Prostate Cancer

Yes, but it spreads to the bones or lungs in many cases. .once that happens, your fucked. My Dad has it, Doctors said its dormant and very low risk. He fell during lockdown and damaged his hip. A bone scan unearthed a large cyst in his hip caused by mastitic bone cancer, which spread from his prostate. We are all gutted, and this could have been a voided easily with treatment.

That's terribly sad news mate. My Dad also has what appears to be a dormant prostate cancer. He went through the a rectal examination, MRI and biopsy and was told he has a small 'infected' area which they have been monitoring with PSA checks every 3 months. He has had it for nearly 2 years and says he feels fine - although he still has to piss a couple of times during the night. His PSA hasn't budged much - in fact it had lowered last time it was checked. He isn't a brave soul, so will do everything possible to avoid any suggested threat of surgery - even though the removal of his prostate would be probably the best route....

Yes, but it spreads to the bones or lungs in many cases. .once that happens, your fucked. My Dad has it, Doctors said its dormant and very low risk. He fell during lockdown and damaged his hip. A bone scan unearthed a large cyst in his hip caused by mastitic bone cancer, which spread from his prostate. We are all gutted, and this could have been a voided easily with treatment.

You’ve hit the nail on the head with the ‘could have been avoided’ bit..my Dad was diagnosed almost 2 years ago to the day..his was bad like..he died on September 9th last year..anyone round the 50 mark who hasn’t been checked out..crackers..get it checked.

Bloke at work was going to get his checked out. I joked, "I hope the doc has fat fingers and doesn't take his sovereign rings off". He laughed and said that he was getting his done 'digitally' according to letter and there would be no such 'puffery' involved. I took great delight in explaining what digital really meant.

That's terribly sad news mate. My Dad also has what appears to be a dormant prostate cancer. He went through the a rectal examination, MRI and biopsy and was told he has a small 'infected' area which they have been monitoring with PSA checks every 3 months. He has had it for nearly 2 years and says he feels fine - although he still has to piss a couple of times during the night. His PSA hasn't budged much - in fact it had lowered last time it was checked. He isn't a brave soul, so will do everything possible to avoid any suggested threat of surgery - even though the removal of his prostate would be probably the best route....
Knowing what we know now, I would plead with anyone to get it removed. My dads PSA was very low, in fact I don't think they even checked it the last few year. It took him ti have a fall for them to discover it. So say we are fuming is an understatement.

Best wishes to everyone dealing with prostrate cancer.

I had a transperineal biopsy the week before last and expect the result early this week. So far, I've been relaxed about it. Not sure how I'll take it if the news is bad.

Of my small group of friends locally, two have been diagnosed this year. The first is only 54 and had a radical prostatectomy during lockdown. The other is just short of 70 and refused surgery or radiotherapy - he has opted for just monitoring the cancer.

It's been a bad year all round as another friend and neighbour died of an a non-cancer illness last month.

I had the blood test that indicated slightly raised PSA because I have been getting the symptoms of an enlarged prostrate like getting up to urinate during the night. I am told that is the way a lot of men are diagnosed with prostrate cancer. Yet, the two are not necessarily related. Cancer can be present in the prostrate without any symptoms. That is why it's vital that men over fifty are tested regularly - I am surprised that it's not done as a matter of course.

Like an idiot, I refused a blood test a few years ago. If you are an older man, don't hesitate like me. Get it done, now.

Last edited:
Yeah I can't stress how important it is to get checked out, both of my Granda's died from it and my dad and his brother have both had it and had their prostates removed. Neither of them had any symptoms and my dad only went to stop my mam nagging him, his was at the final stage of it where it was just about to leave his prostate and spread so he was very lucky. That was about 13 or so years ago and they are both still with us so do get checked out.

There seems to be a phobia with men.. about having the Prostate exam.. finger up the hoop etc.

Please if you haven’t had the exam.. get it done.. 5 mins thats all it takes.
It could save your life

There seems to be a phobia with men.. about having the Prostate exam.. finger up the hoop etc.

