Prolapse discs

offmenut

Striker
I'm 3 week or so out of hospital, having had c4/5 c6/7 replaced and c5/6 fused (neck)

Had a shit summer, pain in my right arm from the discs pressing against the nerves.
Been unable to do anything and been so bored I've even ended up going on the politics forum to keep repeating the same thing on numerous threads over and over again in a sanctimonious way just like nearly everybody else.

The op has been relatively successful, but still got major nerve issue on my right arm.

Just wondered if anyone else had any experience with prolapse / herniated discs in their neck?

Not in the neck, but the other end. I had a discectomy on a compressed L4/5 nearly 30 years ago. Two or three more of my lumbar discs are also compressed to some extent but not operated on. I was told at the time that I might well end up having fusion in the future but it hasn't come to that yet.

After the op I was surprised by just how immobilised I was. But I kept at the physio and slowly things improved. The nurses & physios used to tell me that I was the best patient they had had, and that most people didn't do the physio properly or diligently because it was difficult or whatever - I remember being a bit taken aback by this - I mean why wouldn't you do whatever you can to get the best outcome you can? Anyway, in my case the op removed the prolapsed/compressed debris causing pressure on the nerves etc, but the compression is still there, which maybe different to you. You say you have had a fusion and replacement (I'm intrigued by what is meant by having discs "replaced") - if this means there is no compression then maybe you can get back to being pain/symtom-free when everything settles down, although the fusion is going to mean reduced range of mobility. I would say three weeks is still early yet - I was still very limited at that point but I ended up going skiing just over 6 weeks after the op! But what do I know, I'm only an engineer.

FWIW I continue to have a "bad back". The range of motion is more limited than it was but I have learned what I can and can't do and as long as I don't do anything stupid it's OK. If I do do something stupid (and I do) like lifting loads of heavy flagstones around then I will pay for it with varying degrees of back pain for a week or two until it settles back down again. But I continued to be very active. After the op I stopped playing football or any kind of running because I couldn't tolerate the jarring. However, years later I returned to playing easy football - 5 a side kickarounds & vets football for a while and it was OK within limits, and I now run a little again. I have always cycled (like a lot) and I continued this without any real limitation. A few months after the op I went back to rock climbing, which was something I used to do a lot of and something I have recently returned to - the stiffness in my effected area can be a bit of a limitation but essentially I think climbing is one of the best forms of physio and I definitely feel better when I'm climbing regularly. After a day's hill walking my back can be stiff as fuck but it usually feels better after a couple of pints. Basically it's not perfect but I think the right approach is to be as active as you can within what feels right to you. Yoga or anything like that will help. If you do nowt and let everything stiffen up then it will become more stiff and immobile.

Keep doing what the physios tell you to do - don't cheat, do it all. Rest. Relax.

Last edited:
I'm 3 week or so out of hospital, having had c4/5 c6/7 replaced and c5/6 fused (neck)

Had a shit summer, pain in my right arm from the discs pressing against the nerves.
Been unable to do anything and been so bored I've even ended up going on the politics forum to keep repeating the same thing on numerous threads over and over again in a sanctimonious way just like nearly everybody else.

The op has been relatively successful, but still got major nerve issue on my right arm.

Just wondered if anyone else had any experience with prolapse / herniated discs in their neck?

I feel for you mate.
I resisted an Op as no guarantee that i would be cured.

Luckily had private health cover and went down the physio route.
14 months, low impact exercise etc and “back” to normal.
No twinges or pains whatsoever however I drive and sit at work with a wrapped up towel at my lower base of spine.
Plenty of walking the dog and I am always active. No longer in the gym though which I believe was the initial cause. I am fit for my age and carry little weight which certainly helps I was informed.

Best of luck to you mate as has some dark days getting through the pain and wouldn’t wish it on anyone.
By the way some advice when you can. Cycling on my mountain bike on roads with small inclines helped me no end.

