Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
Up to 87.5kg for my speed work out flat bench 16x3 this week not looking forward to it at all hitting around 7 mins 45 mark, mixed my bench training up for weeks with various presses going to text my one rep max before Xmas canny nervous about it :lol: put some serious graft in last six weeks dumbells are flying up, pinned pressing has made some difference

Up to 87.5kg for my speed work out flat bench 16x3 this week not looking forward to it at all hitting around 7 mins 45 mark, mixed my bench training up for weeks with various presses going to text my one rep max before Xmas canny nervous about it :lol: put some serious graft in last six weeks dumbells are flying up, pinned pressing has made some difference
I have been doing a mix of bench pressing too. The most difficult for me is 4x8 with about 75% 1RM.

I’ve found that lighter weight/more reps will allow more ‘inward squeeze’ on the pecs.

Paused 3x10 with 50-60% 1RM is good too. Incline sits my shoulders in a difference position and it’s hard work.

On a Sunday I will do 5x5 and grunt out a couple of extra reps on the 5th set.

I am so glad that I don’t drop weights or use ponsey machines ;)

I have been doing a mix of bench pressing too. The most difficult for me is 4x8 with about 75% 1RM.

I’ve found that lighter weight/more reps will allow more ‘inward squeeze’ on the pecs.

Paused 3x10 with 50-60% 1RM is good too. Incline sits my shoulders in a difference position and it’s hard work.

On a Sunday I will do 5x5 and grunt out a couple of extra reps on the 5th set.

I am so glad that I don’t drop weights or use ponsey machines ;)
Done 6 X 6 110kg last week as I was bored even with all the extra stuff I've hoyed on I've missed not training heavy once a week is that normal? Never really tried out like this before just treating two weeks time as sort of a meet and see what I can bench

Done 6 X 6 110kg last week as I was bored even with all the extra stuff I've hoyed on I've missed not training heavy once a week is that normal? Never really tried out like this before just treating two weeks time as sort of a meet and see what I can bench
A while ago I posted a link to a 6 week bench press programme that might be useful.

I’ll have a search for it.

A while ago I posted a link to a 6 week bench press programme that might be useful.

I’ll have a search for it.
I've sort of adapted west side barbells into a six week thing focusing on four lifts a week various loads and presses loving it tbf 6x6 flat bench, pinned pressing 5*5 till failure, FB plus chains and speed work out mentioned various dumbells aswell and a bit shaping hoyed in loving it

I've sort of adapted west side barbells into a six week thing focusing on four lifts a week various loads and presses loving it tbf 6x6 flat bench, pinned pressing 5*5 till failure, FB plus chains and speed work out mentioned various dumbells aswell and a bit shaping hoyed in loving it
I am watching a video by John meadows re: pin press. It improves triceps?

First session using a hoist chest press instead of benching, think it’s the way to go until I can get my shoulder sorted.

might start a split after my holiday next week. Never done a split before so all thoughts and ideas welcome about how to structure it

Been investing heavily in maintenance stuff recently. Always like to get semi regular treatment, however since the last lockdown lifted I haven't managed to get my usual Osteo. Started seeing a fella who works with a few Bellator and pro boxers, along with cryotherapy (mostly as the cryo gives an incredible night sleep) several times a week. Moving great at the moment *Touch Wood*

How much impact does work have an everyone's Training? I have a very physical job want to squat today and was miles of depth not beating myself up about it. Tight hips off digging out all night in sawmills. I think Ronnie Coleman would lap me around a track today!

How much impact does work have an everyone's Training? I have a very physical job want to squat today and was miles of depth not beating myself up about it. Tight hips off digging out all night in sawmills. I think Ronnie Coleman would lap me around a track today!
I’m very lucky that it has absolute zero. Can manage to nip to the gym during the day while it’s quiet, desk job when I am working.

Desk based so not at all really.

Start of the pandemic I wasn’t set up at all for home working and have myself a back/shoulder problem through working at the dining table.

Also, got the home set up all up. Love it. Trained every day since I got it. No real programme other than building some capacity and retraining the movements in the main lifts. Back into generalised intermediate type work today.

Currently sat on the bench in peace just working through my back off sets.

After a few weeks building up 6X6 with chains I finally hit 100kg plus chains this week done a few singles to Finnish off worked up to 120kg plus chains (30kg ish) over the moon had more in the tank but a bit wary with no spotter as you bottom out rather quickly with chains! Loving my training at the minute

Holiday done and dusted, put on less than half a stone, ten days all inclusive, I’m happy with that, will be mainly water too. Now having to self isolate until we get our pcrs back. Can’t wait to get back to the gym.

Fancy really nailing down my nutrition and training in the new year and giving it 100% for a few months, no booze etc.

I’ve always done full bodies but fancy trying a split. Anyone help me out with a routine?

Been reading about pre-exhaustion exercises too, anyone got experience with these?

Last edited:
I think I may be dealing with some trauma to the fibula. I went for treatment and have been unable to reach below my knees if I go in to hip extension with zero anterior tibial displacement for almost two weeks since. If I let the knee come forward and squat down, it's fine. A weird type of pain. Feels deeper and duller than any soft tissue injury I've ever picked up. Going to give it a few more days and go for an X-Ray.

Even if it's not bone, I've now had to miss or massively adjust three lower body sessions (that's without going in to the faff it's causing me at work). Pissed right off. The previous two people I've had for regular treatment have eventually been offered work abroad or elsewhere - finding new competent treatment is proving f***ing infuriating.

I think I may be dealing with some trauma to the fibula. I went for treatment and have been unable to reach below my knees if I go in to hip extension with zero anterior tibial displacement for almost two weeks since. If I let the knee come forward and squat down, it's fine. A weird type of pain. Feels deeper and duller than any soft tissue injury I've ever picked up. Going to give it a few more days and go for an X-Ray.

Even if it's not bone, I've now had to miss or massively adjust three lower body sessions (that's without going in to the faff it's causing me at work). Pissed right off. The previous two people I've had for regular treatment have eventually been offered work abroad or elsewhere - finding new competent treatment is proving f***ing infuriating.
Nightmare mate hope you get sorted soon!

Back