Pub Names

The Antigallican that used to be right outside the Valley.

It effectively means anti French. There were loads of pubs called this during the Napoleonic wars apparently but the name fell out of favour once we ended up being on the same side. Maybe some of the knuckledraggers who love Brexit and Boris can get it ressurected?

Other ones I like are;

The Nation of Shopkeepers in Leeds
The House of Trembling Madness in York
The Fawcett Inn, Portsmouth
The Case is Altered, Harrow
It's up for sale...was always a scruffy dive. Used to get tanked up in there 68 to 70 waiting for the overnight rent-a-riot as the coach was called. Ran out of coach companies in the end. Also used to rehearse in the "Wedding Suite" which resembled a very dusty bombsite. Last time I was there, 2 dogs were shagging in the snug, actually they were shagging outside the pub but a few of the lads moved them inside.

I once made a pub sign for my local "The pig and whistle" I thought it was quite good, but the landlord said it wasn't good enough because there wasn't enough lettering space between pig and and, and and and whistle :eek:
That comes from a quiz question.

Can you name a legitimate sentence in English with 5 consecutive ands in it.

Answer, you missed out the spaces between Dog and and and and and Duck.

Many of us frequent pubs from time to time but I’m sure we all have some great names above the door of those pubs.
A couple of strange ones as a starter
Bucket of Blood. In Hayle in Cornwall is a bit strange and Pigs Nose in East Portlemouth in south Devon
Any others that you cherubs find quirky?
The Swan and Peado

Back