Public Gaming

I contacted a gaming cafe in Norwich. Here is their response

Hi

The bottom line is that you cannot benefit commercially from playing video games. We do not hire out our games, we hire the TV screens and offer the games alongside them at no charge, as an enticement to our main coffee shop business.

As you may know, any business can apply for and purchase a licence for the commercial use of music, film and other entertainment activities, but for some reason the law has not yet caught up with esports and gaming so the only way to do it is to ensure you are compliant with all End User Licence Agreements with hardware/software wherever possible.

Best thing to do is contact your local council and seek their advice on the matter, as we did, and they can advise if you would need anything in particular. We have gaming as an additional element of our premises licence.

Thanks
Jon

Do you know what licences are required?
Nah you would need to contact the publishers of every game you plan to use and pay the charges they want.

I contacted a gaming cafe in Norwich. Here is their response

Hi

The bottom line is that you cannot benefit commercially from playing video games. We do not hire out our games, we hire the TV screens and offer the games alongside them at no charge, as an enticement to our main coffee shop business.

As you may know, any business can apply for and purchase a licence for the commercial use of music, film and other entertainment activities, but for some reason the law has not yet caught up with esports and gaming so the only way to do it is to ensure you are compliant with all End User Licence Agreements with hardware/software wherever possible.

Best thing to do is contact your local council and seek their advice on the matter, as we did, and they can advise if you would need anything in particular. We have gaming as an additional element of our premises licence.

Thanks
Jon
Even this is on dodgy ground imo.

anyone know the score with regards to hiring consoles out with games for people to play at corporate events, parties and weddings etc?
Build a mobile online gaming system where people can play all the classic games while out partying.

Evening Chris. There’s 2 other gaming vans in the North East. Their both nice guys who I’m sure would help out.

But in answer to your question, you do not require a licence. I asked this question with my legal team and we couldn’t find anything. For parties you definitely don’t as it’s a private booking.

The grey area comes when you do shows at a public event and if you charge whilst there.

We’ve all asked the questions and not one gaming van has found the answer. So we keep going until someone says something

Evening Chris. There’s 2 other gaming vans in the North East. Their both nice guys who I’m sure would help out.

But in answer to your question, you do not require a licence. I asked this question with my legal team and we couldn’t find anything. For parties you definitely don’t as it’s a private booking.

The grey area comes when you do shows at a public event and if you charge whilst there.

We’ve all asked the questions and not one gaming van has found the answer. So we keep going until someone says something
Fuck the law haven't you heard there are no police around, invest in a good van and build gaming machines with a choice of games make sure you have CS 1.6 marra.

END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT

LICENSE CONDITIONS AND RESTRICTIONS

You agree to only use the Game Software, or any part of it, in a manner that is consistent with this License and you SHALL NOT:

(a) without written permission from Square Enix, use, advertise or exploit in any manner the Game Software or any of its parts commercially, including but not limited to use at a cyber (Internet) café, computer gaming center or any other location-based site;

(e) sell, rent, lease, license, distribute, upload to any Internet server or web site, or otherwise transfer any portion of this Game Software or any copies without the express prior written consent of Square Enix.

@houst69 I think that's the answer you're looking for right there.

Back