Proper Roker End

Always loved standing as a young un. Sealand Road End at Chester for Saturdays and midweek, The Kop for European games, and The Fulwell End (will always be my spiritual home) whenever I got the chance to visit family. Saw Ian Rush score from all 3. Every now and then in The Roker End, but mostly either when The Fulwell was full when I got there or, bizarrely, several times when I knew some of the away fans who were going.

Mickey, I think you're right about the roof in the Fulwell... put up at the same time, or near enough, when the "seats" were put in for the World Cup in 1966. I'm old enough to remember looking at it uncovered from the Roker End many times as I too started in the late 50's there with my granda.
Got me thinking about where I'd watched from. Vast majority in the Roker, several seasons in the Fulwell when the chanting started, one from the Clock Stand when it was standing, one memorable match from the main stand paddock (Man Utd in the never to be forgotten 63-64 FA Cup match when the gates were broken), and a season in the main stand when I was luck enough to get a free seat most weeks.
Happy days!
Roker ender almost every game until I moved away aged 19. Oddly, that was one of only a handful of matches I saw from the main paddock. I wonder if that was because of the queue we got in for tickets? I'm pretty sure I bunked off school with my mates, who had all been with me at Old Trafford, to get tickets.
What a night BTW! The tension was unbearable going into the last minutes until the buggers equalised. Set me up for a lifetime of broken dreams as a Sun'land fan, but the experience of the mighty Roker Roar in all it's awesome power, kind of makes up for it..

Last edited:
Moved to the Roker End from The Fulwell in about 92 when they brought in the Gold Cards and I was too lazy to get 2 buses and a train from Whitley Bay to Roker Park to renew my membership.
There were some f***ing cold nights on that terrace.
Ha the gold cards!! I’m sure the club had some drill type machine that would gauge out the numbers on the back of the card as you bought any away tickets!!

'Always liked the Roker End, never really liked the Fulwell. Clockstand Paddocks or the Roker End were my preferred choices. 'Only times I remember being in the Fulwell were when I couldn't get in anywhere else, such as Coventry League Cup or Chelsea FA Cup, or Chelsea Milk Cup. 'Never really thought about why before, and now that I think about it still don't know why, but much preferred the Roker End to the Fulwell End. I can remember being in the Fulwell for Birmingham at home around 1986, Dave Buchanan playing, but can't remember why I went in there, and Paul and Simon on the radio/tannoy about half 2.

Man Utd fa cup replay we were moved to the clock stand saw Phil gray goal brilliantly

Started off in the Roker end in what we called the 'boys end' (as in children) behind the goal. Anyone remember if it was really called that or 'the children's enclosure ?

I think the turnstiles had "boys" written on rather than children.

Ha the gold cards!! I’m sure the club had some drill type machine that would gauge out the numbers on the back of the card as you bought any away tickets!!
Yeah, that's it. Away games or ticketed games. Think my card got drilled for the Ipswich (h) game in the run up to the cup final

Who were the mad bastards who used to stand on the roker end in weather like last night?
Always amazed me that, 3 sides of roker were covered, the roker could be battered by the weather on a Tuesday night in November v someone shit and hardly souls would decide on the roker end.

I was one of those "clowns", huddled together to protect from the howling wind, battering rain and snow playing against sh*t...but wouldn't have missed it

Mid to late 70's always in the Roker End.
Stood under #17 at the back with Touchline Tommy 👍 😎
Me fatha and his mates stood under no. 17 . When the wind was coming off the sea you could feel the right hand side of your brain freezing .
I used to sit main stand Roker end seats... used to watch out for Gilly (Stanley) lad. He used to stand in the Roker in all weathers in just his “Ally McCoist” safc home top!!! Absolutely crackers he was. RIP Gilly
Didn't know Gilly was dead FFS . We all called him mad Gilly . Another character gone . RIP.
Not as wet as when Maguire plays ;)
Bad girl , naughty girl .

Last edited:

Back