Pronation when walking

Drexl

Winger
Feet naturally roll inwards when walking/running. Got some orthotics to help but even they don’t work when I’m not wearing the correct shoes. Do any smb’ers have experience with this? Honestly feels like my whole body from the hips down is out of whack.

confused as it was never a problem I had as a youngun when I’d play football non stop. Now if I play I’m laid up for a few days after.

Might be from hips or back ?
If you sunderland try get to see Steve Riley SR Acupuncture
From what I’ve been told it’s a combination of under active arch in my feet and tight hips. I’ve just watched a good video on strengthening feet arches so think I might ditch the orthotics for a bit and see how it goes.

What footwear are you using to walk in? You could get your gait analysed at a running shop and they should advise the best running trainers to use.

It's more usual to walk on the inside of the foot but run on the outside of the foot.
But it's a personal thing. Everyone is different.

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with overpronation.
There are videos online of Haile Gebrselassie looking at his feet as he runs at world record pace.

He overpronates but it suits his body, it's how he has always run and, although physiotherapists and coaches will tell you it needs correcting, if you were to correct his running style he wouldn't have run world records.
Don't just assume your running style is wrong because you overpronate.
If you think it's a problem and correct it then it may be that the correction becomes the problem.
Just find what's comfortable and natural for you instead of assuming pronation is the problem.

No need to reply, and this is based purely on personal experience, but how much weight are you carrying? I used to get crippled with shin splints when I was younger, went down the orthotics route and they helped. Then, lost a load of weight and shin splints have disappeared too, with no need for orthotics. Similar theme with snoring actually, tried all the tricks, losing weight sorted it.

Hope you get sorted soon mate.

No need to reply, and this is based purely on personal experience, but how much weight are you carrying? I used to get crippled with shin splints when I was younger, went down the orthotics route and they helped. Then, lost a load of weight and shin splints have disappeared too, with no need for orthotics. Similar theme with snoring actually, tried all the tricks, losing weight sorted it.

Hope you get sorted soon mate.
Nah not a weight thing, I’m slim. Cheers though.
It's more usual to walk on the inside of the foot but run on the outside of the foot.
But it's a personal thing. Everyone is different.

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with overpronation.
There are videos online of Haile Gebrselassie looking at his feet as he runs at world record pace.

He overpronates but it suits his body, it's how he has always run and, although physiotherapists and coaches will tell you it needs correcting, if you were to correct his running style he wouldn't have run world records.
Don't just assume your running style is wrong because you overpronate.
If you think it's a problem and correct it then it may be that the correction becomes the problem.
Just find what's comfortable and natural for you instead of assuming pronation is the problem.
The issue I have is it causes me a lot of pain in my shins (not the bone but the muscle on the outside of the bone).
What footwear are you using to walk in? You could get your gait analysed at a running shop and they should advise the best running trainers to use.
My go to pair are a pair of Brooks Gts, they’re probably the best I’ve ever had and help a lot. I decided to purchase a pair of shoes from Atreyu running which I’ve found aren’t supportive enough for my arch so I’ve been doing arch strengthening exercises to help, but it’s annoying me how I’m limited to what footwear I can have, as well as how easily my shins are tight and painful. Previously seen a bloke in newcastle who analysed my gait etc and measured me for orthotics but starting to think I need to solve this more traditionally

Last edited:
Nah not a weight thing, I’m slim. Cheers though.

The issue I have is it causes me a lot of pain in my shins (not the bone but the muscle on the outside of the bone).

My go to pair are a pair of Brooks Gts, they’re probably the best I’ve ever had and help a lot. I decided to purchase a pair of shoes from Atreyu running which I’ve found aren’t supportive enough for my arch so I’ve been doing arch strengthening exercises to help, but it’s annoying me how I’m limited to what footwear I can have, as well as how easily my shins are tight and painful. Previously seen a bloke in newcastle who analysed my gait etc and measured me for orthotics but starting to think I need to solve this more traditionally
I don't believe in orthotics. If you can, I'd pop into start fitness and have a chat.

What are your day to day footwear? I can't go for a walk in my running trainers, too uncomfortable.

I don't believe in orthotics. If you can, I'd pop into start fitness and have a chat.

What are your day to day footwear? I can't go for a walk in my running trainers, too uncomfortable.
I wear my brooks quite a lot. I’ve found even flat shoes with orthotics in give me a bad back

You think the elevation might be causing discomfort? I’m willing to try anything so will give wearing flats a go.
I see a bloke, sr acupuncture and tui na, he realigns my body. The first time I went to see him was when I was having massive discomfort in my heel/calf. Just before my appointment I had been to see a biomechanical expert at Westoe practice who recommended a heel rise in one shoe. SR said why are you wearing that, it's like walking round with a pebble in my shoe. Took it out immediately and he sorted my issue in one appointment. Wasted 140 quid.

I wear trainers like these. I'm no expert but I find them comfortable.

Last edited:
When you say sorted, how did he sort it? Exercises or something? @D.A
If you are doing more of the same exercise during lockdown it won’t be helping. I ended up with sore achilles, feet and ankles from running and walking and I wasn’t swimming to balance it out. It turned out that my real tightness was in my quads and I was getting referred pain.

I ended up doing loads of stretching, especially lower back, foam rolling the quads and incorporating things like yoga, which I never thought I would do. If the foam roller hits a painful spot, keep working on it. All the stretching has helped immensely. I‘m hopeful that once I can get back to a more varied routine then many of the problems will ease, we’ll see.

If you are doing more of the same exercise during lockdown it won’t be helping. I ended up with sore achilles, feet and ankles from running and walking and I wasn’t swimming to balance it out. It turned out that my real tightness was in my quads and I was getting referred pain.

I ended up doing loads of stretching, especially lower back, foam rolling the quads and incorporating things like yoga, which I never thought I would do. If the foam roller hits a painful spot, keep working on it. All the stretching has helped immensely. I‘m hopeful that once I can get back to a more varied routine then many of the problems will ease, we’ll see.
Good post mate, thanks. I’m still getting pain and tightness in my shins if I do too much, and because of that I’m hesitant to remove my orthotics completely. Have been doing more stretching but it’s really difficult to know what’s causing the pain and what can prevent it.

Back