Public Health England - PPE

The whole world is struggling for face masks.its not the fault of anyone
The slow off the mark reaction is though. As is the official leap to Plan B after 48hrs.
Your initial posts on the subject way back when will have many posters questioning the validity of your opinions.
Nah, it's Johnson and Hancock making it up on the spot.

It'll be interesting to see who's keeping their emails.
I think they’re so far over the heads that they’re aware emails are gonna bury them once it’s all over. Their won’t be an email trail for the public enquiry to follow. It’ll be mask to mask conversations and phone calls. It’ll be interesting to see who’s recording those mind.

Last edited:

So the government's Public Health England department has decided to downgrade PPE. After telling us time and time again they are getting us the relevant PPE and that staff complaining we don't have enough just need to make a phone call, they are now telling us that masks can be worn for a full session.

My trust has reviewed this and has now told us we are to turn up to work and at the start of our shift, we wait outside the ward until someone inside comes and gives us one surgical mask and one pair of protective goggles. The goggles we keep indefinitely and it's up to ourselves to clean them and the surgical mask which only 2 days ago was single use only and only good for 20 minutes usage, we now have to wear for the full 12.5hr shift and we don't take them off.
Friday morning, I'd just finished doing 75 hours in 7 days, I'm f***ing knackered, unable to sleep and now I read this.
The Tories not happy they weren't able to play with the general publics lives with their 'herd immunity' bollocks have decided to play with NHS staff and patients lives instead. You couldn't f***ing make it up.
It must be awful going into work when you could be in danger yourself (or put others in danger through catching and transmitting this awful disease) and you think those in charge are letting you down.
The guidance on masks and goggles bring worn for an entire session are in place 'only when safe to do so'.
Surely if you think it is unsafe you could and should be replacing them and you should be refusing to work untill it's replaced?

From the link

in some circumstances PPE, particularly masks and eye protection which is there to protect the health and care worker can be worn for an entire session and doesn’t need to be changed between patients, as long as it is safe to do so

Last edited:
There were no plans in place by PHE for such a pandemic, hence no equipment....it's a joke that NHS staff are being put at risk, lambs to the slaughter.
It makes me laugh the supposed risk assessments they have in place are worthless and yet in industry H&S is given a much higher priority

I actually find it quite worrying how unprepared PHE are for all of this. Granted I work in nuclear and we are over prepared for things, but we’ve got more preparations in our pandemic planning than PHE have who are supposed to be looking after the nations health in all this. We’ve ended up helping the West Cumbrian hospitals with everything from respirators to clothing. Shocking and quite scary considering how much worse this virus could potentially be (not to understate it, but it could be a lot more lethal)

I think you have a superiority complex. You seem to believe you hold and present a balanced view but your lack of self awareness is staggering. You’re probably the most partisan poster on here with your refusal to see any fault in government and total reluctance to criticise them.

The vast majority on here that you look down on are infinitely more balanced and reasonable. For example loads, including myself, are capable of praising the Tory’s fiscal support measures whilst simultaneously being critical of them failing to adequately protect the front line and incessantly lying around the matter.

Nailed it, absolutely nailed it. Tries his hardest to cultivate an image of being a learned, reasonable and non-partisan bloke but rarely has a bad word to say about the Tories. His stock reply is that he has never voted for them though so that makes it okay :lol:

If you blow his arguments out of the water too often he has a hissy fit and tells you you’ve lost the right to talk to him :lol:

He reads every one of my posts because he drops subtle hints about though :D

There are all sorts of reasons why things don't happen when they should. Government failure is one option, but that would require us to believe government controls the entire NHS logistics operation right down to the scheduling and priority of shipments which seems unlikely.

It's not either or.

