Private Healthcare vs The NHS

Has its place for simpler elective procedures. Anything goes wrong and it's the NHS who will save your bacon. If something goes seriously amiss you're in the back of an ambulance to the nearest A&E and that journey may cost you your life. It doesn't happen often but it does happen. When I worked in critical care we would very occasionally see cases transferred where we had to pick up the pieces. I have always said I wouldn't go private for reasons of safety (which is easy to say when it's hypothetical). If I was in chronic pain and facing a long wait for an NHS procedure that might change my mind. Sweet spot is a private wing in an NHS hospital.

The gaffer needed her gall bladder removing a few years back. Told he, at QE, to take painkillers and the op would be “within the next 6 months. Went private. Op done next day in Darlington. Day after she was home. I think it was about 5k but money well spent to ease her pain.

Brilliant for muscle injuries and injured limbs, an area that the NHS is woeful on in terms of diagnosis and speed of treatment. I don’t like the way the whole system is set up though, it’s unfair and the NHS seems to get rinsed in terms of resource and costs with crossovers. I also agree with others that private seem eager to do surgery when perhaps it’s not needed. All about the £

Back