Protein

Shambo

Striker
I am looking for some advice on protein intake.

Lifted weights for 2 years up to last autumn and definately saw myself grow some muscle and get a nice shape. Getting back into it now after mostly a long break and am working hard in the gym but wondering if I am getting the protein side of it not quite right.

I think right now with a chicken lunch and 2 shakes a day I am having around 100g of protein a day. I weigh around 180lbs and i think websites are saying I should actually be on 200-300g of protein a day. Does that sound right?

Would I notice a difference in my muscle gain if I went from 100g to 200g of protein a day while continuing to work out hard just the same?

For reasons I dont want to go into right now I find the actual eating and the food side of things difficult to follow and pretty confusing.

Right now I just buy a packet of already cooked chicken a day (36g protein) which I have with rice for lunch and then have 2 shakes a day. Whatever the answer I need to find a way of making it all as simple to follow and consume as possible, but first need to understand if I am getting it wrong and what i need to fix.

Appreciate any advice on this!

I am looking for some advice on protein intake.

Lifted weights for 2 years up to last autumn and definately saw myself grow some muscle and get a nice shape. Getting back into it now after mostly a long break and am working hard in the gym but wondering if I am getting the protein side of it not quite right.

I think right now with a chicken lunch and 2 shakes a day I am having around 100g of protein a day. I weigh around 180lbs and i think websites are saying I should actually be on 200-300g of protein a day. Does that sound right?

Would I notice a difference in my muscle gain if I went from 100g to 200g of protein a day while continuing to work out hard just the same?

For reasons I dont want to go into right now I find the actual eating and the food side of things difficult to follow and pretty confusing.

Right now I just buy a packet of already cooked chicken a day (36g protein) which I have with rice for lunch and then have 2 shakes a day. Whatever the answer I need to find a way of making it all as simple to follow and consume as possible, but first need to understand if I am getting it wrong and what i need to fix.

Appreciate any advice on this!
A gram to a gram and a half per pound of bodyweight as a general rule. Based on you saying you’re 180lbs, 30g of protein six times a day (including shakes) would be enough. Beyond that is just unnecessary and a waste of money and resources.

Last edited:
The protein intake is undoubtedly the hardest part of trying to build. You need a ridiculous amount especially if you're not a big eater. Some quick easy wins are peanut butter, skyr yoghurt and grenade bars (although a bit pricey). I try to get through 2 fillets of chicken or salmon a day too but its bloody hard work. I'm committing myself to 2000 plus calories and 150 - 200 grams of protein a day for the foreseeable to see if I can start getting some decent results. Everyone has their own take on Macros but I'd say as long as you are fairly even on protein and carbs and a little less on fats (stick to unsaturated) then most of the literature suggests you'll be alright. Oh yeah and aim for 0g sugar. There is absolutely nothing good about sugar (apart from the taste)!

Do you remove some of the egg yolks if you are having eggs to keep calories and fats down?
I usually have two egg yolks, and the rest egg whites. The egg yolks contain good amino acids, and I wouldn’t particularly worry about the fat and calorie count of breakfast too much. Breakfast should be your biggest meal of the day.

The protein intake is undoubtedly the hardest part of trying to build. You need a ridiculous amount especially if you're not a big eater. Some quick easy wins are peanut butter, skyr yoghurt and grenade bars (although a bit pricey). I try to get through 2 fillets of chicken or salmon a day too but its bloody hard work. I'm committing myself to 2000 plus calories and 150 - 200 grams of protein a day for the foreseeable to see if I can start getting some decent results. Everyone has their own take on Macros but I'd say as long as you are fairly even on protein and carbs and a little less on fats (stick to unsaturated) then most of the literature suggests you'll be alright. Oh yeah and aim for 0g sugar. There is absolutely nothing good about sugar (apart from the taste)!
It’s not that difficult. Example:

Four eggs and a couple of slices of turkey bacon with wholemeal toast for breakfast.