Not in the neck, but the other end. I had a discectomy on a compressed L4/5 nearly 30 years ago. Two or three more of my lumbar discs are also compressed to some extent but not operated on. I was told at the time that I might well end up having fusion in the future but it hasn't come to that yet.

After the op I was surprised by just how immobilised I was. But I kept at the physio and slowly things improved. The nurses & physios used to tell me that I was the best patient they had had, and that most people didn't do the physio properly or diligently because it was difficult or whatever - I remember being a bit taken aback by this - I mean why wouldn't you do whatever you can to get the best outcome you can? Anyway, in my case the op removed the prolapsed/compressed debris causing pressure on the nerves etc, but the compression is still there, which maybe different to you. You say you have had a fusion and replacement (I'm intrigued by what is meant by having discs "replaced") - if this means there is no compression then maybe you can get back to being pain/symtom-free when everything settles down, although the fusion is going to mean reduced range of mobility. I would say three weeks is still early yet - I was still very limited at that point but I ended up going skiing just over 6 weeks after the op! But what do I know, I'm only an engineer.

FWIW I continue to have a "bad back". The range of motion is more limited than it was but I have learned what I can and can't do and as long as I don't do anything stupid it's OK. If I do do something stupid (and I do) like lifting loads of heavy flagstones around then I will pay for it with varying degrees of back pain for a week or two until it settles back down again. But I continued to be very active. After the op I stopped playing football or any kind of running because I couldn't tolerate the jarring. However, years later I returned to playing easy football - 5 a side kickarounds & vets football for a while and it was OK within limits, and I now run a little again. I have always cycled (like a lot) and I continued this without any real limitation. A few months after the op I went back to rock climbing, which was something I used to do a lot of and something I have recently returned to - the stiffness in my effected area can be a bit of a limitation but essentially I think climbing is one of the best forms of physio and I definitely feel better when I'm climbing regularly. After a day's hill walking my back can be stiff as fuck but it usually feels better after a couple of pints. Basically it's not perfect but I think the right approach is to be as active as you can within what feels right to you. Yoga or anything like that will help. If you do nowt and let everything stiffen up then it will become more stiff and immobile.

Keep doing what the physios tell you to do - don't cheat, do it all. Rest. Relax.
Cervical disc replacement on two discs, replaced with titanium discs, and the middle one, c5c6 was anterior cervical discectomy and fusion.
There levels isn't too common I think.
I'm not in any pain. As soon as I woke from the op the pain had gone (from my shoulder) as the nerves werent being squuzed anymore.
Just obviously got nerve damage and range of motion on my neck isn't great, I can't look up at all!

Cheers for the advice, I'm doing lots of physio and recuperation, hoping to get the nerves working again, though they are working far far better than before the op.
I feel for you mate.
I resisted an Op as no guarantee that i would be cured.

Luckily had private health cover and went down the physio route.
14 months, low impact exercise etc and “back” to normal.
No twinges or pains whatsoever however I drive and sit at work with a wrapped up towel at my lower base of spine.
Plenty of walking the dog and I am always active. No longer in the gym though which I believe was the initial cause. I am fit for my age and carry little weight which certainly helps I was informed.

Best of luck to you mate as has some dark days getting through the pain and wouldn’t wish it on anyone.
By the way some advice when you can. Cycling on my mountain bike on roads with small inclines helped me no end.
Aye, had some very dark days
Had 3 month or so where I was in constant pain, couldn't feel my right hand (it's still fairly numb from the foreram down mind, but at least now I have a bit of strength and dexterity - couldn't pick up a cup before!).

I just was hoping the recovery would be quick, but I'm starting to realise its going to be a long process to get back to where I was, if I ever get back

BTW, not sure if you know, but now it's all anterior (from the front).
Think it's been this way for about 3 yrs or so.
So your lumber, they'd cut through your stomach. They went through my neck, still struggle swallowing a bit but getting better.
Not sure if it's less painful, infact I think the recovery is worse, it's just that there is loads less risk of nerve damage.

