Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
Anyone ever trained with their partner? My wife is showing some interest in coming to the gym. I’ve just started back at lifting weights and doing a 2 day a week StrongLifts program and I’ve said I can show her the ropes.
She’s shitting herself at showing herself up though
Any particular reason for doing 5x5 twice a week? Is it a lack of time thing or for extra recovery? I pretty much had to start back again 12 weeks ago and now I'm almost at the point where I was pre-covid. Yesterday's session was absolutely f***ing brutal.

Any particular reason for doing 5x5 twice a week? Is it a lack of time thing or for extra recovery? I pretty much had to start back again 12 weeks ago and now I'm almost at the point where I was pre-covid. Yesterday's session was absolutely f***ing brutal.
Yer I’m about to start training for a marathon so running is my main training/goal. Weights are just supplementary

Yer I’m about to start training for a marathon so running is my main training/goal. Weights are just supplementary
How do you mix your weights and running, please?

I am doing 5x5 on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday usually.

I fancy doing an occasional 10k x-country, is it better to do it before or a after a weights day? I.e. a Tuesday preferable to a Monday?

Maybe it doesn’t matter if I go lighter on the leg workout the day before or after.

I fancy doing an occasional 10k x-country, is it better to do it before or a after a weights day? I.e. a Tuesday preferable to a Monday?

Maybe it doesn’t matter if I go lighter on the leg workout the day before or after.
My week is going to look something like:
Monday: rest
Tuesday: weights
Wednesday: intervals
Thursday: weights
Friday: rest
Saturday: tempo
Sunday: long run

it isn’t ideal but I need to keep the weights to Weekdays when the kids are at nursery then it’s trying to accommodate running and rest days.
I have to stress I’m not going to stick to the linear progression on StrongLifts. I’ll just be keeping it light. The loads atm are 60kg bench and BOR, 90kg squat, 120kg dead, 50kg overhead. I’m also including core work and hyperextensions into my weight days. I didn’t do enough of that in my last marathon training cycle
Think it regards to running the day after/before weights it’s a tricky one to answer but I’d image it’s all about the effort you put into both of the activities. As I say, my weights aren’t heavy for me and I doubt I’ll be adding much to them but the running is my main training goal so happy to sacrifice my weightlifting. I’m also in a calorie deficit

Last edited:
My week is going to look something like:
Monday: rest
Tuesday: weights
Wednesday: intervals
Thursday: weights
Friday: rest
Saturday: tempo
Sunday: long run

it isn’t ideal but I need to keep the weights to Weekdays when the kids are at nursery then it’s trying to accommodate running and rest days.
I have to stress I’m not going to stick to the linear progression on StrongLifts. I’ll just be keeping it light. The loads atm are 60kg bench and BOR, 90kg squat, 120kg dead, 50kg overhead. I’m also including core work and hyperextensions into my weight days. I didn’t do enough of that in my last marathon training cycle
Think it regards to running the day after/before weights it’s a tricky one to answer but I’d image it’s all about the effort you put into both of the activities. As I say, my weights aren’t heavy for me and I doubt I’ll be adding much to them but the running is my main training goal so happy to sacrifice my weightlifting. I’m also in a calorie deficit
Thank you, I am only really maintaining with the weights too.

I did a lot of running during lockdown but the emphasis is on weights while the gyms are open.

Good luck with your training.

Thank you, I am only really maintaining with the weights too.

I did a lot of running during lockdown but the emphasis is on weights while the gyms are open.

Good luck with your training.
I didn’t do enough running. My marathon this year got cancelled the week it was due to be held and I lost all motivation. Put on 2 lockdown stone so I’m just starting back the slog of getting that back off again. Enjoying being back in the gym but really struggling with running motivation, hoping it’s gonna start to become a habit again and fall into place

Speaking from experience, running and weights really don’t make good bed mates. I’d say, really, you can either do one or the other, but not both to any worthwhile degree.

Even if you’re running 3 miles a few times a week at a 7:30 to 8 minute pace which I’d say is the bare minimum you’d have to do to make it worthwhile doing anyway in terms of weight loss and/or time effectiveness, the combination of it being extremely heavy on the joints, eating into your existing muscle and being difficult to recover from make it probably the worst form of cardio you can do from a bodybuilding or strength training perspective. I say this as someone who used to love running, prior to a bunch of non-related injuries, and I can vouch for the runners high being a real thing, so I get the appeal. If it’s something you really enjoy, by all means do it, but I know I’d personally advocate doing practically every other form of cardio before running, if you have any strength/bodybuilding goals.

Speaking from experience, running and weights really don’t make good bed mates. I’d say, really, you can either do one or the other, but not both to any worthwhile degree.