Protein shake mid morning.

Two chicken breasts, brown rice and broccoli for lunch.

Protein shake around the time of your workout.

Meat and veggies at tea time.

Snack early evening.

Micellar casein shake before bed.

That would be the budget way to do it and would get you around 180-200 grams of protein per day depending on portion size etc.
If you have the bulk of your calories at the start of the day then you’ve got the whole day ahead of you to burn them off. Obviously.

Also, if you feel full from a good breakfast you’re less likely to gorge yourself on empty calories throughout the day.

Last edited:

Four eggs and a couple of slices of turkey bacon with wholemeal toast for breakfast.

Snack early evening.

That would be the budget way to do it and would get you around 180-200 grams of protein per day depending on portion size etc.

In a perfect world where I didn't work and had no responsibilities and pottered around my city centre bachelor pad this would be my diet. I know it sounds like a cop out but I just don't have the time for that. Breakfast is the tricky part. Always a mad rush in the morning so it's a few things chucked in a blender and off to work.

Snack early evening.

If you have the bulk of your calories at the start of the day then you’ve got the whole day ahead of you to burn them off. Obviously.

Also, if you feel full from a good breakfast you’re less likely to gorge yourself on empty calories throughout the day.
Not sure it works like that at all tbh and it seems he struggles to eat enough not a problem with over eating.

In a perfect world where I didn't work and had no responsibilities and pottered around my city centre bachelor pad this would be my diet. I know it sounds like a cop out but I just don't have the time for that. Breakfast is the tricky part. Always a mad rush in the morning so it's a few things chucked in a blender and off to work.
I work but admittedly spent a lot of my day pottering around my city centre bachelor pad :lol:.

I prepare most of my meals for the week on a Sunday afternoon. It takes me about two hours and it’s honestly time well spent.
Not sure it works like that at all tbh and it seems he struggles to eat enough not a problem with over eating.
I can only give the benefit of my experience and all I can say is that it works for me and practically every person I know who isn’t a dietary fuck up.

Last edited:
I prepare most of my meals for the week on a Sunday afternoon. It takes me about two hours and it’s honestly time well spent.

A very good habit. This will make or break my ability to stick to a decent diet. Any suggestions on how I can make chicken / salmon and rice less boring. I've chucked some mixed herbs and peri peri in there but it's still an effort.

A very good habit. This will make or break my ability to stick to a decent diet. Any suggestions on how I can make chicken / salmon and rice less boring. I've chucked some mixed herbs and peri peri in there but it's still an effort.
Just add a sauce that you like, use condiments, whatever it takes to make it more palatable and easier for you to eat. It’s not going to kill you.

Ultimately, adding a few calories in the form of say a sauce is a far better compromise than bailing on your nutrition in favour of something that’s full of empty calories/no nutritional value/not conducive to your goals, whatever.

Last edited:

What is the negative if I manage to get to the correct protein levels but dont monitor my carbs & fat so they dont fall into the right areas? Does that have a negative effect on the protein intake?

What is the negative if I manage to get to the correct protein levels but dont monitor my carbs & fat so they dont fall into the right areas? Does that have a negative effect on the protein intake?
It doesn’t have an effect on the protein intake. It just means you’d be more prone to gaining fat if your intake of carbs and fat exceeds your energy output.

Protein helps you recover and build muscle. If you eat excess carbs and fat, the muscle will obviously still be there but it’ll look less defined as it’ll be underneath a layer of subcutaneous fat. Depending on your goals and outlook, this mightn’t even be such a big deal as fully clothed, it can make you appear fuller and more impressive as it can help give you the appearance of someone who actually goes to the gym, in comparison to say, your atypical 165 lb gym rat who when fully clothed looks exactly the same as a person at 165 lbs who doesn’t go to the gym at all.

