Premium Bonds

These accounts are really clever marketing as you only get 5% on the initial payment and the AER tapers every month over the course of the year, for example, a payment after six months would receive 2.5% and the last month bugger all.

I thought it was 5% for the year. I have a monthly standing order going into it. I know it changes into the crappy rate instant access account after a year, so I'll move it to their latest offering when it expires (as I did last time, and the time before....!)

You get 5% on the money thats actually in the account.
That bit is accurate.

I thought it was 5% for the year. I have a monthly standing order going into it. I know it changes into the crappy rate instant access account after a year, so I'll move it to their latest offering when it expires (as I did last time, and the time before....!)
It is but only on the money that is actually in the account. The last payment (assuming each monthly payment is made) only receives 1/12th of 5% thus the average rate is 2.5%. You are using the accounts as they should be but most of the public are blissfully hoodwinked by the marketing.

Last edited:
That bit is accurate.

It is but only on the money that is actually in the account. The last payment (assuming each monthly payment is made) only receives 1/12th of 5% thus the average rate is 2.5%. You are using the accounts as they should be but most of the public are blissfully hoodwinked by the marketing.

The average rate isnt 2.5%. Its 5%
The interest is 2.5% of the end balance and this confuses thick people who think they earn money they havent yet deposited

just read an article about premium bonds and that they are reducing how much you need to pay.
I need to start saving properly in the new year, what are people’s thoughts on these? With the interest rates so low I’m unsure what to do with some coin.
Don't take my word for it, read this - they're pretty crap

Premium Bonds

I'm no expert, but look into index linked funds or something similar, wrapped in an ISA - if you want long term growth.

I have the maximum for all four in the family and usually get about £200 a month .
Not great about 1% interest.
Better out there

The nationwide 5% deal is a good one, but you need to switch it every year as the offer expires. And they’ve cut the maximum save per month from £500 to £250 so the most you can ferret away is £3000 a year.

Not that I have any money to be saving right now; if I came into some money I’d pay off some debt. I learned a while ago that there’s no point having a rainy day fund if you aren’t already in the black.

just read an article about premium bonds and that they are reducing how much you need to pay.
I need to start saving properly in the new year, what are people’s thoughts on these? With the interest rates so low I’m unsure what to do with some coin.

Good investment, don't lose anything to be fair and I tend to win more on those than I earn in interest in similar amounts invested elsewhere. Plus winnings are tax free, best off if can afford it put in a lump sum, then buy bonds each month. Did that the majority of my working life, just another savings account to be honest.

I'm tempted to cash them in and go wild like :lol:

Wahoo! might even buy you two pints like!

Last edited:
Good investment, don't lose anything to be fair and I tend to win more on those than I earn in interest in similar amounts invested elsewhere. Plus winnings are tax free, best off if can afford it put in a lump sum, then buy bonds each month. Did that the majority of my working life, just another savings account to be honest.
Nearly all savings are tax free now, unless you’ve got thousands and thousands of pounds’ worth of interest, IIRC.

I am sonjinking about is just a nuisance and confuses the tax man so isn't worth it. Hence premium bonds being OK for me.

I know that you were a higher rate payer which is why i mentioned it.
The chances are when someone one here is after savings advice they are a basic rate payer, dont have that much in savings &/or only want to save a few hundred a month. This being the case premium bonds & ISA's are just pointless & that regular savers & playing banks is the better option.

I still have a few thousand ‘residual’ after using them as a holding my pen for my house deposit. The thinking being it’s not going to make much anywhere at any time really but I might win big in those few months.

Probably wouldn’t go for them again tbh, they’re not a brilliant investment.

Back