Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
This WUS series is definitely struggling with the multiple athlete proposition.

Yesterday, Shivlyakov and Hollands were going for the Masters deadlift World record.

Announced Shiv was going for 420kg for his opener (turned out to be 421kg).

Then, for a good while, were talking about Holland's going for 420 for his opener (was actually 400kg).

Shiv pulled 421 at the second attempt, Holland's pulling 420.

They then had Hollands pulling 430 - which would have been pointless as that was the current record. In any case Hollands failed. Turned out afterwards it was actually 438.

Shiv then failed his final attempt, which was 431 (which they announced correctly).

From their perspective it was fortunate they both failed the last one really - as if both had pulled them they would have announced Shiv as the new record holder, despite Hollands having pulled more before Shiv even went...
It's a bit shit the way the last few comps have gone, they need to get the basics right and weigh the weight as they did for Thor's deadlift.

Just upgraded from 20kg dumbells to over 100kg of weights complete with a bench and barbell bar, can anyone point me in the direction of a decent routine to get into?

Assuming you're a novice I started with Stronglifts (StrongLifts 5×5: Get Stronger by Lifting Weights only 3x/Week - download the app, one of the most cost effective tenners I've ever spent). Other people do Starting Strength or Greyskull LP. Sure there's others but the main thing is to pick something that focusses on the compounds and stick with it for a good while. Enjoy and keep us updated.
It's helps alot mate thank you!!!! And yes it was 27.5kg, :)

How you getting on mate?

Last edited:
Assuming you're a novice I started with Stronglifts (StrongLifts 5×5: Get Stronger by Lifting Weights only 3x/Week - download the app, one of the most cost effective tenners I've ever spent). Other people do Starting Strength or Greyskull LP. Sure there's others but the main thing is to pick something that focusses on the compounds and stick with it for a good while. Enjoy and keep us updated.

How you getting on mate?
Back went a bit mate and I've totally fallen off the band wagon being back at work.

Just upgraded from 20kg dumbells to over 100kg of weights complete with a bench and barbell bar, can anyone point me in the direction of a decent routine to get into?

It’ll depend on your goals but Wendler 5/3/1 is good for strength run it alongside his boring but big programme.

You can pick up loads of information about it online including some excel spreadsheets telling you exactly what to do on a given day.

Last edited:

Going along canny with this but just had a question regarding diet/supplements and stuff.

I've lost 65 pound since last April so down to a healthy weight of 163 mainly by sticking to an average 1600 calories a day plus some light weight training and generally being a more active.

Been reading this is way too low to actually put any muscle on though so wondering what kind of add ons if any would help?

Going along canny with this but just had a question regarding diet/supplements and stuff.

I've lost 65 pound since last April so down to a healthy weight of 163 mainly by sticking to an average 1600 calories a day plus some light weight training and generally being a more active.

Been reading this is way too low to actually put any muscle on though so wondering what kind of add ons if any would help?

Great to hear you're progressing and congratulations on the weight loss, a fantastic achievement.

Wow, 1,600 calories a day is restrictive! If you want to put on weight you will need to be in a calorie surplus (consuming more than you're burning). The excess above your maintenance calories will determine how quickly you add the weight, but the higher the surplus the more fat you will add along with muscle. Can only speak for myself but I'm lighter than you and am currently losing weight at c. 2,200 a day.

There are plenty of these calculators about but I've just had a look at this one and it had me about right:

In terms of supplements the best way to think about them is exactly that - they should supplement your diet for things you feel deficient in. The way I've worked it is to work out how many calories I want to consume, work out how much of that I want to be protein and then split the rest fairly arbitrarily between carbs and fats (I'm T1 diabetic and prefer fatty foods - so it tends to be more weighted towards fat if my blood sugar levels let me get away with it, with more carbs if I need them).

In terms of supplements I take creatine, which is cheap and is consistently shown to enhance performance (you can get it through meat but it tends not to be in volumes where it has the most impact). If I remember correctly it works through storing more water in your muscles, so you will get an initial weight gain boost through the water (think it's usually about 1-2 kilos). I will then occasionally take a pre-workout if I've had a rubbish night's sleep - but, as I say, that's because I'll feel deficient in energy ahead of that workout.

I'm no expert but hopefully that may help - I'm sure others will be able to chip in and share their experiences too.
Been using camber bar while basically no comps anywhere on note, really progressing well so I hope it transfers over to comp squats.

Was the cambered bar to work on a specific weakness or purely for variety? What, if anything, feels different about it please?
Gone back to putting the six week bench press solution into a four week window again as felt my progress had stalled. But as I'm now restricting myself to half hour sessions it may mean I have to drop row/overhead press on the higher bench volume sessions. Fitting deadlift in around the lower volume bench sessions (five deadlift sessions across four weeks).

Got a new bench PB at the weekend - 92.5kg. I'm thinking that 100kg is still within sight this calendar year. Just bought some wrist wraps as been suffering from some numbness in my hands, so hopefully they help. Also got a new squat PB at the weekend - 147.5kg, chuffed with that. Biggest lesson learned - don't go for a squat PB while needing the toilet - I didn't, but came close. Had to hightail it back into the house to make it in time!

Last edited:
Great to hear you're progressing and congratulations on the weight loss, a fantastic achievement.

Wow, 1,600 calories a day is restrictive! If you want to put on weight you will need to be in a calorie surplus (consuming more than you're burning). The excess above your maintenance calories will determine how quickly you add the weight, but the higher the surplus the more fat you will add along with muscle. Can only speak for myself but I'm lighter than you and am currently losing weight at c. 2,200 a day.