Even if you’re running 3 miles a few times a week at a 7:30 to 8 minute pace which I’d say is the bare minimum you’d have to do to make it worthwhile doing anyway in terms of weight loss and/or time effectiveness, the combination of it being extremely heavy on the joints, eating into your existing muscle and being difficult to recover from make it probably the worst form of cardio you can do from a bodybuilding or strength training perspective. I say this as someone who used to love running, prior to a bunch of non-related injuries, and I can vouch for the runners high being a real thing, so I get the appeal. If it’s something you really enjoy, by all means do it, but I know I’d personally advocate doing practically every other form of cardio before running, if you have any strength/bodybuilding goals.
Thank you for the reply, I totally agree that it’s preferable to concentrate on one or the other.

If the gyms are closed again then I’m going to do hill sprints on my mountain bike instead of running. Plus I’ll sneak into the local park to do pull-ups and chin-ups.

Thank you for the reply, I totally agree that it’s preferable to concentrate on one or the other.

If the gyms are closed again then I’m going to do hill sprints on my mountain bike instead of running. Plus I’ll sneak into the local park to do pull-ups and chin-ups.
There’s still something to be said for the old adage, “the best form of exercise is the one you stick to.” I’d say to anyone, if you enjoy both lifting weights and running, then do both. I certainly used to. But your progress in both won’t be as good as it would if you were only doing only one or the other.

It’ll likely be back to the long walks, and doing dips on the chairs in my kitchen for me.

Have you read any of Alex Viada's work? Might be some useful bits for you.
I tend to think the interference effect is overstated for most of the general strength training population personally. Unless you're really trying to push both, it shouldn't be anywhere near as much a concern as losing out on the CV benefits for health and arguably work capacity in the gym (not the most efficient way, that would always involve specificity). The issue with pavement pounding is of course more a one of joint health and such, rather than the interference effect between training types

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to think the interference effect is overstated for most of the general strength training population personally. Unless you're really trying to push both, it shouldn't be anywhere near as much a concern as losing out on the CV benefits for health and arguably work capacity in the gym (not the most efficient way, that would always involve specificity). The issue with pavement pounding is of course more a one of joint health and such, rather than the interference effect between training types
No I haven’t but I’ll check him out, cheers.

Atm I’m not really pushing either but distance will start to creep up with the running fairly quickly. I’m only running 10 miles a week or so atm but by the end of my training cycle it’ll be more like 25-30 miles a week.

In terms of lifting, squats/dead’s are half my 1RM I set sometime ago, finding all my lifts easy but I am having some knee pain, something I’ve never had before which obviously is a little disconcerting. Hoping it’ll ease as I drop some weight. I use very cushioned shoes for running and I’m fairly confident with my form, as I am with my squatting form. Never experienced knee pain ever before from lifting or my last marathon training cycle

Very healthy bench session on Thursday still in bits now :lol: worked up to 5*5= 110kg then done 2*2 upto 130kg jumping up 5kg at a time felt really good. Was going to try 140kg for first time since lockdown but people telling me there f***ing lifestory of bench pressing put me off. In future I will be saying I couldn't give a fuck I've come to lift! Getting asked about steroids and shit like, weird as when other people beat PRS etc I'm happy not going steroids etc etc

You pointed some of us towards Viada way back in 2015, I was sure that I’d heard of him.

Everyone is different and has different circumstances..

For me I run 30-45 miles every week over circa 4000ft+ of climbing and weight lift compound exercises. I started with weight lifting before running, my lifts have gone down a little but I have lost weight...I still think i have a respectable squat, bench and deadlift. I run 5 or 6 days per week and generally train weights 2-3. I have ran a handful of marathon & ultra marathon distances this year and can run at the / better than the pace you said. I'm 32. I don't think I am an exceptional case i'm just saying from my experience I think it's possible to do both.

In the winter my knees get stiff but more prominent is the need to do regular stretching.

Last edited:
Just seen a clip of Yuriy Belkin pulling 450kg beltless :lol:
His deadlift technique is weird he doesn't actually look like he locks out his back but his knees are locked out about 2 inches of the ground.

Powerlifting is probably never gonna be a lucrative sport but after seeing a lot of comps and stuff online the best lifters have a too small a rom for it to become interesting.

I did it! Nailed the 100kg bench on Wednesday this week and with it the 400kg total I've been searching for. Absolutely over the moon. Two years of solid graft has really paid off, did it just under two months in advance of my target.

Without wanting to go full Oscar speech thanks to everyone who's shared knowledge and encouragement on here, it has been much appreciated.

Now it's time for a cut and going to switch to a more bodybuilding style routine for a while, whilst setting my sites on my first powerlifting competition.

Back