Protein

I am 47, my main motivation is that I don’t want to feel embarrassed when I take the kids to water parks and to the beach. Basically at any time I want to be able to rip off my T-shirt and not want to be ashamed.

I have a slim frame, and I want to be mobile and relatively fast.

Other people want to be as big and strong as possible. They might only be topless for 1 week in 52.

When you have decided then you can tailor your diet, exercise regime and lifestyle accordingly.

I just want our lass to want to buck me marra.

I’d actually reduce the number of days you train for a start. You’ll see more growth if you give your body more time to recover.

I’d do something like a four day split along the lines of:

Monday - legs.
Tuesday - chest and triceps.
Thursday - back and biceps.
Friday - shoulders and abs.

Keep it nice and simple with a focus on the big compound lifts. Set a timer for 30 minutes and once it gets to that point, get out of the gym, go home and recover. Seriously. This is actually surprisingly difficult for most people and goes against normal gym culture. In my experience, doing more is just a waste of resources which could be applied to muscle growth.

When I was younger I would go train every single day if I could but I found it was actually hindering my progress. The additional recovery days make ample difference in terms of growth.

You should be aiming for around 3000 calories a day. With around 200g protein, that gives you around 2300 calories a day to play with from carbs and fat. So you have plenty of room for things like: sweet potatoes, rice, wholemeal toast, oats, peanut butter, almonds etc and if you’re still falling a bit short, don’t be afraid to go a bit old school and have a couple of glasses of whole milk.

Would my 5 mile walks be hindering muscle growth due to calories burnt?

If you aren't eating enough muscle growth will be hindered mate.

I never really eat enough but am now upping my protein levels quite a bit to increase muscle growth. Protein will now be around 180g a day, but am wondering if the daily walk is really not helping on all this

I never really eat enough but am now upping my protein levels quite a bit to increase muscle growth. Protein will now be around 180g a day, but am wondering if the daily walk is really not helping on all this
Do you struggle to eat enough while eating healthily? The 5 mile walk will help drop body fat but won't help with muscle growth.

Would my 5 mile walks be hindering muscle growth due to calories burnt?
If you really want to go on 5 mile walks, I’d keep it to non-lifting days at the most.

Walking is said to burn up to 100 calories per mile so if you’re already struggling to hit your daily calorie target it’s best just to conserve those calories and use them towards growth.

Personally, I find walking (4 mph pace) makes
very, very little difference whatsoever in terms of fat loss/weight loss. And although I can’t back this up with solid empirical evidence, only my own experience, I’d be surprised if the actual figure is even half of that number, as I think unless you’re walking at a speed which is moderately taxing on your heart and lungs, that kind of pace is something your body quickly becomes very efficient at handling the demands of in terms of energy expenditure. Still, whatever the actual number of calories used, better to use them towards getting bigger and stronger rather than wasting them on something which isn’t actually helping you achieve your goals.

Not sure it works like that at all tbh and it seems he struggles to eat enough not a problem with over eating.
It doesn’t. But a lot can be said for finding what works for you personally as an aid for hitting tour specified calories and protein for the day. Personally, I don’t eat breakfast anymore, just have a coffee.

to the OP, I’d say eat 1-1.2g of protein per lb of LBM (lean body mass). 180lbs at say 20% body fat= 180 x 0.8 x 1.2 = 173g protein a day

It doesn’t. But a lot can be said for finding what works for you personally as an aid for hitting tour specified calories and protein for the day. Personally, I don’t eat breakfast anymore, just have a coffee.

to the OP, I’d say eat 1-1.2g of protein per lb of LBM (lean body mass). 180lbs at say 20% body fat= 180 x 0.8 x 1.2 = 173g protein a day
Of course, that's probably going to be the answer to 90% of casual fitness questions. Far better to find something sub optimal that an individual can stick to and works to some extent than the perfect diet/routine that is hard to adhere to.

Back