PTs

Finished my PT course on the weekend! Needs assessing but should be good to go in a few weeks.

Ive never had a PT, but as @Ceverton says I imagine it’s a case of been very useful with a good one, and some poor ones to swerve.

Initially at least, I’m only planning to work with one or two people at a time and not as my full time job.

Finished my PT course on the weekend! Needs assessing but should be good to go in a few weeks.

Ive never had a PT, but as @Ceverton says I imagine it’s a case of been very useful with a good one, and some poor ones to swerve.

Initially at least, I’m only planning to work with one or two people at a time and not as my full time job.
Good luck with the PT course stuff mate, you looking to go full time at some stage with it?

I think it depends how far you want to go with it...if you need a little bit of help to get you started then a decent PT is great, but probably not much difference between them and a mate who has been training for a few years. Beyond that if you're serious about getting strong/fit then unless you do your own research you're putting off the inevitable by letting someone do the thinking/understanding for you.

For me, reading some of the stuff from Michael Matthews and Mark Rippetoe was really helpful and accessible.

I think it depends how far you want to go with it...if you need a little bit of help to get you started then a decent PT is great, but probably not much difference between them and a mate who has been training for a few years. Beyond that if you're serious about getting strong/fit then unless you do your own research you're putting off the inevitable by letting someone do the thinking/understanding for you.

For me, reading some of the stuff from Michael Matthews and Mark Rippetoe was really helpful and accessible.
Motivation is what I get from the PT
I set up all the gear in me garden but hardly touched it.
I learned a lot from Billy Trotter long time ago but I like the new ideas from the PT especially the circuit training stuff.

I haven’t got a PT but do small class stuff & get a bit 1 on 1 time for form & stuff. Got to say, it’s the motivation & excel use ideas that work for me. I always work harder & the exercises done help me create my own session when I go alone.

Agree with all that, I think as a PT I would expect to get someone on their way and motivate them and point in the right direction of things to research, get into etc - give them the basics.

I don’t really know why I would still be working with a client beyond say 3 months unless they just preferred to train with a trainer, which is fine as well.

I feel like a PT could add value beyond that but not sure it (my service at least, not speaking for anyone else, I’m just not experienced at the min) justifies an hour @ £30/40/50 etc

Hardly selling myself!

Last edited:
I feel like a PT could add value beyond that but not sure it (my service at least, not speaking for anyone else, I’m just not experienced at the min) justifies an hour @ £30/40/50 etc

Hardly selling myself!
That is very true and honest of you :cool: . You will be a good PT in time with experience, you have the right attitude straight away.

Unfortunately a lot of the £30/40 an hour PT's are blaggers, alarmingly lasses who have taken steroids and done 6 week PT courses getting loads of clients from vulnerable/desperate girls (I have seen this within last 2 years in Sunderland) thinking they will look like them easily.

That is very true and honest of you :cool: . You will be a good PT in time with experience, you have the right attitude straight away.

Unfortunately a lot of the £30/40 an hour PT's are blaggers, alarmingly lasses who have taken steroids and done 6 week PT courses getting loads of clients from vulnerable/desperate girls (I have seen this within last 2 years in Sunderland) thinking they will look like them easily.

Down here the average PT costs more than that and the things you mentioned are more common due to the volume of PTs.

The good thing is, evidence based practice is become increasingly utilised by PTs compared to 10 years ago. More people are actually reading journal articles and such. I think fewer and fewer PTs as a percentage are bodybuilders now - more PTs from different sporting/exercise backgrounds and areas of speciality.
PT had me squatting 80kg plus the bar this morning 3 x sets of 10, im 68 next month.

Congrats mate. A proper resistance training program combined with cardio will preserve your quality of life as you get older. Aside from the more well known stuff like blood pressure and such, instances of trips and falls are a lot less and tend to be less severe

Last edited by a moderator:
Down here the average PT costs more than that and the things you mentioned are more common due to the volume of PTs.

The good thing is, evidence based practice is become increasingly utilised by PTs compared to 10 years ago. More people are actually reading journal articles and such. I think fewer and fewer PTs as a percentage are bodybuilders now - more PTs from different sporting/exercise backgrounds and areas of speciality.

Congrats mate. A proper resistance training program combined with cardio will preserve your quality of life as you get older. Aside from the more well known stuff like blood pressure and such, instances of trips and falls are a lot less and tend to be less severe
He does exactly that mate, my overall mobility has come on a ton, my job is desk bound so it hadnt helped.
Love it man, the new techniques etc, previously it was what you picked up from the old backstreet gyms.

Back