Pre-diabetes

Darlo1973

Striker
Recently had some blood tests and my GP has told me that my glucose levels put me in the pre-diabetes range. Not really a surprise - my age, lifestyle and family history are all very high risk for diabetes so it was going to happen sooner or later.

She has referred me to a NHS "Preventing Diabetes" programme

Has anyone on here done it and was it worthwhile?

Absolutely no need to cut out carbohydrates to that extreme at all.

Just reduce your calories until you’re in a deficit. Use a calculator like the James Smith app, then follow it from there.

The idea that carbs are somehow “bad” is incredibly dangerous. They’re not. You need them to survive.

Having lost 8 stone and reversed my diabetes while still eating takeaways, cakes and chocolate I think I know what I’m on about.

Absolutely no need to cut out carbohydrates to that extreme at all.

Just reduce your calories until you’re in a deficit. Use a calculator like the James Smith app, then follow it from there.

The idea that carbs are somehow “bad” is incredibly dangerous. They’re not. You need them to survive.

Having lost 8 stone and reversed my diabetes while still eating takeaways, cakes and chocolate I think I know what I’m on about.
You can survive every day the big man has gave you without carbs. You can't survive without protein or fat. Human evolution happened quite successfully without carbs.

You’re going to hear a million different ways about the right approach. Main thing is finding the right approach for you, in order to reach a calorie deficit without feeling too shit.

What’s your height, weight and activity level atm?

A combination of resistance and lower intensity endurance exercise will have great effects. Have a browse on the effects of resistance training on insulin sensitivity - I've banged on about if for years on here, but worth mentioning again I think. A lot of the amazing health benefits of resistance training are often overlooked, with it being seen as more of a strength/aesthetic thing.

Back