The Government have handled this woefully

But decades of bashing NHS managers, badly thought out re-organisations (including a full scale re-organisation of NHS procurement only 6 months ago) has left the management function in a mess too

Ministers are making statements about PPE without any way of knowing if they are true or not. Ministers, and the top leadership at NHSE&I are so out of touch with what is actually happening on the ground
I actually find it quite worrying how unprepared PHE are for all of this. Granted I work in nuclear and we are over prepared for things, but we’ve got more preparations in our pandemic planning than PHE have who are supposed to be looking after the nations health in all this. We’ve ended up helping the West Cumbrian hospitals with everything from respirators to clothing. Shocking and quite scary considering how much worse this virus could potentially be (not to understate it, but it could be a lot more lethal)

Planing like this was done by the NHS Public Health function.

After the 2013 Health and Social Care Act public health was moved out of the NHS, and put into local authorities. This was because Cameron had promised not to cut the NHS, so any bits which were to be cut were moved elsewhere

The current situation is that PHE is under DH, but the local public health teams are part of local authorities. This was always a really stupid idea, and we are reaping the consequences of it now
So the government's Public Health England department has decided to downgrade PPE. After telling us time and time again they are getting us the relevant PPE and that staff complaining we don't have enough just need to make a phone call, they are now telling us that masks can be worn for a full session.

My trust has reviewed this and has now told us we are to turn up to work and at the start of our shift, we wait outside the ward until someone inside comes and gives us one surgical mask and one pair of protective goggles. The goggles we keep indefinitely and it's up to ourselves to clean them and the surgical mask which only 2 days ago was single use only and only good for 20 minutes usage, we now have to wear for the full 12.5hr shift and we don't take them off.
Friday morning, I'd just finished doing 75 hours in 7 days, I'm f***ing knackered, unable to sleep and now I read this.
The Tories not happy they weren't able to play with the general publics lives with their 'herd immunity' bollocks have decided to play with NHS staff and patients lives instead. You couldn't f***ing make it up.

I don't know which Trust you are at, but this is what I heard (from head of procurement)

More PPE was sent to NHS frontline services. Instead of sending it out to everyone it was delivered to small number of larger hospitals for them to distribute elsewhere - other Trusts, GPs etc,

But no-one told the recieving hospitals that they had to distribute it, so they kept it all for themselves.

Shambles

Last edited:
Agreed....you just wonder how they justify their salaries when something like his kicks off....they aren't front line so don't understand what it means when staff and pts are put at risk through lack of PPE.... You wouldn't cross the road with your eyes shut! ...or in your profession press open open a release valve without doing safety checks ....I know its more involved but u know what I mean

Agreed....you just wonder how they justify their salaries when something like his kicks off....they aren't front line so don't understand what it means when staff and pts are put at risk through lack of PPE.... You wouldn't cross the road with your eyes shut! ...or in your profession press open open a release valve without doing safety checks ....I know its more involved but u know what I mean

Of course they were prepared just like the rest of the world were prepared.

This pandemic was predicted but I didn't see much in the press saying that the world is not prepared we need to stockpile PPE.

Luckily we have just been through Brexit so we are more prepared than most countries.

This pandemic was predicted but I didn't see much in the press saying that the world is not prepared we need to stockpile PPE.

Luckily we have just been through Brexit so we are more prepared than most countries.
We havent even started really

Im trying tostop commenting on the state of PPE especially after a third nurse has sadly lost her life.
to be honest.. Im suprised we didnt just make the NHS staff where full NBC.... at least that would keep them safe albeit uncomfortable.
Id rather wear an S10 than a flimsy piece of material

The current global stockpile of PPE is insufficient, particularly for medical masks and respirators; the supply of gowns and goggles is soon expected to be insufficient also. Surging global demand − driven not only by the number of COVID-19 cases but also by misinformation, panic buying, and stockpiling − will result in further shortages of PPE globally. The capacity to expand PPE production is limited, and the current demand for respirators and masks cannot be met, especially if widespread inappropriate use of PPE continues.

From WHO themselves. But yeah, the government's at fault :rolleyes:.

Back