Protein Powder

Haven’t used any kind of supplements for years. Put a bit weight on since October after we had another kid & gym classes & football fell off the cliff. Aim is to get rid of the fat gain & build lean muscle again. I’ve worked out I need 190g of protein for my 14st 10lb weight. I’m struggling to hit that with my current diet, I’m aware this needs to change & I'm looking at that, but in the meantime I’ll use protein shakes after a gym session & potentially after tea on a night as a sweet treat. There’s also a bit of a mentality aspect too, if I’m doing this properly, I won’t eat shit.

OP, how did you work this out?
Someone will need 190g protein, it's all relative to the person

He probably will need around that

Based on what?

His weight

You are missing the point. Think of it this way, I could just as easily derive a formula that says to build muscle you need to eat no less than 2.04 grams of sweetcorn per pound of bodyweight but it would have no scientific basis and obviously be bollocks. The whole gram of protein per pound of bodyweight is equally unfounded.
At 14 stone 10 about 130grams per day will be sufficient. Its more important to consider protein intervals and total Kcals than consuming huge quantities of protein.

Last edited:
You are missing the point. Think of it this way, I could just as easily derive a formula that says to build muscle you need to eat no less than 2.04 grams of sweetcorn per pound of bodyweight but it would have no scientific basis and obviously be bollocks. The whole gram of protein per pound of bodyweight is equally unfounded.
At 14 stone 10 about 130grams per day will be sufficient. Its more important to consider protein intervals and total Kcals than consuming huge quantities of protein.

To be fair, calories in & out is the primary focus, but there was also an acknowledgment that I wasn’t getting enough protein. I should be consuming more through food though & that will be something I look to change.

I'm not missing the point, I did some quick maths using the 0.8g per lbs

But because I did the maths for his body weight in lbs and 0.8g per lbs I was I bit off :lol:

I just aim for 0.8g per lbs and it is serving me well atm

To be fair, calories in & out is the primary focus, but there was also an acknowledgment that I wasn’t getting enough protein. I should be consuming more through food though & that will be something I look to change.
That was my problem - I was struggling to even hit 100g a day and I was over 15st (14st10 now).

Changed the focus of a lot of my meals (salad with either chicken, tuna or Quorn for lunch in place of oatcakes and Dairylea; replaces my shreddies with no added sugar/salt muesli made with half a serving of whey protein in place of milk etc) and now I’m exceeding the MyFitnessPal target of 160g every day easily.

That was my problem - I was struggling to even hit 100g a day and I was over 15st (14st10 now).

Changed the focus of a lot of my meals (salad with either chicken, tuna or Quorn for lunch in place of oatcakes and Dairylea; replaces my shreddies with no added sugar/salt muesli made with half a serving of whey protein in place of milk etc) and now I’m exceeding the MyFitnessPal target of 160g every day easily.
Focusing a little bit harder on the protein aspect has helped my overall diet too. There’s a little bit of a better mindset, which arguably I shouldn’t need, but it could take months for this effort to become a good habit diet wise. Ideally, I might not need protein supplements at some point.

I have a scoop of PHD Diet Whey for breakfast then either granola and greek yoghurt or porridge. I've found that keeps me feeling fuller for longer and it stops me snacking on crap at work during the day.

I add a little more water than recommended to the whey as it's makes it easier to swallow.

I'm not missing the point, I did some quick maths using the 0.8g per lbs

But because I did the maths for his body weight in lbs and 0.8g per lbs I was I bit off :lol:

I just aim for 0.8g per lbs and it is serving me well atm

Sorry dude, you are still missing the underlying question I am asking.

I understand you are using the figure of 0.8g per pound, thats lovely. But what actual reason do you have for using that number/fomulae?

Last edited:
Sorry dude, you are still missing the underlying question I am asking.

I understand you are using the figure of 0.8g per pound, thats lovely. But what actual reason do you have for using that number/fomulae?

I haven't missed any point.

Even in the article you posted is says

"There is normally no advantage to consuming more than 0.82g/lb (1.8g/kg) of protein per day to preserve or build muscle for natural trainees"

So why shouldn't I try to hit that when I'm getting it all from food?

Protein provides more satiety than the other macros. You may not see any benefit from eating more than a certain amount but it can and does help keep you from overeating.

Maybe true but 300 cals of spinach or porridge would fill you up too.

You'd need to pagger a fair whack of either for what you could get from 300 calories of chicken breast mate.

I'm on a protein based cut at the minute, for example. 60% or thereabout of my calories need to be protein. Yes, I may not be benefiting from the extra grams, but they're replacing the carbs and fat I'm not currently eating.

You'd need to pagger a fair whack of either for what you could get from 300 calories of chicken breast mate.

I'm on a protein based cut at the minute, for example. 60% or thereabout of my calories need to be protein. Yes, I may not be benefiting from the extra grams, but they're replacing the carbs and fat I'm not currently eating.
That’s my point. If you want to feel full then you don’t just have to eat protein.

I could have a bowl of porridge and a whey shake mixed with water. You could eat some chicken.

That’s my point. If you want to feel full then you don’t just have to eat protein.

I could have a bowl of porridge and a whey shake mixed with water. You could eat some chicken.

The point I was making is in response to the poster who seemed annoyed by people eating what they deemed to be too much protein.

Some, like myself, do it for a specific purpose, not strictly to reap benefits of muscle growth.

Back