PTSD help (possibly)

Sorry but that's as much hoohaa as the first post
You can walk all day and get nowhere

I honestly can't believe we have to invent these barmy imagination techniques to fix real problems
I'd last about a minute of people talking in that style
How do you think we should process those emotions?
Essential and emergency staff deal with life changing situations daily but the “coping“techniques make those situations” routine “
I’ve been present in a training day for the London air ambulance when a very well respected psychiatrist took the stage to promote a very different stance on this matter and that man left the stage in disbelief at the lack of understanding of the exposure of trauma that our crews bear witness
This subject is vast !
I’ve personally been allocated to another life changing event having not even equipped the ambulance from the last call, not cleaned the blood from the previous call, the floor of the ambulance is still slippery from the fat of amputated limbs never mind debrief and address those emotions.
I’m typing this with vivid thoughts of many calls I’ve attended in 30 + years and I’ve never ever had any formal debrief.

I understand what you are saying. As a musician you will also understand this. It took 13 years to write a song about a lost love (and more) when I was 17. 30 years later I recently played it to a friend and she said she could hear the emotion. But really I had put all that emotion in a box that I could choose to re-live when I wanted - sadness is not always a bad thing. Trivial in terms of PTSD mentioned here but the most traumatic thing I experienced.

Unfortunately real PTSD is all about memories that can't be processed due to how the brain dealt with an experience in the limbic system ( amygdala , hippocampus ) . There's a fragmentation of the event that means it can't be located in time , place and meaning . Hence the continual journey into the past to try and sort it .
It's quite distinct from depressive rumination although can look the same
You're a knowlegable chap, nice reading for me, comforting even. You can kind of explain the fragmentation by using fragmentation.

Example: We go back to past events to re-examine, which is not logical, as constructing a different outcome will change nothing, so a fools errand. If our problem is represented by an egg, we can crack it open to discover it's content...that being yolk and white, and no matter how we sub divide said egg, the contents remain the same. Breaking a problem down into smaller pieces just creates more confusion and a greater desire to find answers.

I have no qualifications, but I've kept a very mentally ill person out of an institution for 19 years...she's well, and she's my only diploma :D

Last edited:
Essential and emergency staff deal with life changing situations daily but the “coping“techniques make those situations” routine “
I’ve been present in a training day for the London air ambulance when a very well respected psychiatrist took the stage to promote a very different stance on this matter and that man left the stage in disbelief at the lack of understanding of the exposure of trauma that our crews bear witness
This subject is vast !
I’ve personally been allocated to another life changing event having not even equipped the ambulance from the last call, not cleaned the blood from the previous call, the floor of the ambulance is still slippery from the fat of amputated limbs never mind debrief and address those emotions.
I’m typing this with vivid thoughts of many calls I’ve attended in 30 + years and I’ve never ever had any formal debrief.
I'm not underestimating the situations what cause this
I'm scratching my head at these coping methods and clichéd liners being quoted
It's a very complex thing because we're all different
We've all had episodes we'd rather we hadn't and are hard to forget and we all manage and deal with things differently

It seems like they are trying something different but generic, to help the greatest number possible with a minimal resource. It personally surprises me that although sickness levels for mental health amongst emergency first responders are high, that they are not much higher given the lack of support.

It seems like they are trying something different but generic, to help the greatest number possible with a minimal resource. It personally surprises me that although sickness levels for mental health amongst emergency first responders are high, that they are not much higher given the lack of support.
It's moving in the right direction. I'd be surprised if any organisations don't have TRiM practitioners now to try and nip PTSD in the bud. Prevention is better than cure and all that.

You're a knowlegable chap, nice reading for me, comforting even. You can kind of explain the fragmentation by using fragmentation.

Example: We go back to past events to re-examine, which is not logical, as constructing a different outcome will change nothing, so a fools errand. If our problem is represented by an egg, we can crack it open to discover it's content...that being yolk and white, and no matter how we sub divide said egg, the contents remain the same. Breaking a problem down into smaller pieces just creates more confusion and a greater desire to find answers.

I have no qualifications, but I've kept a very mentally ill person out of an institution for 19 years...she's well, and she's my only diploma :D
Dr Russ Harris on you tube would probably interest you .
This subject is vast !
Hard stuff mate, stay well. There should be more done to help you .

Last edited:
I'm not underestimating the situations what cause this
I'm scratching my head at these coping methods and clichéd liners being quoted
It's a very complex thing because we're all different
We've all had episodes we'd rather we hadn't and are hard to forget and we all manage and deal with things differently
The systems are not in place to support the general public never mind a workforce
There is still a fear to put your hand up and ask for help due to sickness policies that don’t reflect the nature of the work some people do.
I have literally been pressured into going out on call straight after really shit job as there’s no other resources to send and that’s from a company who deals with life changing situations many times every minute.
Dr Russ Harris on you tube would probably interest you .

Hard stuff mate, stay well. There should be more done to help you .
I walked away from it full time 5 yrs or so ago and that’s helped.
Thanks for your concern but I’m one of the lucky ones to not carry too much I think
No doubt it you put me through some program I would end up a snotty mess though

Last edited:
The systems are not in place to support the general public never mind a workforce
There is still a fear to put your hand up and ask for help due to sickness policies that don’t reflect the nature of the work some people do.
I have literally been pressured into going out on call straight after really shit job as there’s no other resources to send and that’s from a company who deals with life changing situations many times every minute.

I walked away from it full time 5 yrs or so ago and that’s helped.
Thanks for your concern but I’m one of the lucky ones to not carry too much I think
No doubt it you put me through some program I would end up a snotty mess though
That's always a possibility sometimes best not to question what you've ' sorted' by whatever means .I was thinking along the lines of some kind of exit therapy , maybe something with a light touch might be worthwhile, more like debrief than therapy . I find particularly with police there's a lot of resentment towards the service that could do with being said on the way out .

Last edited:
That's always a possibility sometimes best not to question what you've ' sorted' by whatever means .I was thinking along the lines of some kind of exit therapy , maybe something with a light touch might be worthwhile, more like debrief than therapy . I find particularly with police there's a lot of resentment towards the service that could do with being said on the way out .
IMO, there’s no point asking the questions unless you are prepared to act on the answer

IMO, there’s no point asking the questions unless you are prepared to act on the answer
Completely understand and I'm the last one to suggest everything needs therapy . In some cases , for some me people , acting on answers can be as simple and modest as a very formal agreement with the self that " that was then , this is now , I have no need for thoughts of it" . Of course the fortunate can do that naturally, sounds like that's you. Stick in 👍

Back