There are plenty of these calculators about but I've just had a look at this one and it had me about right:

In terms of supplements the best way to think about them is exactly that - they should supplement your diet for things you feel deficient in. The way I've worked it is to work out how many calories I want to consume, work out how much of that I want to be protein and then split the rest fairly arbitrarily between carbs and fats (I'm T1 diabetic and prefer fatty foods - so it tends to be more weighted towards fat if my blood sugar levels let me get away with it, with more carbs if I need them).

In terms of supplements I take creatine, which is cheap and is consistently shown to enhance performance (you can get it through meat but it tends not to be in volumes where it has the most impact). If I remember correctly it works through storing more water in your muscles, so you will get an initial weight gain boost through the water (think it's usually about 1-2 kilos). I will then occasionally take a pre-workout if I've had a rubbish night's sleep - but, as I say, that's because I'll feel deficient in energy ahead of that workout.

I'm no expert but hopefully that may help - I'm sure others will be able to chip in and share their experiences too.

Cheers, really helpful, definitely look into it.

It's odd going for so long looking to reduce a number then all of a sudden looking to make it go up in a positive way.

Suppose it's more about looking than the actual weight from this point.

Cheers, really helpful, definitely look into it.

It's odd going for so long looking to reduce a number then all of a sudden looking to make it go up in a positive way.

Suppose it's more about looking than the actual weight from this point.

I follow a guy on Instragram (CB Nutrition, I'd recommend him if you're on there) and he makes your last point over and over again - unless you're a competitor looking at a weight class then what the scales tell you is irrelevant - it's about how you look, or more importantly how you feel.

I had another couple of thoughts for you too. If you don't already, the best investment you can make is in a pair of scales. If you're estimating weights to work out your calories it's fairly likely you're going to be inaccurate (I say this as a maths graduate accountant who was shocked at the inaccuracy of some of my estimations when I started doing it!). I would recommend getting some scales and weighing everything for at least a couple of weeks. Then use that information to work out how many calories you've taken in, see what impact that has had, and tweak whatever the calculator you've used told you from there.

Keep us updated!

I follow a guy on Instragram (CB Nutrition, I'd recommend him if you're on there) and he makes your last point over and over again - unless you're a competitor looking at a weight class then what the scales tell you is irrelevant - it's about how you look, or more importantly how you feel.

I had another couple of thoughts for you too. If you don't already, the best investment you can make is in a pair of scales. If you're estimating weights to work out your calories it's fairly likely you're going to be inaccurate (I say this as a maths graduate accountant who was shocked at the inaccuracy of some of my estimations when I started doing it!). I would recommend getting some scales and weighing everything for at least a couple of weeks. Then use that information to work out how many calories you've taken in, see what impact that has had, and tweak whatever the calculator you've used told you from there.

Keep us updated!

I'm all over that yeah, been on MFP for since starting and track absolutely everything down to the last gram of red sauce.

Been a life changer really, gonna keep it up regardless of goals but sounds like it'll be just as important for putting weight back on.

I'm all over that yeah, been on MFP for since starting and track absolutely everything down to the last gram of red sauce.

Been a life changer really, gonna keep it up regardless of goals but sounds like it'll be just as important for putting weight back on.

Final thought on this is I would look at increasing your calories slowly. You've been effectively starving your body for a good while now, if you suddenly add c. 1k calories a day your body may think it's enjoying a one off feast, and store everything it can.

I can't really give any guidance about how to increase (other than to start and look at the impact) but a guy called Layne Norton has guidance on 'reverse dieting' that may be of interest to you.

Remember lads, if just starting back you will be fairly de trained so adjust programs accordingly. Use it as a time to make some form adjustments and have a humble re build while numbers are far from your best, rather than trying to throw a huge amount of volume at yourself to catch up to where you were.

Get those sets in, keep the intensity moderate and focus on good movement patterns! Don't engrain bad form trying to train at numbers you aren't capable of moving without the desired form. Nobody who is returning now should be doing anything near maximal loads, your connective tissue will not like it.

Assess your lockdown situation and consider how it may have effected mobility and certain muscles ability to fire properly. Really make sure everything is firing as properly and take a slow rebuild approach, otherwise you will end up getting hurt and having a longer term set back later in the year.

Lets see some good week by week post covid gains people :cool:

Last summer I was in great shape, but after a small back injury in September leading to 4 months out then lockdown I have lifted for about 1-2 months in the last 10 months.

Really determined to get back into it now and quite excited knowing I have done it before so can go through the exciting period of noticable growth again.

Went yesterday and today. Lifted way lighter than before. Eaten well too.

Last summer I was in great shape, but after a small back injury in September leading to 4 months out then lockdown I have lifted for about 1-2 months in the last 10 months.

Really determined to get back into it now and quite excited knowing I have done it before so can go through the exciting period of noticable growth again.

Went yesterday and today. Lifted way lighter than before. Eaten well too.

Once you've been there before it's just a case of patience. You'll be benefitting from all sorts of previous neural and muscular adaptations coming back quicker than people having to attain it for the first time. Muscle memory :cool:

Chest on Saturday, shoulders Sunday and did back last night. Can hardly lift my arms above my head this morning :lol:

Loving being back in the gym and doing this. Feels like a cloud is lifted almost straight away

Chest on Saturday, shoulders Sunday and did back last night. Can hardly lift my arms above my head this morning :lol:

Loving being back in the gym and doing this. Feels like a cloud is lifted almost straight away
Totally know what you mean. I bought some weights during lockdown but it’s not the same. Especially as I can now use the resistance stuff.

Back