PS4 Pro

I have recently got a 4k TV and I tempted to upgrade my old PS4 for one of the pro bundles that are on offer at the minute.

Has anybody here upgraded from the old PS4 to the pro and what do you think of it?

I waste so much money on gaming stuff that I shouldn't really get one like.

I upgraded, but I had a few reasons for doing so. My original PS4 developed the annoying disc drive problem where it would spit out the disc mid game, which was more than a tad frustrating. And, like you, I got a 4K TV.

For me it was worth it, things like Horizon and God Of War look incredible, the upscaling from the base model is noticeable on a 4K TV, Red Dead 2 Vistas look incredible.

For me it was worth it, with the 4K TV and my original PS4 starting to act up, it was a good deal. Depends how important slightly better visuals and load times are to you.

I upgraded, but I had a few reasons for doing so. My original PS4 developed the annoying disc drive problem where it would spit out the disc mid game, which was more than a tad frustrating. And, like you, I got a 4K TV.

For me it was worth it, things like Horizon and God Of War look incredible, the upscaling from the base model is noticeable on a 4K TV, Red Dead 2 Vistas look incredible.

For me it was worth it, with the 4K TV and my original PS4 starting to act up, it was a good deal. Depends how important slightly better visuals and load times are to you.

I only got the 4K TV because the bairn broke my old TV but now I have it I feel like I want to get the most out of it. I've watched a bit 4K TV via iplayer and it is excellent but there isn't enough 4K stuff out there at the minute and I do prefer playing games to watching TV in general.

I only got the 4K TV because the bairn broke my old TV but now I have it I feel like I want to get the most out of it. I've watched a bit 4K TV via iplayer and it is excellent but there isn't enough 4K stuff out there at the minute and I do prefer playing games to watching TV in general.

Yeah, I get it. Some of the 4K content is amazing. I guess the other consideration is the PS5, which is about 12 months away now, might be better off waiting for that to drop.

I'm hoping my first gen normal makes it through to ps5 next year. Made some funny disc drive noises the other day like. Sometimes sounds like an aircraft preparing for take off anarl.

I'm hoping my first gen normal makes it through to ps5 next year. Made some funny disc drive noises the other day like. Sometimes sounds like an aircraft preparing for take off anarl.
I usually like to buy games in disc but I've started buying download versions now because I'm worried about my disc drive packing up I think I'm going to go all digital on PS5.

I just installed a new ssd and a new fan, thermal pads and thermal paste. Half the loading time and no aircraft sounding fan. Games look nicer - ps4 pro is all good.

Yeah, I get it. Some of the 4K content is amazing. I guess the other consideration is the PS5, which is about 12 months away now, might be better off waiting for that to drop.

Good point. I usually wait about a year before buying the new gen though because the launch games aren't usually upto much.

I'd wait and get a PS5 on launch, personally. It will all be backwards compatible and you'll get a good frame rate at 4k instead of what you have now. Unless you're sat right in front of the screen I don't think you can tell the difference.

Good point. I usually wait about a year before buying the new gen though because the launch games aren't usually upto much.

Yeah, I tend to jump on board straight away (cos I'm a sap), Last Of Us Part II and Ghosts of Tsushima will end up on PS5 pretty quickly (maybe even launch titles). Plus, it will be backwards compatible, so you'd get your 4K uplift on your PS4 games with it.

Yeah, I tend to jump on board straight away (cos I'm a sap), Last Of Us Part II and Ghosts of Tsushima will end up on PS5 pretty quickly (maybe even launch titles). Plus, it will be backwards compatible, so you'd get your 4K uplift on your PS4 games with it.

I think the wise choice would be to wait but I'm sure it will be hard to resist a drunken Pro purchase when I am off over Christmas.

I'd wait and get a PS5 on launch, personally. It will all be backwards compatible and you'll get a good frame rate at 4k instead of what you have now. Unless you're sat right in front of the screen I don't think you can tell the difference.

This seems sensible like, if my PS4 was struggling now, I'd try to hold out and wait for the PS5.

Will PS5 be backwards compatible with my PS4 digital purchases or just disc versions?

I think the wise choice would be to wait but I'm sure it will be hard to resist a drunken Pro purchase when I am off over Christmas.

Hah! Yeah, too easy to go 'Oooh, I fancy one of them' *click*, *click*...and I've just spent a small fortune.
Will PS5 be backwards compatible with my PS4 digital purchases or just disc versions?

Both, they're really pushing the backwards compatibility thing.

Hah! Yeah, too easy to go 'Oooh, I fancy one of them' *click*, *click*...and I've just spent a small fortune.

Both, they're really pushing the backwards compatibility thing.
This. They want everyone to upgrade ASAP so they can stop worrying about the PS4. They reckon you can sign in and everything will just transfer.
Just think of the extra games you'll be able to afford with the saving.

Last edited:
Just open it up and give it a clean out, It'll be full of fluff and dust.

When Rdr2 came out my my was making a right racket and I couldn't hear the game for the noise so I cra ked it open and gave it a clean. It's silent now, makes a load of difference.

Just open it up and give it a clean out, It'll be full of fluff and dust.

When Rdr2 came out my my was making a right racket and I couldn't hear the game for the noise so I cra ked it open and gave it a clean. It's silent now, makes a load of difference.

I keep meaning to do this but I'm scared I will break it.

Back