Proper Roker End

Served me time in the Roker end, dinnat feel the cold when your'e young though. Class times wouldn't change owt.

Remember being there with me dad on a freezing night against Southampton - was baltic. Mccoist scored a pearler past shilton and won 2-0. Am sure it was a bottom v top game as well - must have done a few coupons In.

Moi recall Crystal Palace & Notts county downpours

Been gan since 1979 always in the roker
I remember being in the Roker for an early season game against Birmingham, who had a young and brilliant Trevor Francis, must have been about 1971. The rain was incredible. Stair rods...and there were only about 7,000 of us daft enough to be there. Not sure if my memory is playing tricks but Bobby Park might have got one of his bad leg fractures in this game.
Also remember the peanut man ("tanna-a-bag, peanuts!') throwing them up from the cinder track into the Roker End.
Great place to watch the action. Also got a Roker End ticket for the 1973 Man City replay...got a perch where the Roker joined the Clock Stand, quite high up, a brilliant view of the greatest night (IMO) Roker Park ever saw...what an atmosphere, what a performance and what a team.

one of those mad bastads here,loved the old Roker end like,:cool:had some reet sowkins owa the years,but after making the transition from the wing stand paddocks i wouldn't gan anywhere else

I used to stand under the floodlights with my back to the barrier but you could end up anywhere when the crowd started to move. Remember the cup games v Leeds in 67. Bedlam. Man U in 63 was worse. Fancy getting over 160k supporters watch those 3 cup games against ManU. Exciting times.

Moi recall Crystal Palace & Notts county downpours

Been gan since 1979 always in the roker
Never forget that Notts County game, Hank. In fact me and my brother were just talking about it last night. Water coming down the steps like a waterfall!
Although I had a few seasons in the Fulwell, the vast majority of my many years at Roker were in the Roker End...Always preferred there despite the weather.

I always said that the softies stood in the Fulwell and real me like me stood in the Roker End.

The weather meant nothing to us. I wish I could find the ITV footage of a match at Roker Park in the 1970's with Brian Moore (IRC) in an open commentary position on the top of the Clock Stand and the rain absolutely pissing down on him and the assembled masses in the Roker End. The TV director made a point of recording it just to show how bad it was.

I remember being in the Roker for an early season game against Birmingham, who had a young and brilliant Trevor Francis, must have been about 1971. The rain was incredible. Stair rods...and there were only about 7,000 of us daft enough to be there. Not sure if my memory is playing tricks but Bobby Park might have got one of his bad leg fractures in this game.
Also remember the peanut man ("tanna-a-bag, peanuts!') throwing them up from the cinder track into the Roker End.
Great place to watch the action. Also got a Roker End ticket for the 1973 Man City replay...got a perch where the Roker joined the Clock Stand, quite high up, a brilliant view of the greatest night (IMO) Roker Park ever saw...what an atmosphere, what a performance and what a team.
I remember that Birmingham game, Hunter. There were only 7000 there because the story got out that the match was postponed and lots ( myself included) didn't go because of that. I think you're right about Bobby Park getting that injury then.
Glad to see that you're still visiting the board although not getting on as much?

I remember that Birmingham game, Hunter. There were only 7000 there because the story got out that the match was postponed and lots ( myself included) didn't go because of that. I think you're right about Bobby Park getting that injury then.
Glad to see that you're still visiting the board although not getting on as much?
I like tbe occasional dip in and out of the board. Must admit I got a bit vexed when a few had a go at me when I questioned whether some of the constant super-critics on here were genuine fans. Maybe they had a point...who am I to judge on who's a 'proper' fan? They still rile me though.
And, let's be honest, that's what many people on here set on to do on the first place!
Glad my thoughts on that rainy Brum game rang a bell. Bobby is a smashing bloke. Got to know him quite well in the 80s.

Speaking of the old Roker end. What was the craic with the 'graduation'? Start in the Roker, serve your time, move to the Fulwell (where a lot stayed for years). But a lot moved to the paddocks, clock or main stand seats.

Was it just price difference and people having more spare cash as they got older? I remember the gold card for the Fulwell too.

I was just a young 'un and had uncles with season tickets, so ended up in the main stand seats very quickly.

Teach me O' wise and learned SMB.

On the turnstiles on the Roker End. Lads starting their run up on the opposite side of the road, running over and clearing the turnstiles. Happy days.

Some can remember when the fullwood end was uncovered
Dad made me go in there one cold rainy night just so I could say I'd experienced it. I was soaked through to my skin. I think he thought it was character building 😂
Wettest I’ve ever been was the “monsoon” derby at st james park

Last edited:
I recall a lad in the 1960s buying a boveral at half time, warmed his hands then threw it away after it served its purpose of hand warming declared it unfit for consumption

Back