Please if you haven’t had the exam.. get it done.. 5 mins thats all it takes.
It could save your life
Finger up the butt is nothing to worry about, the biopsy is a bit more to grit your teeth over and get it done for the good of your health but it's eye wateringly painful 😬

I didn’t find the biopsy too uncomfortable but it isn’t always very accurate, nor does it detect if the cancer has spread outside of the prostate, as mine had done. I asked the consultant for an MRI scan which gave the surgeon a clearer picture of how much more he had to hack away. The Gleason Score on the biopsy from the removed prostate was also much higher than the one taken from the snips up the bum. My next follow up quarterly PSA blood test is next week.

Biopsy isn’t too bad. Out of 24 samples taken only one was painful - I presume there was a problem with the local anaesthetic. It is was unpleasant and invasive but mercifully is over quickly. It does take a while to recover from it. About two weeks in my case. The urology nurse told me this to be expected.

I got my biopsy result from her by telephone this morning. I do have prostrate cancer but only a 6 so I don’t need any treatment just monitoring. As the MRI scan indicated it might have spread, I am delighted. Will get the full story tomorrow. Maybe, the devil will be in the detail. In the meantime, I’m off to celebrate at pub now.

As it's very difficult to get a doctor's appointment now, nevermind cancer checks. There are and will continue to be a lot more people dying of cancer. Fuck Covid.

As it's very difficult to get a doctor's appointment now, nevermind cancer checks. There are and will continue to be a lot more people dying of cancer. Fuck Covid.

That's very sad because often it's treatable if caught early enough. There are not many symptoms at that stage so it's important for men of a certain age to have the blood test.

Found out yesterday that the Urology Nurse was wrong to tell me that I just needed ongoing monitoring. She'd jumped to the conclusion because my cancer isn't particularly aggressive. The consultants overruled her at their meeting and decided I need surgery or radiotherapy.

Apparently, they can see from the MRI scan that the cancer is bulging out of the side of the prostrate. Hopefully, they've caught it before it spreads elsewhere.

Although disappointed that I'll be going through unpleasant treatments, I've got consider myself fortunate that we may have caught it in time.

I had some blood tests a few weeks ago, but the GP either forgot to ask for a PSA test or didn't think it was important. I had to ask for it later which I might not have done if my wife who is a nurse hadn't nagged me. You can't rely on the medical profession completely, you have to take responsibility for your own well being.

We found the same thing when my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer years ago. It took two or three years for them to realise the lump that she had been aware of all along was cancer. By that time it had broken out and reached the lymph nodes which might have been disastrous. If that happened to her who is a nurse and switched on about such things, what chance have the rest of us got.

If you're a man over fifty press your GP for the PSA test. It might save your life.

That's very sad because often it's treatable if caught early enough. There are not many symptoms at that stage so it's important for men of a certain age to have the blood test.

Found out yesterday that the Urology Nurse was wrong to tell me that I just needed ongoing monitoring. She'd jumped to the conclusion because my cancer isn't particularly aggressive. The consultants overruled her at their meeting and decided I need surgery or radiotherapy.

Apparently, they can see from the MRI scan that the cancer is bulging out of the side of the prostrate. Hopefully, they've caught it before it spreads elsewhere.

Although disappointed that I'll be going through unpleasant treatments, I've got consider myself fortunate that we may have caught it in time.

I had some blood tests a few weeks ago, but the GP either forgot to ask for a PSA test or didn't think it was important. I had to ask for it later which I might not have done if my wife who is a nurse hadn't nagged me. You can't rely on the medical profession completely, you have to take responsibility for your own well being.

We found the same thing when my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer years ago. It took two or three years for them to realise the lump that she had been aware of all along was cancer. By that time it had broken out and reached the lymph nodes which might have been disastrous. If that happened to her who is a nurse and switched on about such things, what chance have the rest of us got.

If you're a man over fifty press your GP for the PSA test. It might save your life.
Pleased they’ve spotted it for you hope all goes ok with the OP

You’re right in what you say about the blood tests.but they themselves are flawed. When I had one the results were so high they reckoned I should be dead, I had an infection and fever at the time and put it down to that but they monitored it for a month and even though it dropped a lot it was still above the norm so they insisted on the biopsy which wasn’t a pleasant experience. That came back clear and they put it down to the infection which was frustrating but better to be safe than sorry I suppose.

Back