PowerPoint

I have to make a powerpoint for part of my current uni assignment, this will accompany a 1200 word assignment which I have already completed.

Basically the powerpoint is to summarise the key points of the 1200 word assignment, and will be presented to a group of level 1 Open University students.

I can honestly say I have never even used powerpoint in around 10 years. I know the information what I will be putting in it, I just need advice on the layout & font etc. I have been advised just to use a white background and plain black lettering, no fancy gimmicks etc.

I am tempted to just go for it but thought I would consult the SMB first for any advice on how to display the pages etc. I am limited to 5 slides, one of which will be a title page.

I have to make a powerpoint for part of my current uni assignment, this will accompany a 1200 word assignment which I have already completed.

Basically the powerpoint is to summarise the key points of the 1200 word assignment, and will be presented to a group of level 1 Open University students.

I can honestly say I have never even used powerpoint in around 10 years. I know the information what I will be putting in it, I just need advice on the layout & font etc. I have been advised just to use a white background and plain black lettering, no fancy gimmicks etc.

I am tempted to just go for it but thought I would consult the SMB first for any advice on how to display the pages etc. I am limited to 5 slides, one of which will be a title page.

Less. Is. More.

Keep it simple, not loads of text, key points only then talk around them.

He's stitching you up here.

You need:

Word Art
Transitions
Animations

You can NEVER have too many. NEVER.

just read that it is for wacky students so fire away with all that.. slide in left.. glitter... the works

I always go the other way with power point, I.e. dark background with light coloured lettering.

4/5 point on each slide.

Oh, and happy hardcore for the musical score.

you are the type of chunt that uses all my printer ink

As someone who once attended an interview and did a Powerpoint presentation with sliding graphics, I would strongly advise testing it with the volume turned up.
I created my slides on my work PC where the volume was muted and the presentation was on a laptop with the volume turned up full whack. Each sliding bullet point came with a car crash sound effect.:oops:

Keep it very simple. The bullet points should give a very high level overview and you can talk in detail.
Print off copies in case technology lets you down.
Print off a copy in notes view for yourself with more detail of what you're talking about.

Im still using powerpoint 2007, so its no different ha!

i always use Arial font. do not use comic sans or times new roman. less is more. the way i see it, the PP slide is like a trailer to what you're gonna say. they look at the board and see enough that they need/want you to tell them the rest of the info in detail, but not too much that they don't need you to explain. good luck

Just as they say. Plain background and black text.

Bullet point the text and write punchy statements rather than full sentences to highlight the point you are making.

Check if the title can also be the introduction as that gives you an extra slide to play with.

I was allowed to do something like:

"The SMB

A study into the lives of fuckwits on the internet"

to save doing a slide for the intro.

Thanks folks that will do. Gonna keep it nice and simple, black font at a decent size (so it can be seen from upwards of 10 metres away), 4-5 points on each slide.

dont put too much content on each slide.

bullet points only .. no fancy transitions. only pictures or graphics if relevant
This.

No more than 3 bullets per slide if you can. You could have each point fade in as you talk through it if you want, not important unless you need a reveal.

Write the presentation the way you'd write cue cards.

I use power point to present all the time, as a rule of thumb I'd use 1 slide for every 60-90 seconds. I generally have a heading with either 2-3 bullets or 1 image/graph.

I've also had presentations with 2 slides last 20 minutes and ones with 20 slides last two. :lol:

I always go the other way with power point, I.e. dark background with light coloured lettering.

4/5 points on each slide.

Oh, and happy hardcore for the musical score.
We've always been told to use a yellow font on a dark blue background as it's the easiest to read for the vast majority of people and is supposed to help dyslexics iirc.

Back