.
i was in there before big telly footy really , 80s .
Best Tetleys in town the R&C . Botham tavern and swan on bishy road good as well.

i was in there before big telly footy really , 80s .
Best Tetleys in town the R&C . Botham tavern and swan on bishy road good as well.
Bringing back a few memories. I moved to York at 18 (initially as a student) and stayed for 10 years, so my daft youngun days through to slightly more sensible drinking was pretty much all in york. A fantastic place for drinking and some brilliant pubs. Someone mentioned the Ackhorne earlier. That is a great one for being in the city walls but tucked out the way until you see it. I mentioned the Wellington in Fulford too. I'm not sure if it was originally built as a pub (I think it had a cellar) but it looked like two small terrace houses knocked through.

The Acorn ? Tucked up Saint martins lane at the bottom of micklegate . Used to drink with a few lads from there they had a good rugby league team .
If in fulford i would have drank in the gymccrack ( gone now i think) , used to get in there after karate at the barracks .

Back