Primary school sats

The pressure is on schools to show good results for league tables, so the pressure from governors is passed to the head, who passes it on to Y6 teachers and ultimately onto the children.

I work on a project that deals with Primary to Secondary transition so see the strain kids are put under with SATs on a yearly basis. Every year the Secondary school hardly takes the results at face value as they know some kids have had extra support and been spoonfed the information and do their own monitoring tests to set the kids anyway.
Yeah more gaming. I know teachers who are under massive pressure to get better results with older kids. If they don't they could lose their jobs. So they do whatever they can to improve the results even it has zero benefit for the kids themselves. Things I'd class as cheating. All cos of league tables etc. Education shouldn't be like that.

Yeah more gaming. I know teachers who are under massive pressure to get better results with older kids. If they don't they could lose their jobs. So they do whatever they can to improve the results even it has zero benefit for the kids themselves. Things I'd class as cheating. All cos of league tables etc. Education shouldn't be like that.

Yeah its unecessary pressure on teachers and 'pushing' progression on children that probably aren't capable of achieving it. A lot of secondaries are fully aware what goes on, hence why they do their own monitoring tests at the beginning of Y7.

Yeah its unecessary pressure on teachers and 'pushing' progression on children that probably aren't capable of achieving it. A lot of secondaries are fully aware what goes on, hence why they do their own monitoring tests at the beginning of Y7.
It happens in all age groups. Kids end up leaving school who aren't really that skilled but are pushed onto dumbed down fe courses which teach them nothing. All so results look better and more people stay in education. The whole get as many people to uni as possible is bollocks. It's just created pointless courses

The pressure is on schools to show good results for league tables, so the pressure from governors is passed to the head, who passes it on to Y6 teachers and ultimately onto the children.

I work on a project that deals with Primary to Secondary transition so see the strain kids are put under with SATs on a yearly basis. Every year the Secondary school hardly takes the results at face value as they know some kids have had extra support and been spoonfed the information and do their own monitoring tests to set the kids anyway.
Certainly fits with my experience of how secondary schools view them. Given they take children in from several (sometimes dozens of) primary schools, the only sensible approach is to largely ignore them.

Last edited:
My lad is quite bright and expected to do well in his SATS but he's definitely a bit worried about them. I've basically said try your best but they're all but irrelevant so don't worry about them. Secondary schools will take little notice. They're much more important for the school than the pupils.

Last edited:

Back