Public EV chargers- is there a knack?

Here comes Tesla for other brands (trial).

Interesting to see which supercharger sites they've selected. They haven't selected a single one on the A1 by the looks of it. Thanks for posting this. Might impact my decision on which car to lease next, but also gives me a back-up to my back-up for charge points on the way to Wembley.

It's 61p per kWh without a membership, which at £10.99 a month would bring it down to 50p.

EDIT: Actually looking at the supercharger design and cable length, I don't think it'll actually plug in to cars like mine with the charge point at the front left. Rats.

Last edited:
Interesting to see which supercharger sites they've selected. They haven't selected a single one on the A1 by the looks of it. Thanks for posting this. Might impact my decision on which car to lease next, but also gives me a back-up to my back-up for charge points on the way to Wembley.

It's 61p per kWh without a membership, which at £10.99 a month would bring it down to 50p.

EDIT: Actually looking at the supercharger design and cable length, I don't think it'll actually plug in to cars like mine with the charge point at the front left. Rats.
What do you have? One of those things crying out for standardisation!

With the energy prices going through the roof, what’s it costing per kw to charge at home?
I’m still on a fixed rate. So 20p during the day or 8p overnight for me. £2.50 for 60% charge last night.
Think it’s about 20p per kWh atm

That’s about 8p a mile for me
Do you not charge yours overnight?
Think I pay about 26p a kw at home, so appx 23 quid for 230-250 miles if I do have to pay.
Good to see you again today mate 👍
Same Q for you? Do you not have an overnight rate?
I-Pace. I'll have a drive to a nearby supercharger late one night when it's empty and see if the cable will even reach. There are none near me that are open to non-Tesla drivers mind.
Can’t you drive in front first like?

Last edited:
I’m still on a fixed rate. So 20p during the day or 8p overnight for me. £2.50 for 60% charge last night.

Do you not charge yours overnight?

Same Q for you? Do you not have an overnight rate?

Can’t you drive in front first like?

No home charger for me I’m afraid.

As for the superchargers, by the looks of the length of the cable, it won’t reach either front first or reverse, but I’ll have to test that

Popped to aldi in hebburn as someone said there were some free chargers there.
Chucked 70 miles on for nowt as I strolled around the aisles.
Bit odd though as there are 2 machines with 3 different cables on but only 1 can be used at a time.

What's people's efficiency like? I was talking to a colleague with a 70-plate 40kWh Leaf and he was saying during the winter he's getting around 2.7m/kWh and that rises to low 3s for warmer weather driving. I can't help but think that's a bit naff as I know 4-4.5 is comfortably achievable during the warmer weather in a closely-related Renault Zoe.

Do you use the hazard lights trick?

The what now
What's people's efficiency like? I was talking to a colleague with a 70-plate 40kWh Leaf and he was saying during the winter he's getting around 2.7m/kWh and that rises to low 3s for warmer weather driving. I can't help but think that's a bit naff as I know 4-4.5 is comfortably achievable during the warmer weather in a closely-related Renault Zoe.

I’m not getting much better than the Leaf. Averages about to about 2.7 miles per kWh I think.

Last edited:
The what now

I’m not getting much better than the Leaf. Averages about to about 2.7 miles per kWh I think.
For MY21 and before if you put your hazard warning lights on before initiating a DC Rapid charge the car seems to follow a quicker charging curve and maintains a higher charging rate for longer.

Wyboston is on the A1. If you take the A1 instead of M1 (which is barely any time penalty) for our annual play off trips to Wembley then it’s about 200 miles from Sunderland and about 50 from Wembley

Last edited:
I know they are old tech and hopefully will be upgraded soon, but what is the point of slow public chargers? Parked in a car park today and spotted a charger so I plugged in, only to find it was a 3kw. Got about 7% in 2 hours. I know it’s free, but I’d rather pay something for a decent lump of charge than nothing for nowt.

I know they are old tech and hopefully will be upgraded soon, but what is the point of slow public chargers? Parked in a car park today and spotted a charger so I plugged in, only to find it was a 3kw. Got about 7% in 2 hours. I know it’s free, but I’d rather pay something for a decent lump of charge than nothing for nowt.

They are pointless. They’ve put slow chargers where rapid chargers need to be, and rapid chargers where slow chargers need to be.

Tesco ones always full mind.

Back