Proper Roker End

It was brilliant man. Clive walker hatrick against Man U!
Was in the Roker that day, fantastic!!
Started off in the Fulwell end in 79 I think it was, Marangonis debut, against Cardiff I think. Went mostly in the Fulwell unless there was a big away following expected then went in the Roker for the atmosphere/crack

Last game I was in the Roker was v Spurs in 1990
Best memory is probably the last game of the 76 promotion season when we beat Portsmouth. Didn't know the highlights were online, brilliant stuff

Was in the Roker that day, fantastic!!
Started off in the Fulwell end in 79 I think it was, Marangonis debut, against Cardiff I think. Went mostly in the Fulwell unless there was a big away following expected then went in the Roker for the atmosphere/crack
I know the place was falling down when we left but it's a shame that so many 1000s of fans never experienced it. I went to loads of the old or pre-development grounds in the top 3 divisions and there were some crackers but Roker was special. Especially full with the lights on.. the noise was thunderous.

Last game I was in the Roker was v Spurs in 1990
Best memory is probably the last game of the 76 promotion season when we beat Portsmouth. Didn't know the highlights were online, brilliant stuff

I was at this game with my mates, but was stood in the Fulwell.
The 75-76 season was when I started going regularly to Roker Park, with a few mates from Hartlepool.

Who were the mad bastards who used to stand on the roker end in weather like last night?
Always amazed me that, 3 sides of roker were covered, the roker could be battered by the weather on a Tuesday night in November v someone shit and hardly souls would decide on the roker end.
Moved to the Roker End from The Fulwell in about 92 when they brought in the Gold Cards and I was too lazy to get 2 buses and a train from Whitley Bay to Roker Park to renew my membership.
There were some f***ing cold nights on that terrace.

Moved to the Roker End from The Fulwell in about 92 when they brought in the Gold Cards and I was too lazy to get 2 buses and a train from Whitley Bay to Roker Park to renew my membership.
There were some f***ing cold nights on that terrace.

You could go in the roker end or clockstand without a gold card couldn't you?

Used to stand where the entrance was about 20 yards dead centre behind the goal. Leaning on the wall, nobody standing front. Perfect view

I can still picture the view under flood lights now.

Started late 60s in Fulwell. Moved to Roker boys end after Xmas 72 when crowds had picked up.....then later up to the back centralism. Basically stayed there until closure only moving when turned out by safc to allow insurgents in. The Daintees brothers and their marras were generally in the vicinity for a long stretch.
You could go in the roker end or clockstand without a gold card couldn't you?
If a gold card was membership aye. Cost more to go in the open than the covered yet we still went in cos it was quicker from The Cambridge.

Last edited:
Funny where you view the match from over the years and why. Started in the Fulwell as a kid as we had season tickets. Stayed there for a few years as I thought the ‘chanters’ was where it was at. Graduated to the Roker around 72. As a young hooligan the allure of away fans was irresistible! In the late 70’s I went through a bit of a sensible faze and moved to the clock stand. Enjoyed the view better and stayed there till the demise of Roker Park. Interestingly, I never watched a Sunderland match in the main stand (watched a couple of national schools matches from there). Also I’ve never watched a match from the seats at Roker. (Apart from the Fulwell in 66). With regards to the weather........ back in the day , never noticed it - busy focussing on the footy and scrapping!

Some can remember when the fullwell end was uncovered
I think the roof went up in '66 when they put the wooden benches in for the World Cup. Might have been a bit earlier. I was a Roker-ender from the late 50s when I went with my Dad. I would stand on a swing-thing hooked over the spikes on the back wall, and when the footy was rubbish I would watch the shipping in and out of the harbour. When they put the 'boys end' in at the front, maybe in '62(?) I would go there with my mates. Paddocks and the Fullwell were only for Cup games. I only sat in the grandstand once, when I took my Dad for his last game, against Derby in 1990.

Back