Pub Apps

Slim999

Winger
Disappointed to read at the weekend that some pub chains are talking about keeping App ordering indefinitely .

Why would they want to rule out a biggish % of customers who dont have app tech ?

I use apps but if it becomes required in the pub post Covid I'd probably grab my beer In the shop & drink at home

Why do we need pub apps - when we can walk into any shop , charity shop, coffee shop etc and simply order at the counter .

If you must , then use bar staff to take table orders - but not Apps ffs

Disappointed to read at the weekend that some pub chains are talking about keeping App ordering indefinitely .

Why would they want to rule out a biggish % of customers who dont have app tech ?

I use apps but if it becomes required in the pub post Covid I'd probably grab my beer In the shop & drink at home

Why do we need pub apps - when we can walk into any shop , charity shop, coffee shop etc and simply order at the counter .

Be better if they kept them as an option for those of us happy to be waited on and keep our arses on the seat, leave the rest to order at the bar if they want

if pubs already have them set up then no harm in keeping them running, as long as one barman is watching for the orders to come through and someone is ready to wait on tables.

the rest of us can go to the bar as per usual.

best of both worlds. i think if i was a table and getting a round of 6 drinks or whatever it would be a good option to have rather than carrying 6 drinks back through a busy bar.

but for the most part, get the bars open. its 10x easier in most situations. usually when the pub isnt rammed, its just easier to walk up and order

If it's an additional option on top of being able to go to the bar then it's not an issue. Spoons have been doing this for years.

It's an option.. my local has an app and it works brilliantly for me. They will keep it they have said as it works... Doesn't stop you going to the bar or calf down a member of staff

That's a very unfounded claim considering in 2020 84% of adults owned a smartphone, and therefore by definition do have 'app tech'. I like using the app, especially when our in a group of couples where the blokes end up going to the bar everytime, worse when it's busy. I'd much rather order via an app if I have the choice. It's much better than table orders where you have to wait for someone to come round or try and catch their eye, they are only doing 1 trip to you rather than 2.

Surely they'll be keeping it as an optional service like it's been in Spoons for years? Reduces staff costs so you can see the appeal.

Best solution is don't drink in chain pubs and find a local instead.

Personally I like table service or app ordering as it means I don't have to go to the bar (especially if busy)

I don’t mind it, and once it’s on your phone it’s easy enough to order through. Trying to download one when you’re spangled is the interesting bit!

I don’t mind it, and once it’s on your phone it’s easy enough to order through. Trying to download one when you’re spangled is the interesting bit!
I had a right carry on at the cricket on Saturday trying to order a pint using the App - it was adding on service charges, tips, and then asking me to register my bank details. I didn't have my reading glasses and it was bright sunlight

In the end I just flagged down the lass who was delivering to another seat and paid cash.

All that palaver for one f@cking pint.

It will be optional man, it can be a useful additional tool.

We went to Nandos the other day - two adults and two teenagers - I asked if we could have a menu and they said no

25 minutes later after all four of us had tried to order via the app and failed - I told them if they didn't give us a menu we'd go elsewhere - they brought a menu and we ordered using that

If any restaurant or bar wants to continue with this farce after we're covid free I'll go somewhere else - where we are treat like humans and not diseased livestock

Sad times when people can't be arsed to walk to a bar to get served in a pub. Just the height of laziness imo and is part of being in a pub imo (as much as a pain it is when it's busy) and for those who don't want to use apps makes the bar slower since your taking staff away delivering stuff. If your in some fancy cocktail bar then fair enough but not your typical local.

Surely they'll be keeping it as an optional service like it's been in Spoons for years? Reduces staff costs so you can see the appeal.

Not sure about that like, some places single staff bars but if your doing table service on top of it, it leaves the bar with no staff for ages. The Mile Castle in Newcastle on the top floor used to be really bad for that to the stage it's quicker half the time to go downstairs and get served.

Not sure about that like, some places single staff bars but if your doing table service on top of it, it leaves the bar with no staff for ages. The Mile Castle in Newcastle on the top floor used to be really bad for that to the stage it's quicker half the time to go downstairs and get served.
Aye, fair enough. In my head I meant places that already do table service but I never said that. :D

Pain in the f***ing arse some of the ones ive used. Nowhere near as simple as Spoons’ app.
I had a right carry on at the cricket on Saturday trying to order a pint using the App - it was adding on service charges, tips, and then asking me to register my bank details. I didn't have my reading glasses and it was bright sunlight

In the end I just flagged down the lass who was delivering to another seat and paid cash.

All that palaver for one f@cking pint.
Ah yeah. One place in Durham was doing that. Cheeky 1% per order but it all adds up when the bar is rammed to the rafters of munters dressed like they are off to Royal Ascot smashing in the £10 cocktails and £8 Gins

Last edited:
Great to have it as an option but you do feel a bit of a lemon sitting in a quiet pub and having to order on the app when there is someone standing at the bar behind a few feet away.

App would be better when you have a large order or are in a busy pub not so good in pubs with constantly changing beer lists.

Back