Protein Powder

The point I was making is in response to the poster who seemed annoyed by people eating what they deemed to be too much protein.

Some, like myself, do it for a specific purpose, not strictly to reap benefits of muscle growth.
I don’t think that he was annoyed he’s just asking questions.

The problem with the health industry is that cutting edge science from 5 years ago may be today’s bro-science.

I don’t think that he was annoyed he’s just asking questions.

The problem with the health industry is that cutting edge science from 5 years ago may be today’s bro-science.

But the 'science' in general is that between 0.6 - 0.8 g per lbs is optimum for natural trainees.

Everyone is different and it is impossible to say 0.6g is enough for everyone.

So not sure why there is an issue with anyone trying to reach the top end of that.

But the 'science' in general is that between 0.6 - 0.8 g per lbs is optimum for natural trainees.

Everyone is different and it is impossible to say 0.6g is enough for everyone.

So not sure why there is an issue with anyone trying to reach the top end of that.
reading a meta-analysis, it suggests there's no benefit over 1.62g per kg of body weight a day = 0.74g per lb of bodyweight, so 0.8g per lb isn't a massive kick in the arse away, it's really splitting hairs. I tend to say 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass, which for most people is 0.8g protein per lb.

As you say, even if you spill over this a bit, protein has the benefit of being satiating as well as having the highest TEF of any macro which marginally helps if cutting cals. Downsides are the cost of it, it's generally the most expensive macro.

Everything needs to be appropriate for the context. Certain people will be in a situation where protein needs will be higher, for example if very lean and doing multiple sessions a day. Some people will struggle to keep calories low unless they're eating a higher protein diet also. If you have a low protein diet with a very high carb diet, you'll like pick up a lot of protein from grains and such, which doesn't leave a lot of room for foods with sufficient leucine for optimal muscle protein synthesis. Given that there's metabolic processes that convert amino acids to glucose, but not the opposite way means that it's better to 'be safe' (although many peoples idea of that is probably way in excess of what they need for optimal results).

Also, bare in mind that individual results within a study will display anomalies so it's important not to discount what people say based upon an average (however conclusive the statistical significance is)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just bought 300g of Ashfield Cooked Turkey Slices for £1.29 in Aldi. 336 calories & 60g of protein.

Eating turkey slices would get a bit boring after a while, but I could quite happily have that for dinner, or to snack on. I’d have had a packet of McCoys at 250 calories before.

Started doing overnight oats with Greek Yoghurt, Soya Milk & a scoop of Whey. 362 calories and 35g of protein.

A few days this week I haven’t needed a protein shake.

Think I’m starting to get better with eating, I need to get a bit more fi

Bulk powders vanilla mixed with alpro coconut drink is a taste sensation, obviously so long as you like coconut and vanilla.
Keep getting emails from them with codes for 25% and 40 or 45% off too.

Bulk powders vanilla mixed with alpro coconut drink is a taste sensation, obviously so long as you like coconut and vanilla.
Keep getting emails from them with codes for 25% and 40 or 45% off too.
similarly, so is Gold standard chocolate (I'm using casein atm which isn't as nice as the whey mind) with alpro almond milk. Can't stand whey with water but don't want the cals of blue top milk.

Just bought 300g of Ashfield Cooked Turkey Slices for £1.29 in Aldi. 336 calories & 60g of protein.

Eating turkey slices would get a bit boring after a while, but I could quite happily have that for dinner, or to snack on. I’d have had a packet of McCoys at 250 calories before.

Started doing overnight oats with Greek Yoghurt, Soya Milk & a scoop of Whey. 362 calories and 35g of protein.

A few days this week I haven’t needed a protein shake.

Think I’m starting to get better with eating, I need to get a bit more fi

Is there not mad amounts of salt in the sliced turkey?

Still worth using mate. If you're eating less shite in general then it will cut your salt down anyway. There are excessive amounts of it in most pre packed foods.
If you train regularly, I wouldn't be overly concerned about sodium unless to massive excess. I eat a lot and have still tested low blood sodium concentrations on numerous occasions.
Salt isn’t something I’ve thought about. I’ve concentrated on purely calories, then come to the realisation if I hit a calorie deficit with a higher protein intake, my diet will be better & the protein means I’ll manage calories better. Was going to try & get fibre up next.

The last thing I want is to be eating a diet that bores me to death that I’ll jack in. Had a takeaway on Friday, ate not far off what I wanted with an eye on protein & im about 4,000 calories in deficit this week.

Saying that, I’m away with work next week & out on Saturday drinking. I could easily fuck that last week up:lol:

Back