Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
Thanks mate. When I get up and running I’ll keep it in mind. I was in yesterday around 11am and it was packed.
Yeah it's horrendous at the moment mate, I work from home on a Wednesday & Thursday so try and go on lunch around 12PM.

Just let me know if you want a hand spotting, it's no problem. I have often found myself wanting a spotter too when training alone, it sometimes frustrating.

Yeah it's horrendous at the moment mate, I work from home on a Wednesday & Thursday so try and go on lunch around 12PM.

Just let me know if you want a hand spotting, it's no problem. I have often found myself wanting a spotter too when training alone, it sometimes frustrating.
I haven’t even tried it around 6pm since the new year.

Any idea WTF has happened to my bench press since I started the Terry Holland’s programme? I’ve gone form doing 5x5 at 75kg quite easily to not even being able to do 6 reps at 55kg. Ended up dropping the weight to 50kg again just to get 6 reps out for 3 sets.

Any idea WTF has happened to my bench press since I started the Terry Holland’s programme? I’ve gone form doing 5x5 at 75kg quite easily to not even being able to do 6 reps at 55kg. Ended up dropping the weight to 50kg again just to get 6 reps out for 3 sets.

Quick breakdown of both approaches?

Do you track overall tonnage?

Quick breakdown of both approaches?

Do you track overall tonnage?
Previously doing Stronglifts.

The Terry Holland’s one is a 4 day Lowe body (squat, deadlift, leg press, lunges, extensions), push (military press, incline with dumbbells, bench, Z Press), pull (row, pull ups, active hangs) and posterior (RDL, KB Sumos, glute Bridge). It has 4 phases (I’m on week 5 so have just started phase 2), starts off low weight high rep (60% of 5x5 and increases weight and decreases reps)

Tonight’s overall “tonnage” was 3771kg whereas last week’s was 4132kg, previous week was 45something. I should probably add that it’s only my push session I’m seeing this in. My deadlift and squat have increased significantly, and I’ve gone form not being able to do a full pull up to managing 3-2-2 (with assisted pull ups thrown in additionally after my failures).
I should probably add that I’m (deliberately) losing weight which will obviously mean my strength levels won’t increase as much as they would if I was in a calorie surplus, but that wouldn’t explain the increase in strength in other areas.

Last edited:
That was a totally shit session tonight.

Arrived at the gym, realised I forgot my water bottle.

Went to do my Agile 8, no foam rollers

Earphones ran out of battery

No squat racks (did a 2 sets of goblet reverse lunges as I thought they were the least likely totire me out from the rest of the session.

Struggled with my squats. Deadlifts were easy, got a PB on 3x5 leg press.

Couldn’t get on the leg extension machine. Did some calf raises while I waited, still in use. Did the last set of goblet lunges, still in use. Did my cardio, fit bit turned off during the stopwatch and wouldn’t turn back on, still in use. Boy then finally finished on it and I’m on my way home 25mins later than planned.

That’s why I hate the gym during January and February!

Last edited:

Back