Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
Back training after a week off compression straps have helped my bicep no end, especially at work won't be specifically training them again for a bit. Taking me a bit getting back at it with my bench hit 130kg double it's more stamina than strength I'm sure it will come back form felt a lot more solid this week. Hard work after a weekend on the peeve but

Back training after a week off compression straps have helped my bicep no end, especially at work won't be specifically training them again for a bit. Taking me a bit getting back at it with my bench hit 130kg double it's more stamina than strength I'm sure it will come back form felt a lot more solid this week. Hard work after a weekend on the peeve but

I've got a nagging twinge on the outside of my right bicep and I find it a lot better with dumbbells than a barbell and I thought it would be the opposite because of range of motion

I've got a nagging twinge on the outside of my right bicep and I find it a lot better with dumbbells than a barbell and I thought it would be the opposite because of range of motion
Feel like a drills went through my body with the pain, it's still not right just won't ever be able to rest it 100% due to nature of my job.

3 pb’s today, added 5kg to my deadlift and 2.5kg to back squat, and only just recorded chest press, only 45kg but not really done it much before, felt a bit wobbly even at that. All at 3x8 with warm up sets before. Slowly does it!

Literally taken the skin off my hands with the deadlifts tho how do people lift
Much heavier without f***ing their hands up? I did forget to apply the liquid chalk until final set tho.

I was waiting to see if anyone offered more valuable insights but I'll chip in on the deadlift hands thing. Over time I've developed little pads of hard skin at the bottom of my middle fingers, ring fingers and lately little fingers that protect my hands (the top layer comes off every so often but there's tough skin underneath that ready to come through) - so, depending on how long you've been doing it for, may be a matter of time?

I was waiting to see if anyone offered more valuable insights but I'll chip in on the deadlift hands thing. Over time I've developed little pads of hard skin at the bottom of my middle fingers, ring fingers and lately little fingers that protect my hands (the top layer comes off every so often but there's tough skin underneath that ready to come through) - so, depending on how long you've been doing it for, may be a matter of time?
Callouses, they say you should shave them off as they can tear which sounds nasty
How to Take Care of Your Calluses

Been training with a more Strength & Conditioning style since the reopening of gyms by going to a Crossfit style block of classes.

Much prefer it, feel stronger & fitter whilst looking better too.

Been working on deadlifts twice a week and comfortably hitting 160KG for 4 reps now, hopefully itll keep going up.

After a 2 week break, got two pbs today, 120kg dead lift and 70kg squat. Felt exhausted after today tho, knackered from work so surprised I managed it. Still on course to reach my goal.
I am still confident in what I said to you previously. And as soon as you hit your current goals you have the potential to go on and hit some decent numbers by the end of the year, should you wish.

Morning all,

I attempted to break my beltless five rep max on squat this morning and unfortunately ultimately failed. If anyone has any tips or cues to help me with the hot mess that is my elbow positioning on squat (first time I've videoed since moving my grip in and I'd hoped that would have sorted it but it clearly hasn't) they would be gratefully received.

Hope everyone is training well.

Morning all,

I attempted to break my beltless five rep max on squat this morning and unfortunately ultimately failed. If anyone has any tips or cues to help me with the hot mess that is my elbow positioning on squat (first time I've videoed since moving my grip in and I'd hoped that would have sorted it but it clearly hasn't) they would be gratefully received.

You get bonus points for making your attempt in a sauna, though.

Stuck some low weight thrusters into my leg work out on Wednesday only just regaining full use of my legs now. Thinking of using more movements like this as opposed to isolation work which I find boring as hell. Never really went down this route before but enjoyed it been watching some mad russian/Ukrainian it's got me thinking about a full change up with my training got a few pdfs of his training logs on line. Never really followed a program as such https://youtube.com/c/AlekseyTorokhtiy

Got another 3 pb yesterday, absolutely loving it at the minute, such a patient build up with the coach I’m training with totally concentrating on form and taking steps back when I need to. Added 5.5kg to my squat and it felt good.

Morning all,

Can you train with someone? I athi know would give up so much easier if someone wasn’t there pushing me on. I moved my whole grip and bar position yesterday it took some getting used to but having it a bit lower down my back definitely helped.

Last edited:
Got another 3 pb yesterday, absolutely loving it at the minute, such a patient build up with the coach I’m training with totally concentrating on form and taking steps back when I need to. Added 5.5kg to my squat and it felt good.

Can you train with someone? I athi know would give up so much easier if someone wasn’t there pushing me on. I moved my whole grip and bar position yesterday it took some getting used to but having it a bit lower down my back definitely helped.

Unfortunately not, my lifestyle means training c. 5.50 - 6.30, so before the gyms open and no-one else in my village trains as far as I'm aware.

Congratulations on the PB's - sounds like you're in full flow at the moment!
Contains spoilers - if you want to wait until Christmas for a World's Strongest Man update don't read on....

After day 1 of the finals Tom Stoltman is absolutely smashing it! 5.5 points ahead after two wins and a joint second (Shaw beat him by 25cm on the keg toss), absolutely sensational performance thus far. I always said if, and, right up until now it always felt a massive if for me, he could sort his mental game out he'd be indomitable, and looks like he's done exactly that - the work with the psychologist really seems to be paying off. Now for another day of watching spreadsheets refresh and trusting he'll see it over the line, three events to go.

Last edited:
Unfortunately not, my lifestyle means training c. 5.50 - 6.30, so before the gyms open and no-one else in my village trains as far as I'm aware.

Congratulations on the PB's - sounds like you're in full flow at the moment!
Contains spoilers - if you want to wait until Christmas for a World's Strongest Man update don't read on....

After day 1 of the finals Tom Stoltman is absolutely smashing it! 5.5 points ahead after two wins and a joint second (Shaw beat him by 25cm on the keg toss), absolutely sensational performance thus far. I always said if, and, right up until now it always felt a massive if for me, he could sort his mental game out he'd be indomitable, and looks like he's done exactly that - the work with the psychologist really seems to be paying off. Now for another day of watching spreadsheets refresh and trusting he'll see it over the line, three events to go.
Not that I’m any expert or anything but your elbows are pointing bsckwards, can you pull the bar tighter down to your neck so they are pointing straight down?

I have been training in Pure gym in Norwich as I'm stuck here for a couple weeks with work. A young un was in yesterday repping about 210kg deadlifts, which made me feel inadequate :lol:
There was also a youth last week doing sumo deads with about 100kg, but he made everyone know about it by throwing the weight back to the mat after EVERY SINGLE f***ing REP :evil:

I have been training in Pure gym in Norwich as I'm stuck here for a couple weeks with work. A young un was in yesterday repping about 210kg deadlifts, which made me feel inadequate :lol:
There was also a youth last week doing sumo deads with about 100kg, but he made everyone know about it by throwing the weight back to the mat after EVERY SINGLE f***ing REP :evil:
Powerlifting is like golf, on team sports we can all find our niche and be good at something but individual sports basically goes like this.

You get better but it's never good enough, so make peace with that before you even start lol, it's common when you tell a powerlifter how strong they are they'll instinctively tell you who's stronger than them, just look at @Charmless Man who can't forget about me.

Back