Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
The bodybuilding guy is almost like a local celebrity at the gym and always has his harem with him, the male receptionist usually comes down to watch him do his workout. It’s pathetic. He was a couple of years below me at primary school (he went to the local private school for high school) and his parents own our town’s “famous” ice cream parlour.

The guy who was squatting on his tiptoes had 2 spotters with him too and neither of them spotted it (and both were squatting “properly”) so I didn’t really like to say “Hey, remember me from that stag do 8 years ago? You’re squatting wrong”
Leave them to it then! The bodybuilder will no doubt knacker himself from injuries and long term roid damage.

Slow and steady is safest.

Been full of cold but dragged my arse to the gym regardless. Spent all day thinking I'll have a light day but thought fuck it when I got the the gym and plodded on. Squatted 112.5kg 5x5 pretty easily. I feel much better now after my work out. Managed 70kg 5x5 of bent over row despite failing last session. Didn't expect to make any progress today at all.
Can someone offer me some advice with my deadlift? I'm finding myself having to roll the barbell over my knees on the way down, altering it's natural path. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
170kg pulled yesterday at the end of another 6 week period with the Soviet Peaking programme. 200kg target for this time next year I reckon
Been full of cold but dragged my arse to the gym regardless. Spent all day thinking I'll have a light day but thought fuck it when I got the the gym and plodded on. Squatted 112.5kg 5x5 pretty easily. I feel much better now after my work out. Managed 70kg 5x5 of bent over row despite failing last session. Didn't expect to make any progress today at all.
Can someone offer me some advice with my deadlift? I'm finding myself having to roll the barbell over my knees on the way down, altering it's natural path. What am I doing wrong?
Sounds like you might not be hinging your hips enough?

170kg pulled yesterday at the end of another 6 week period with the Soviet Peaking programme. 200kg target for this time next year I reckon

Sounds like you might not be hinging your hips enough?

Congratulations on the 170kg mate, keep at it.

Agreed on the hop hinging too.

Love those sessions when you're expecting nothing but then go in and smash it, really satisfying!
107.5kg squat 5x5 today. I haven't actually stalled on the squat since I started but I have a feeling I'm going to find 110kg difficult. Stalled on the bent over row today at 70kg. Found myself bending my wrists at the top of the lift to bring it closer to my chest.

Still enjoying it but the workouts are taking quite a while now and I can only imagine them getting longer the heavier the weights get.

It was time that was the limiting factor in Stronglifts for me too. As long as you acknowledge that you could go heavier if you left it three minutes between sets then I'd be fairly comfortable failing and moving weights up and reps and sets down. From what I've read 5*5 is predominantly to get your form correct anyway. Read a few people say that people spend too long ploughing through 5*5 anyway.

Last edited:

Love those sessions when you're expecting nothing but then go in and smash it, really satisfying!

It was time that was the limiting factor in Stronglifts for me too. As long as you acknowledge that you could go heavier if you left it three minutes between sets then I'd be fairly comfortable failing and moving weights up and reps and sets down. From what I've read 5*5 is predominantly to get your form correct anyway. Read a few people say that people spend too long ploughing through 5*5 anyway.
I'm leaving it 3 mins between sets of squats and shoulder presses. Would you mind elaborating a little further mate? Are you saying I should drop down to 3x3 or something?

5x5 suits me for some lifts and not for others. I prefer to use a lighter weight for rows for example as I want to maintain good form. Plus I’m quite a slim build and don’t lift massive weights so I do more volume overall.

If you have time restrictions then set a time per exercise limit. Say squats you're meant to do 5 x 5, just change it to 'x 5 up to 5 sets or 15 mins'

Work capacity and max recoverable volume levels aren't static anyway.

Joined the Stronglifts 100kg squat club tonight.
Haha, this wasn’t that long ago and I was totally chuffed about it - I used 100kg as my final warm up weight today!

Still struggling to push past 72.5kg on the bench though, back to that weight again after my second de-load and only managed 5,4,3,3. Might get look at some of the Jeff Cavaliere videos and see what tips he has.

Last edited:
If you have time restrictions then set a time per exercise limit. Say squats you're meant to do 5 x 5, just change it to 'x 5 up to 5 sets or 15 mins'

Work capacity and max recoverable volume levels aren't static anyway.
Would you include warming up in that time mate?

Squatted 120kg 5x5 tonight. Failed it on wed.

I've knacked my tricep. It was feeling tender when I was squatting last session but absolutely knacked today...so much so that I wasn't able to do any bent over rows. Is it possible to damage your tricep from squatting?! Its most painful on the way up...not sure if I'm twisting my arm on the way?

Any tips for a knackered tricep then? How long should I rest it for? I've got ice on it at the minute and have taken ibuprofen and paracetamol.

Pretty pissed off that this might halt my progress but I suppose injuries are inevitable at some stage.

Last edited:

I've knacked my tricep. It was feeling tender when I was squatting last session but absolutely knacked today...so much so that I wasn't able to do any bent over rows. Is it possible to damage your tricep from squatting?! Its most painful on the way up...not sure if I'm twisting my arm on the way?

Any tips for a knackered tricep then? How long should I rest it for? I've got ice on it at the minute and have taken ibuprofen and paracetamol.

