Private Numberplates

The reg on my dad's car in the early 70s was JBR 1, which was long before private registrations were thought of.

I've often wondered how much that registration would be worth today.

By the way, has anyone else seen the car being driven in the Sunderland area with the registration BBC1? That plate must be worth a fortune.
Used to be on a roller driven by that lad who had the luxury car garage at testo's

lad knocks about Washington obviously called Simon with ng51 mon.
must be worth a few quid too.

That one would probably cost about £500
I can get a similar style with my name, & looked at just out of curiosity, and was only a few hundred quid
The bloke who owned corner shop on my street when I was a kid has private reg MH26 must be worth a bit?

I remember seeing one down roker something similar (2 letters, 2 numbers) but it was only on something like Renault clio. The plate will be worth more than the car.

Last edited:
I’ve had T3 FTM for years and years. I used to worry it might get damaged outside my sister’s house if I visited (High Heston) but then I remembered that the section of mag support who might want to do that probably can’t read.
Beat you, I've got T2 FTM. I got it when I bought a new bike in 1999. It's on retention now since I changed my van and I really need to transfer it back onto one of my bikes or van. The little banner under the number read F*CK THE MAGS just to leave no one in doubt what it meant.
I copper once asked me, "did you know that could be insulting to some people" I replied "Yes". :lol:
I would have
UPU 2
FU 2
Or this one
Logon or register to see this image
Linda Lovelace or Fiona Fullerton used to own FU 2.

Last edited:
ABR 1 - Ted Evans, SAFC director in the 60-s and 70s, had on his Jag then Jensen

SYD 1 - Syd Collings had on his Merc
In the 70's a Jenson that used to turn up at Roker Park had DEC 25.

A hearse in Sunderland used to have OGR 1, then it appeared again in the area on a Rolls Royce. Probably doesn't mean a lot that number unless you're a biker.

In the 70's a Jenson that used to turn up at Roker Park had DEC 25.

A hearse in Sunderland used to have OGR 1, then it appeared again in the area on a Rolls Royce. Probably doesn't mean a lot that number unless you're a biker.

OGR 1 was on the Mayor of Sunderland car wasn’t it ?

Many, many years ago, my former partner decided to buy me a personalised number for a birthday present. She was told by my brother that I didn't like them, but went ahead anyway.

I tried to be gracious about it and accepted the gift. It really rankled when a friend commented that the number plates with my initials were tacky because that was how I felt already.

There was a twist to this because, after I split up with the former partner who bought them, I married someone called Nichola Janene. My first names are Nigel John so my wife and I now share the same three initials. It is ironic that my wife now drives a car with her own personalised plates paid for by my ex.

It's tantamount to having an Audi badge in the minds of other drivers. Also makes you a lot more traceable if you piss someone off, give them the bird etc.

Back