Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date

Saw a very impressive video on IG from a gym down the road from me. 20 year old squatting 260kg for 2. Clicked on his profile and there's a video of him deadlifting 300kg x 3 too.

Saw a very impressive video on IG from a gym down the road from me. 20 year old squatting 260kg for 2. Clicked on his profile and there's a video of him deadlifting 300kg x 3 too.
Last year I used the soviet deadlift program for 3 blocks, to try and progress my lift. After the 3 attempts I managed to pull 170kg, which was the most I’d ever lifted. Nearly killed me like.
Anyway, a lad in his mate 20’s came up to the gym with me the next week, never done deadlifts before- pulled 180 on his first attempt. C***
I’ve saw his insta story, he’s squatting well over 200 and dl 250 now, I guess he’s got youth on his side
Makes me sick :lol:

John haack just totaled 927kg using only a belt and sleeves at 90kg bodyweight.

Really wish I'd got into powerlifting at school or as a teenager c'est la vie.

Schools over here need a total overhaul of the PE curriculum.

For all that's wrong with the US, they get a lot right in that regard.

Not saying people would ever be coached powerlifting specifically, but as it stands the only kids who really get taught compound barbell movements are those who are snapped by academies, a system which inherently favours the children at the former half of the year group birthdays as they can essentially be a year ahead in physical development anyway and will often over shadow more technically gifted kids with birthdays towards the latter end of the year group cut off.

I really focused on my flat bench in the last 12 months before lockdown 5*5 managed to get to where my final set was 145kg regularly. Since going back to the gym Im very unmotivated with it hit fourty this year and sort of feel like I won't hit the numbers I was aiming for (wanted a 160kg bench even if it was one rep). Anyone else struggling with motivation since lockdown? Feel like I'm training with in myself and not pushing incase of another lockdown

I really focused on my flat bench in the last 12 months before lockdown 5*5 managed to get to where my final set was 145kg regularly. Since going back to the gym Im very unmotivated with it hit fourty this year and sort of feel like I won't hit the numbers I was aiming for (wanted a 160kg bench even if it was one rep). Anyone else struggling with motivation since lockdown? Feel like I'm training with in myself and not pushing incase of another lockdown
145kg is a pretty good bench like

Schools over here need a total overhaul of the PE curriculum.

For all that's wrong with the US, they get a lot right in that regard.

Not saying people would ever be coached powerlifting specifically, but as it stands the only kids who really get taught compound barbell movements are those who are snapped by academies, a system which inherently favours the children at the former half of the year group birthdays as they can essentially be a year ahead in physical development anyway and will often over shadow more technically gifted kids with birthdays towards the latter end of the year group cut off.
I can certainly vouch for this.

My birthday is in the middle of August and I was always reasonably decent at the technical aspects of most sports I took part in but was almost always overshadowed. It’s interesting because I’ve got good genetics for bodybuilding/weightlifting etc and in terms of most strength sports I’d probably be considered to have an ‘ideal’ build, but at school age group level, if you’re physically lagging you never quite make up the deficit in terms of development.

I’m in my thirties now and to this day, one of the lads who always jumps out at me as being one of the most proficient athletically at school is someone who would’ve been in the year above if he’d been born a couple of hours earlier!

I'm a fat bastard mate was training bench three times a week in the end using everything as an accessory for me bench. Got a bit obsessed with it. Just wish I'd tried a one rep max but didn't trust any spotters at my gym

You are the sort of person that makes a powerlifting meet totally drag between squats and deadlifts due to all the 'bench only' entrants :mad:

Just kidding mate, good numbers to be repping!

You are the sort of person that makes a powerlifting meet totally drag between squats and deadlifts due to all the 'bench only' entrants :mad:

Just kidding mate, good numbers to be repping!
Problem is I failed at 130kg on Thursday canny demoralising 120kg flying up 130kg barbell path feels off and don't feel set? I'm like a kid in the huff at the minute. Been spoto pressing aswell but I fucked me back doing that sort of dry humped it up with 90kg on summit in my backs done in off that. Falling to bits :lol:

Problem is I failed at 130kg on Thursday canny demoralising 120kg flying up 130kg barbell path feels off and don't feel set? I'm like a kid in the huff at the minute. Been spoto pressing aswell but I fucked me back doing that sort of dry humped it up with 90kg on summit in my backs done in off that. Falling to bits :lol:
If it’s any consolation I got stuck under the bar on Friday on the final rep of 5x5 and I luckily was able to slide the bar over to one side without a plate landing on anyone.

I’ll start using the benches with safety pins again, the last resort is a bench in one of the squat racks.

If it’s any consolation I got stuck under the bar on Friday on the final rep of 5x5 and I luckily was able to slide the bar over to one side without a plate landing on anyone.

I’ll start using the benches with safety pins again, the last resort is a bench in one of the squat racks.
At least it's not just me :lol: I've got some newbie using my squat rack for everything don't do it. If he sanitizers it any more he will melt the f***ing thing!

I've definitely been training within myself but its been to avoid injury more than anything else. Hip and hammies have been feeling a bit sketchy.

I've definitely been training within myself but its been to avoid injury more than anything else. Hip and hammies have been feeling a bit sketchy.
Long standing issues or something new? I couldn't do any bicep based training for a about a year fine pushing and pulling but isolation curls pain went from forearm to shoulder so didn't bother doing them and now my hamstrings are going just off benching, I feel like I need put down :lol:

Long standing issues or something new? I couldn't do any bicep based training for a about a year fine pushing and pulling but isolation curls pain went from forearm to shoulder so didn't bother doing them and now my hamstrings are going just off benching, I feel like I need put down :lol:

I did a lot of running over lockdown and can only assume its because of that.

I relate to this. Since the gyms reopened, I’ve been doing high bar squats with a narrow stance - so the movement is more quad dominant - while not going particularly heavy. I’m weak as a kitten but over the past few months, my quads have ballooned to the biggest they’ve ever been, so every cloud has a silver lining, I suppose.
Christ you must be keen I done 30 mins cardio after night shift the other day slept for 11 hours afterwards :lol: fat bastard for life
As someone who classes my 15 minute walk to the gym and back as my cardio, I feel compelled to say that doing 30 minutes after a night shift is impressive.

Last edited:
I relate to this. Since the gyms reopened, I’ve been doing high bar squats with a narrow stance - so the movement is more quad dominant - while not going particularly heavy. I’m weak as a kitten but over the past few months, my quads have ballooned to the biggest they’ve ever been, so every cloud has a silver lining, I suppose.

As someone who classes my 15 minute walk to the gym and back as my cardio, I feel compelled to say that doing 30 minutes after a night shift is impressive.
My plan was three times a week I don't it once and went bought a bag of haribos next week's new me and all that shabang :lol: watching rocky four montages for motivation.

Back