Premium Bondd

They are a solid investment. I've had them for years and I've always met or beat what I would've got in a savings account. Best savings account now is what 2% so it's worth the gamble.

Nothing better than waking up on draw day with that feeling that this is your month only to check the app and find out you've won fuck all again

They are a poor investment in reality , you’ll get better returns investing in funds wrapped inside an isa.

Admittedly they are safe being backed by the government, and there is the fun element of owning product that might win a large cash prize.

For the record I’ve got some and I’m quite happy accepting the lack of investment income in the hope of winning a few bob.

I am using them as somewhere ‘safe’ to park some cash.

I didn’t win anything for about 2 years then won £25 in consecutive months, I am sure that it’s fixed.
That’s exactly what I’m using them for. I take an amount from my company. Some of it is tax, some is mine to pay the bills. The amount for tax then sits in Premium Bonds until the tax is due. Yes it would earn more in other investments but with interest rates so low it would need to be locked in for a year or two to get any real return and I canMy do that. I liked the feeling of getting the odd small cheque through the letterbox (or any post really!) so Premoum Bonds seemed the perfect choice.

Anything other than the max in and you will be open to chance.
I’ve loaded the max for kids and us and without fail win around £300 to £400 a month.
About 2% tax free

£30k was the maximum holding until 2014, still averaged out about the same as having it in a bank up until that point. Certainly never made anything like £300-400 a month.

Admittedly you can't win £1m by having the cash in the bank, but they went to shit when Brown cut the prizes.

£30k was the maximum holding until 2014, still averaged out about the same as having it in a bank up until that point. Certainly never made anything like £300-400 a month.

Admittedly you can't win £1m by having the cash in the bank, but they went to shit when Brown cut the prizes.

Sounds like he's got the max deposited for him his partner and his children though which would be what 200k and it's returning 300 to 400 a month

I have £50k invested - but only because it is a tax free saving like ISA's and keeps it out of view..... probably get about £5-600 a year. although did have a bumper year a few years ago back when I won £750 - with one £500 win.

Last edited:
Gutted! Just got an email from NS&I to tell me they’re phasing our sending cheques through the post.

I don’t have much in there so I don’t receive many but every so often it’s nice to get a cheque for 25 notes. I put the money I need to pay in income tax in there until the tax is due to be paid.

With everything else like water and electricity now being online, that odd cheque was about the only thing that ever came through my letterbox as post. Proper Billy No Mates 😕
I’ve just bought my first premium bonds. I had the idea of hoying the Christmas savings in them but our lass will be spending that by our first eligible draw so I’ll not bother this year. I’m going to hoy both Xmas and holiday savings in them from now on to add a bit of excitement to not really making any money off cash in the bank :lol:

My mate stuck his deposit money in there whilst he found a new house to buy. Won £100k.
That’s brilliant. Love stories like that. Hope he spent in on hookers and blow? (And paid a chunk off his mortgage too of course!)

I’ve never been as lucky, kind I’ve never had that much in there. 25 notes is the most I have won.

Someone bought me some Premium bonds years ago. No idea what I did with the paperwork. Could be winning thousands every week I don't know about it.
My mother gave me some bonds her uncle had given her bloody ages ago, i think there was a few hundred quids' worth. However they were valueless without some validating paperwork or numbers or something that had been mislaid. I could do nothing but throw them out. Agony!!!

My mother gave me some bonds her uncle had given her bloody ages ago, i think there was a few hundred quids' worth. However they were valueless without some validating paperwork or numbers or something that had been mislaid. I could do nothing but throw them out. Agony!!!

PB’s are not transferable .

Back