Last edited:
Cervical disc replacement on two discs, replaced with titanium discs, and the middle one, c5c6 was anterior cervical discectomy and fusion.
I'm not in any pain. As soon as I woke from the op the pain had gone (from my shoulder) as the nerves werent being squuzed anymore.
Just obviously got nerve damage and range of motion on my neck isn't great, I can't look up at all!

Cheers for the advice, I'm doing lots of physio and recuperation, hoping to get the nerves working again, though they are working far far better than before the op.

I had heard a bit about disc replacement but didn't realise it was a standard procedure yet - things have obviously moved on since I last investigated. About 10 years ago I came to have some x-rays for a completely different issue but they showed the state of my lumbar vertibrae and I was a bit shocked to see how compressed three of my discs were. So I went to see a consultant to ask if given how technology moves on, whether disc replacement might be what I needed now. He was really dismissive about it - said it was pretty much still an experimental technique and that it would only be used where things were really bad as they still didn't have any real long-term outcome data.

Out of interest, why did they fuse one and replace the others? Why not replace all three? Do they maybe not replace discs on adjacent vertibrae?

By my understanding the recovery period for a fusion is going to be longer than for the non-fusion procedures anyway because you are essentially waiting for bone to repair/re-grow which is going to take at least a couple of months before it can have proper load put on it. Just keep doing the exercises and it should get a little bit better every day.

I had heard a bit about disc replacement but didn't realise it was a standard procedure yet - things have obviously moved on since I last investigated. About 10 years ago I came to have some x-rays for a completely different issue but they showed the state of my lumbar vertibrae and I was a bit shocked to see how compressed three of my discs were. So I went to see a consultant to ask if given how technology moves on, whether disc replacement might be what I needed now. He was really dismissive about it - said it was pretty much still an experimental technique and that it would only be used where things were really bad as they still didn't have any real long-term outcome data.

Out of interest, why did they fuse one and replace the others? Why not replace all three? Do they maybe not replace discs on adjacent vertibrae?

By my understanding the recovery period for a fusion is going to be longer than for the non-fusion procedures anyway because you are essentially waiting for bone to repair/re-grow which is going to take at least a couple of months before it can have proper load put on it. Just keep doing the exercises and it should get a little bit better every day.
He did tell me, but I can't remember exactly! I'm due to see him again October 8th to get xrays to make sure it's all OK and I'll try to remember to ask again!
Im with bupa and I remember him saying that bupa wouldn't cover the 3 disc replacement, but don't know why?
But I know that 3 level is quite a big deal and hardly ever done. I think it hadn't been done before 2017 (or just a few cases worldwide)

Last edited:

Aye, had some very dark days
Had 3 month or so where I was in constant pain, couldn't feel my right hand (it's still fairly numb from the foreram down mind, but at least now I have a bit of strength and dexterity - couldn't pick up a cup before!).

I just was hoping the recovery would be quick, but I'm starting to realise its going to be a long process to get back to where I was, if I ever get back

BTW, not sure if you know, but now it's all anterior (from the front).
Think it's been this way for about 3 yrs or so.
So your lumber, they'd cut through your stomach. They went through my neck, still struggle swallowing a bit but getting better.
Not sure if it's less painful, infact I think the recovery is worse, it's just that there is loads less risk of nerve damage.

They reckon also that small exercise is better than none at all.
It’s a slow process and the measure is all about the leg raise % whilst laying on your back.
I started at 10% thus to give you some comfort.
The lady (no) physio was excellent and had some stand up rows with her on my slow healing. She was fantastic and grateful to her.

Not in the neck but lower back, fortunately I managed to dodge an op but still have numb toes in my right foot 6 years later.

At the time the physio at work said I may always have it, seems she was right.

