Probably A Stupid Question - Download vs. Physical Disc

Temp0101

Winger
Not much of a gamer at all, but decided to treat myself to a PS5 a few months back. Is there a benefit of downloading a game vs. having the disc other than the convenience. Reason I ask is, once you've completed a game you can then get at least a bit of cash back by trading it in or selling the game, but presumably you can't do this with a download and it just sits in your library? Or can you 'share' it with others? From the little I know seems that buying the disc, then flogging it when you're done, is a no-brainer vs downloading for the same price and never playing it again.

As you’ve said I guess the only benefits are it’s convenient because you don’t have to leave the house to go and buy the game and also you don’t have to find space in your house to store the case.

I have a mix. Sometimes I’ll download straight from the store but if I’m out and about doing some shopping or if I know I can get a good deal on a physical copy then I’ll buy that instead.

Nah you can't share downloaded versions of the game you buy

If the physical copy of the game is circa the same price as digital I'll always get the disc. I have a 2 yearly music magpie clearout and get a couple hundred quid for the stuff I no longer want/use

The only real difference (apart from the sell- on value), is games downloaded will not suffer from any loading times (even if they are miniscule these days)

I much prefer downloaded games. Always thought I'd stick to discs, but somehow they've managed to make getting up and swapping a disc feel like a real chore! I'd rather have a system that gives me the option of a disc, but the main benefit just seems to be that you can trade it in when you're finished with it. Trouble is, unless you buy it when it's first released at a high price and finish with it quickly, you seem to get offered next to nowt, to the point where you think fuck it, might as well just keep the disc in case i ever want to play it again

Back