Personally, own diet is higher on fats with a moderate amount of carbs as I’m on the carb sensitive side unfortunately and I have a tendency to carry a lot of water along with it.

your atypical 165 lb gym rat who when fully clothed looks exactly the same as a person at 165 lbs who doesn’t go to the gym at all.

I'd agree with most of your post apart from this bit. You can be a 165lb gym rat but look completely different from a 165lb couch potato who is the same height even when fully clothed. The shape and dimensions give it away even if you can't see the belly or upper body you can tell by the gait and the proportions, even if a little subliminal. A featherweight boxer would still look 'cut' even when completely covered up.

It doesn’t have an effect on the protein intake. It just means you’d be more prone to gaining fat if your intake of carbs and fat exceeds your energy output.

Protein helps you recover and build muscle. If you eat excess carbs and fat, the muscle will obviously still be there but it’ll look less defined as it’ll be underneath a layer of subcutaneous fat. Depending on your goals and outlook, this mightn’t even be such a big deal as fully clothed, it can make you appear fuller and more impressive as it can help give you the appearance of someone who actually goes to the gym, in comparison to say, your atypical 165 lb gym rat who when fully clothed looks exactly the same as a person at 165 lbs who doesn’t go to the gym at all.

my concern is around not eating enough carbs and fat tbh. I struggle with food and just taking on extra protein is going to be quite a challenge in itself but extra carbs and fat too feels like I may fail to get those to the right levels.

my concern is around not eating enough carbs and fat tbh. I struggle with food and just taking on extra protein is going to be quite a challenge in itself but extra carbs and fat too feels like I may fail to get those to the right levels.

A Nutri bullet helped me a lot. Definitely worth the investment. Instead of a bowl of porridge, protein shake, peanut butter on toast, yoghurt etc as separate meals you can whack it all in together.

I'd agree with most of your post apart from this bit. You can be a 165lb gym rat but look completely different from a 165lb couch potato who is the same height even when fully clothed. The shape and dimensions give it away even if you can't see the belly or upper body you can tell by the gait and the proportions, even if a little subliminal. A featherweight boxer would still look 'cut' even when completely covered up.
Both are comfortably somewhere between 160-170 at the point this was taken. McGregor might even be slightly more, as the process UFC fighters use to make weight in a short space of time is well documented in recent times. If you didn’t know who they were, it wouldn’t remotely strike you that these were two elite athletes who spend an inordinate amount of time in the gym.

Both are comfortably somewhere between 160-170 at the point this was taken. McGregor might even be slightly more, as the process UFC fighters use to make weight in a short space of time is well documented in recent times. If you didn’t know who they were, it wouldn’t remotely strike you that these were two elite athletes who spend an inordinate amount of time in the gym.

I know what you're saying but I still think it's easy to spot. Every movement, their posture and the way their clothes hang gives em away. Granted the pumped up look leaves no doubt but there's always the summer months to show off a lightweight athletes physique.

I know what you're saying but I still think it's easy to spot. Every movement, their posture and the way their clothes hang gives em away. Granted the pumped up look leaves no doubt but there's always the summer months to show off a lightweight athletes physique.
You also have to keep in mind these are multi-millionaire athletes in bespoke made to measure clothing. A regular 165 lb gym goer buying off the rack clothing is going to look even less impressive. They also won’t have the benefit of the confidence you mention that goes with being a rich superstar athlete.

My point is, for most people, for the majority of the year they’re going to be fully clothed with only maybes a 2 week beach holiday sometime around August. And in between, no-one wants to see Facebook and Instagram selfies of someone with razor abs, trust me.

The difference then for the average person between being 165 lb at 6% body fat and being 200 lb is absolutely enormous. With a decent amount of muscle mass the latter looks far more impressive even at around 20% body fat. It’s always better to apply your energies towards being big and strong than worrying about how lean you are.
What is your actual goal? How often do you train? How active are you? What is your current body fat %? Etc.

Last edited:

Back