Not in the neck but lower back, fortunately I managed to dodge an op but still have numb toes in my right foot 6 years later.

At the time the physio at work said I may always have it, seems she was right.
Aye.
I have sciatica too, and did physio, but you get talking to spinal surgeons and they say really the only way to stop it is for an op.
The discs are pressing on the nerve and probably always will to some degree without an op.

I've got a disk issue myself. Cant remember which one in L and S terms but it's the last one before your spine bends around at the bottom.

It's an inconvenience more as its stopped me doing any real exercise since it was diagnosed 10 years ago. Before then I played football 3 or 4 times a week. I've prevented it getting worse by effectively doing nothing strenuous and protecting it but my overall health has suffered for that.

Do get sciatica but not permanently.

Certain things set it off but a couple of days of ibroprofin and it settles down again. Did have the steroid injections once and it worked a bit but probably not enough to have to go through it all again (I recognize its nowt compared to what some are describing on this thread)

Aye.
I have sciatica too, and did physio, but you get talking to spinal surgeons and they say really the only way to stop it is for an op.
The discs are pressing on the nerve and probably always will to some degree without an op.

Luckily fingers crossed I’ve been able to sort the back pain but the numbness is off the initial damage and not an ongoing thing.

I have had some treatment, not conventional that seems to have put a stop to the pain I was having.

Any little niggles I just do a few squats and stretches.

I had x4 cervical discs replaced coming up to a year in November. Apart from the 6 weeks with the brace on 24/7 it's been successful ish ( need another X2 replacing and X3 replacing at the bottom of my spine. My scar on my neck is still very very lumpy and I have numbness around the scar but I'm happy not having the pains in my arms anymore. Balla done my operation at the royal!

I had x4 cervical discs replaced coming up to a year in November. Apart from the 6 weeks with the brace on 24/7 it's been successful ish ( need another X2 replacing and X3 replacing at the bottom of my spine. My scar on my neck is still very very lumpy and I have numbness around the scar but I'm happy not having the pains in my arms anymore. Balla done my operation at the royal!
Wow
I was told x3 was a major and rare thing, let alone 4 replaced.
How did that happen if you don't mind me asking?
I need to find out why they fused my middle and didnt replace all 3, especially seeing as you got all 4 replaced!

I'm not arsed about my neck scar, it's my arm numbness. I don't have pain anymore, but still have numbness, nerve damage and massive weakness.
I used to lift quire heavy, 50kg dumbells 5x5. I've been to the gym a lot this week and can only lift 16kg!
I've had obvious muscle depletion in my right arm, shoulder and back, and wondered how long before any signs of strength recovery?

It's mostly work related mate and they didn't want to do the operation and had to be discussed in the spinal meeting or something like that. I've got arthritis also of the spine and my first disc has fused itself over time ( I blame heavy lifting for 39 years on all the problems) I still have nerve pain in my left hand/arm but not as bad as it was and I'm now not taking x1200mg of gabapentin 3 times a day anymore! I do still take morphine tho for the pain from the arthritis tho. The bottom of my spine is going the same way with the discs popping out and hitting my spinal cord that causes pain in my legs! Hopefully the next surgery will help with that but they want to cage that not replace ( rcdl) I think it is

Saw the surgeon today for 6 week post op review.
He said that BUPA wouldn't cover 3 disc replacement as it's not really necessary.

By having prolapse discs and deteriorated discs, the discs next to them become effected, so you just need to replace the outside ones and you can fuse the inside one.

Saw the surgeon today for 6 week post op review.
He said that BUPA wouldn't cover 3 disc replacement as it's not really necessary.

By having prolapse discs and deteriorated discs, the discs next to them become effected, so you just need to replace the outside ones and you can fuse the inside one.
Thanks for the update. From an engineering point of view that makes sense. My back is definitely getting worse, so who knows what’s in the future. How is the recovery going?

Last edited:

Back