Premier League: Susanna Dinnage named new chief executive

I’d like to see her try and somehow level the playing field but I suspect she will continue to suck up to the so called “big six” and allow the gap to get wider.

How do you think she got the job mate

Susanna Dinnage has been named as the new chief executive of the Premier League, replacing Richard Scudamore.

Dinnage joins from media organisation Discovery, where she was the global president of the Animal Planet channel

OR

We needed a lass with no relevant qualifications, she'll do! Known onon t football circuit as the "Short Method"

Eh?

Premier League: Susanna Dinnage named new chief executive
What was Scudamore's background?

I said this 2 months ago when I saw a woman bus driver. It's all down hill now. They be in pubs drinking pints next.

Not necessarily football.

I don’t know how relevant commissioning Buffalo mating documentaries will be to managing a football league.
And what good would a football person be when it comes to negotiating TV deals and revenues from advertising and growing a brand?

Last edited:
Were there 3 other guys? Or was she just the best candidate?

I'm still mystified by what the supposed positives and benefits are of having specifically appointed a woman instead of someone who is better. It doesn't make broadcasters pay more money for the TV rights so what exactly does a club get from the fact that the Premier League CEO is a woman? How are Huddersfield Town for example going to benefit from this mystical "good PR" that allegedly comes with the appointment? Why would they risk revenues for the sake of a day's worth of positive newspaper articles which are in any case written about the Premier League rather than Huddersfield Town?

There's no tangible benefit whatsoever, and there isn't even any obvious intangible benefit. Everyone complains that the PL and the clubs are motivated only by money and greed, but when something like this happens, suddenly the clubs have all unanimously decided to throw that out of the window in favour of pandering to "equal opportunities" or political correctness.

The new person has a hell of a job on their hands as well. The most recent TV deal for the upcoming cycle was actually less than the previous one. For the first time ever the revenues from rights have gone down, while club spending continues to increase. Meanwhile the whole rights landscape is changing, so overall it's not really the time to be picking a CEO who you don't think is the best candidate. I'm tempted to think Scudamore is getting out now for a reason.

I'm still mystified by what the supposed positives and benefits are of having specifically appointed a woman instead of someone who is better. It doesn't make broadcasters pay more money for the TV rights so what exactly does a club get from the fact that the Premier League CEO is a woman? How are Huddersfield Town for example going to benefit from this mystical "good PR" that allegedly comes with the appointment? Why would they risk revenues for the sake of a day's worth of positive newspaper articles which are in any case written about the Premier League rather than Huddersfield Town?

There's no tangible benefit whatsoever, and there isn't even any obvious intangible benefit. Everyone complains that the PL and the clubs are motivated only by money and greed, but when something like this happens, suddenly the clubs have all unanimously decided to throw that out of the window in favour of pandering to "equal opportunities" or political correctness.

The new person has a hell of a job on their hands as well. The most recent TV deal for the upcoming cycle was actually less than the previous one. For the first time ever the revenues from rights have gone down, while club spending continues to increase. Meanwhile the whole rights landscape is changing, so overall it's not really the time to be picking a CEO who you don't think is the best candidate. I'm tempted to think Scudamore is getting out now for a reason.
Maybe the talk of the top 4 or 5 clubs departing to a super league might have hurried his retirement up...

Hopefully the bubble has started to burst, I can’t imagine it helps viewing figures when you have Manchester City miles ahead of everyone else like last season.

Great comment. You've articulated my thoughts much better than I ever could. It saddens me that the "reward" for the success and happiness in getting from this season means heading back towards the Premier league. Its shit I'd prefer to stay here in league 1.. It's much more real and like the football I grew up watching.
Thanks marra, much appreciated.
And I agree with you. What a mess we've made of this wonderful sport of ours. The only hope I can foresee is when the financial football bubble bursts. It will happen - it always does in any market - but possibly not in my lifetime.

Anyone who thinks that symbolism has no role in the appointment is naive. Of course if she does a good job it will be a moot point. On the other hand, it seems very unlikely that she has a deep love of the game. Given what the PL has evolved into that probably doesn’t matter very much....
Fulham season ticket holder

There's a lot of parallels running Animal Planet and the PL obviously.

Are you? Given you said it was “ridiculous”, I’m sure you must be...

I've not said that she's not capable of the job, but I'm saying that if there was an equally capable male candidate he stood no chance. It's called the Colleen Rooney rule.

It keeps me amused. And that’s all I care about

And unfortunately you're not kidding. That mustn't sit well with your liberal views.

You said it was ridiculous. Therefore you’re saying she shouldn’t have got it

I'm not - you're making a bit of a jump there. I just hate the smug bastards that do things like this.

I'm going to be really controversial here so hold on to your hat - you know when the BBC announce that a woman footballer has moved from Bolton to Crewe Alexandria? I reckon that only her mam and dad and maybe her 2 closest friends are interested.

Back