Pretty pissed off that this might halt my progress but I suppose injuries are inevitable at some stage.

No idea if its scientifically proven but the freeze gel restricts blood flow or summit which helps heal the muscle.

Helped with me so can recommend

I'm leaving it 3 mins between sets of squats and shoulder presses. Would you mind elaborating a little further mate? Are you saying I should drop down to 3x3 or something?

I'm assuming Titus' response helped with this? Are you using the app on Stronglifts? What I did was say I was only going to give myself two minutes between the working sets, knowing that I was going to fail. Then, once you've failed and deloaded so many times the app tells you to drop sets and reps.

Nice work on the 120kg for 5*5, what body weight are you sat at?

I've struggled with elbow pain in the past from squatting heavy, I used to pull the bar down hard on the way back up to give me something to leverage against with the legs. Dropped the weight a bit, concentrated on not doing that by consciously thinking about it and made sure I was keeping my upper back and shoulders tight and that seemed to fix it.

Hope you're back to 100% soon mate.

Last edited:

Which part of the Tricep mate? Closer to the inner side of the elbow (if arms were dangled by side and palms facing in front of you)? It's difficult to say for certain without seeing form or individual mobility issues. Try opening up the t spine, shoulders and everything in that region. You may be pinning yourself in a position getting under the bar that exceeds your mobility. Unfortunately it's hard to realise until you're in agony, as you're seeing :D

Edit: a lot of people also take a very narrow grip for the upper back tightness. If this is the case try widening a bit and focus on engaging the lats, as the narrower grip makes it harder

Last edited by a moderator:
Which part of the Tricep mate? Closer to the inner side of the elbow (if arms were dangled by side and palms facing in front of you)? It's difficult to say for certain without seeing form or individual mobility issues. Try opening up the t spine, shoulders and everything in that region. You may be pinning yourself in a position getting under the bar that exceeds your mobility. Unfortunately it's hard to realise until you're in agony, as you're seeing :D

Edit: a lot of people also take a very narrow grip for the upper back tightness. If this is the case try widening a bit and focus on engaging the lats, as the narrower grip makes it harder
It's pretty much a couple of inches directly up from my elbow. I've got a vid of my last 5 reps but not sure how to upload it in here. I've actually widened my grip slightly over the past few sessions so not sure if that's contributed?

How long should I rest it for?
I'm assuming Titus' response helped with this? Are you using the app on Stronglifts? What I did was say I was only going to give myself two minutes between the working sets, knowing that I was going to fail. Then, once you've failed and deloaded so many times the app tells you to drop sets and reps.

Nice work on the 120kg for 5*5, what body weight are you sat at?

I've struggled with elbow pain in the past from squatting heavy, I used to pull the bar down hard on the way back up to give me something to leverage against with the legs. Dropped the weight a bit, concentrated on not doing that by consciously thinking about it and made sure I was keeping my upper back and shoulders tight and that seemed to fix it.

Hope you're back to 100% soon mate.
Body weight is 99kg mate.

I just stuck to my usual stronglift routine as I had the time to finish it.

I actually noticed the I'd been doing too many warm up reps...I'd been doing everything at x5 until I noticed the app was actually telling me to do 3x80, 2x100 and 1x110 🤣

Last edited:
It's pretty much a couple of inches directly up from my elbow. I've got a vid of my last 5 reps but not sure how to upload it in here. I've actually widened my grip slightly over the past few sessions so not sure if that's contributed?

How long should I rest it for?

Body weight is 99kg mate.

I just stuck to my usual stronglift routine as I had the time to finish it.

I actually noticed the I'd been doing too many warm up reps...I'd been doing everything at x5 until I noticed the app was actually telling me to do 3x80, 2x100 and 1x110 🤣

If you've widened the grip maybe you need to just mess about with finding your 'shelf' for bar placement. Also check the bars at the gym aren't bent and rolling when you've unracked.

You can upload to YouTube as an unlisted video, so only people with the link can view, if that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you've widened the grip maybe you need to just mess about with finding your 'shelf' for bar placement. Also check the bars at the gym aren't bent and rolling when you've unracked.

You can upload to YouTube as an unlisted video, so only people with the link can view, if that helps.
I'll hoy a link up later.

Here you go mate. Angle is probably a bit shit like but I wasn't expecting anyone other than me to watch this. Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I'll hoy a link up later.

Here you go mate. Angle is probably a bit shit like but I wasn't expecting anyone other than me to watch this. Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah mate, looks like mobility issues around the shoulder complex somewhere, possibly tspine too. It's pitching your elbows far behind the bar.

Until then maybe widen the grip more and sacrifice a bit of weight of necessary, then gradually bring grip back in as mobility improves.

Yeah mate, looks like mobility issues around the shoulder complex somewhere, possibly tspine too. It's pitching your elbows far behind the bar.

Until then maybe widen the grip more and sacrifice a bit of weight of necessary, then gradually bring grip back in as mobility improves.
So my elbows need to be closer to my body? Do you think that this has definitely caused the tricep strain then?

What's the rest of my form like of you don't mind me asking?
My gym has a belt squat. Should I use that for a while?

Last edited:

Back