Protein powders with bcaa's

SnakeEyes

Midfield
I'm new to protein powders and my first buy was a product called Balance 100% whey with added bcaa's. Now I've pretty much used it all and I'm thinking about getting it again. But are the added bcaa's worth the extra cost? Or should I just get a bog standard whey protein. I've tried Google but I cant find anything that relates to whey protein with added bcaa's.

No. If you want to take amino acids on top then I suggest you go for the full spectrum and take essential amino acids (EAA’s). Bcaa’s have been getting a bit of a hammering lately with their effectiveness in doubt.

I take LLS EAAs in tablet form, which you can get from amazon, before and after I run. They have a good ratio of amino acids

Have a read up on 'Protein Spiking'.

Will do. Thanks.

No. If you want to take amino acids on top then I suggest you go for the full spectrum and take essential amino acids (EAA’s). Bcaa’s have been getting a bit of a hammering lately with their effectiveness in doubt.

I take LLS EAAs in tablet form, which you can get from amazon, before and after I run. They have a good ratio of amino acids

Cheers I'll have a look.

Just read up on protein spiking. I'm not sure wether I should be surprised or not. I just bought a tub of titan. I'm going to check the label when I get in.

Last edited:
My Mrs is on a see-food diet!

Why are you taking protein powder if you don’t mind me asking? Can’t you consume it through normal food?

30 High-Protein Snacks That Are Healthy and Portable

I'm cycling 20km about 4 times a week, with a 300 metre climb. Also I've just started to lift weights about 3 or 4 weeks ago, in an attempt to gain some upper body muscle. I started to take creatine and protein shakes to help me.

I've found my legs were getting really tired and aching. I thought the creatine and shakes would help my body repair and build muscle. I'm also trying to reduce my calorie intake. As I really need to lose my bear belly.

I'm cycling 20km about 4 times a week, with a 300 metre climb. Also I've just started to lift weights about 3 or 4 weeks ago, in an attempt to gain some upper body muscle. I started to take creatine and protein shakes to help me.

I've found my legs were getting really tired and aching. I thought the creatine and shakes would help my body repair and build muscle. I'm also trying to reduce my calorie intake. As I really need to lose my bear belly.
Can’t you just eat more protein in your normal meals? You will struggle to gain muscle and fuel bike rides while cutting calories. And you’ll be knackered if you don’t rest.

Would it be easier to focus on one goal at a time?

Can’t you just eat more protein in your normal meals? You will struggle to gain muscle and fuel bike rides while cutting calories. And you’ll be knackered if you don’t rest.

Would it be easier to focus on one goal at a time?

I'm trying to add in more protein tbh. I thought I'd be able to achieve both at once tbh, with regards to building muscle and losing weight. I'm looking slimmer but it's not showing on the scales.

I'm only doing the weights 3 times per week. But the cycling I've been doing for a few years. Although this past year has been a bit hit and miss, and the increase in distance and hills with a house move has been a struggle.

I'm trying to add in more protein tbh. I thought I'd be able to achieve both at once tbh, with regards to building muscle and losing weight. I'm looking slimmer but it's not showing on the scales.

I'm only doing the weights 3 times per week. But the cycling I've been doing for a few years. Although this past year has been a bit hit and miss, and the increase in distance and hills with a house move has been a struggle.
To add muscle you will need to have a surplus of calories.

If you want to consume more protein then I don’t know why you need protein shakes unless it’s for convenience. I’d just eat loads of veg and slow burning carbs with meat.

If you don’t cycle as much over winter then you could just stick to weights and not reduce your food intake. From spring you could go out on your bike more, do a couple of weights sessions if you want to, reduce calories if you feel fat.

It depends if you want a lean or bulky body composition. It is hard work to be lean and muscley.

@supersesh has done it.

To add muscle you will need to have a surplus of calories.

If you want to consume more protein then I don’t know why you need protein shakes unless it’s for convenience. I’d just eat loads of veg and slow burning carbs with meat.

If you don’t cycle as much over winter then you could just stick to weights and not reduce your food intake. From spring you could go out on your bike more, do a couple of weights sessions if you want to, reduce calories if you feel fat.

It depends if you want a lean or bulky body composition. It is hard work to be lean and muscley.

@supersesh has done it.

Trust me to want to do both lol. The shake is for convenience tbh. I'm also doing intermittent fasting as a way to control my calorific intake. I basically miss breakfast, have the shake at lunch time, my normal evening meal at tea time with the family. I deffo need to be more disciplined with what I'm eating and drinking tbh. I tend to cycle all year round especially now we're in NZ. Although I cycled everyday with out fail in the uk lol.

Trust me to want to do both lol. The shake is for convenience tbh. I'm also doing intermittent fasting as a way to control my calorific intake. I basically miss breakfast, have the shake at lunch time, my normal evening meal at tea time with the family. I deffo need to be more disciplined with what I'm eating and drinking tbh. I tend to cycle all year round especially now we're in NZ. Although I cycled everyday with out fail in the uk lol.
It may be an idea to use myfitnesspal to gauge what you actually consume.

Yeah I've used it in the past and it really helped me. I know we're my faults are and it's mainly on a weekend with over eating and drinking beer lol
Well stop doing it pal.:rolleyes::rolleyes:;);)
You know what your doing wrong so try to curtail it. I got my qualifications off a cereal packet. :)

Prepare hard boiled eggs and take tins of tuna with ring pulls around with you.
Hard boiled eggs, food of the gods for me and in their own little wrapper.

Well stop doing it pal.:rolleyes::rolleyes:;);)
You know what your doing wrong so try to curtail it. I got my qualifications off a cereal packet. :)

Hard boiled eggs, food of the gods for me and in their own little wrapper.
The lads at work are always frapping away with their huel and protein shakes and I just have a couple of hard boiled eggs, yogurt or tuna if I need some protein.

I tend to eat leftover or defrosted meals after a dinner time gym session, or take in a cooked chicken breast to eat in a sarnie. It’s easy enough to pack away leftovers to use at work.

The lads at work are always frapping away with their huel and protein shakes and I just have a couple of hard boiled eggs, yogurt or tuna if I need some protein.

I tend to just eat leftover or defrosted meals after a gym session. It’s easy enough to pack away leftovers to use at work.
Its not rocket science mate, i worked with a right clown who every dinner time would get his protein shaker out then his little plastic box with individual places for all his different supplements. Fair play to him for the effort but his overall plan was for everybody to see him. He just got the piss ripped out of him especially when he was caught eating a pizza from under the table:lol::lol::lol:

Its not rocket science mate, i worked with a right clown who every dinner time would get his protein shaker out then his little plastic box with individual places for all his different supplements. Fair play to him for the effort but his overall plan was for everybody to see him. He just got the piss ripped out of him especially when he was caught eating a pizza under the table:lol::lol::lol:
:lol:

I am convinced that in 10 years time we will look back and wonder why gym bunnies used protein shakes so much or avoided carbs.

I don’t have any scientific proof but I have seen plenty of fads and trends.

Back