Proper Roker End

Roker End was amazing. My first game was there in the late 70-s. We beat someone 5-0 or 5-1 and Stan Cummins scored 4 goals. That was it for me. What a day. Used to go in the Roker End regularly with me dad. Remember checking the scoreboard in the program at HT and you always knew that the Mags were A so if they were getting beat a cheer would go up. Some things never change. Also remember being in the Roker when we played Ipswich one Saturday. They were a great side and Eric Gates scored a beauty for them in the Roker End.

Never forget that Notts County game, Hank. In fact me and my brother were just talking about it last night. Water coming down the steps like a waterfall!
Although I had a few seasons in the Fulwell, the vast majority of my many years at Roker were in the Roker End...Always preferred there despite the weather.

When we were getting the train home there was steam coming off our coats cause of the heat

My programme actually melted into my coat pocket 😂

Always in the centre of the Roker just to the right of the goal half way up

Roker End was amazing. My first game was there in the late 70-s. We beat someone 5-0 or 5-1 and Stan Cummins scored 4 goals. That was it for me. What a day. Used to go in the Roker End regularly with me dad. Remember checking the scoreboard in the program at HT and you always knew that the Mags were A so if they were getting beat a cheer would go up. Some things never change. Also remember being in the Roker when we played Ipswich one Saturday. They were a great side and Eric Gates scored a beauty for them in the Roker End.

Ther e ya gan marra your first game

Who were the mad bastards who used to stand on the roker end in weather like last night?
Always amazed me that, 3 sides of roker were covered, the roker could be battered by the weather on a Tuesday night in November v someone shit and hardly souls would decide on the roker end.
Me, from 1967 till around 1993 when I started taking the kids in the fulwell.
Never forget that Notts County game, Hank. In fact me and my brother were just talking about it last night. Water coming down the steps like a waterfall!
Although I had a few seasons in the Fulwell, the vast majority of my many years at Roker were in the Roker End...Always preferred there despite the weather.
Notts County, the RE emptied apart from about 200. One of them was me, t shirt and jeans, stood me ground. Used to be on the intro to Shoot on a Sunday afternoon!

Last edited:
Who were the mad bastards who used to stand on the roker end in weather like last night?
Always amazed me that, 3 sides of roker were covered, the roker could be battered by the weather on a Tuesday night in November v someone shit and hardly souls would decide on the roker end.
Stood in the Roker even when the lid went on the Fulwell. Mad teenager who thought those who migrated to the Fulwell were traitors. Stayed in the Roker for a full season after that but ended up moving for the singing not because if the weather. Seem to remember the weather being class for the Celtic friendly. Enjoying the sun while they trashed the ground. First and only time I was scared in the Roker.

Speaking of the old Roker end. What was the craic with the 'graduation'? Start in the Roker, serve your time, move to the Fulwell (where a lot stayed for years). But a lot moved to the paddocks, clock or main stand seats.

Was it just price difference and people having more spare cash as they got older? I remember the gold card for the Fulwell too.

I was just a young 'un and had uncles with season tickets, so ended up in the main stand seats very quickly.

Teach me O' wise and learned SMB.

reckon most folk will have different reasons,tho mine was the wife stopped coming with me and me old mates were Roker enders,so naturally i just joined in

Me and I used to love it..

PS last neet wasn't that bad tbh..

Was a Fulwell ender from circa 63 as a 4 year old, my first venture into the Roker end, pretty sure it was early 78 v Spurs, & sure I was with Reiver, can't remember why we went in that end,
anyway, got onto the terrace just before kick off, decided I'd go back & get a programme, got down just as the Spurs fans were comming in, was hell on & got caught up in the ruckus, ended
up getting lifted, so for a 300 mile round trip I'd seen the pitch for about 2 fooking mins, never went in the Roker end again.

Back