Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
Well done you.

I've been doing this 12 weeks mate. 100kg squat 5x5, 110kg deadlift 5x5.

I'm pretty f***ing impressed with myself to be honest.
Like I said I wasn’t being critical, only that you need to consider relative and absolute strength.
I bet you’ve been to Elevenerife!

BTW the first time I did Stronglifts I was 80kg and deadlifting 180kg for 5x5. I’m just building it up again slowly (whilst also trying to get down to my “fighting weight”) and my confidence in putting the weight up has skyrocketed since I’ve actually joined a proper gym.
Nice one arnie!

I do weights as an accessory to my running, hopefully smashing a 3 minute mile next week.

Last edited:

I don’t want to be critical but it’s just a number. I have seen massively fat lads in the gym high five-ing after doing 1 rep of 100kg bench press and it doesn’t mean that they’re strong.

I weigh 65kg and can deadlift 135kg.

Squat is a bit more impressive but I have seen 50kg Thai fighters do the same when I was in Hanoi when I trained with the viet cong.
Pump your stats into this bad boy.

Stevie's been at the beer again and got a bit mouthy I see.

I don’t want to be critical but it’s just a number. I have seen massively fat lads in the gym high five-ing after doing 1 rep of 100kg bench press and it doesn’t mean that they’re strong.

I weigh 65kg and can deadlift 135kg.

Squat is a bit more impressive but I have seen 50kg Thai fighters do the same when I was in Hanoi when I trained with the viet cong.
Pump your stats into this bad boy.

Yes but those Thai fighters are 4 foot tall.

Deadlift 1RM was 180kg, couldn't even get it off the floor earlier (Sunday evening).

Bench 1RM up from 65kg to 80kg.

I currently rep 3x8 each for DL, BP and Overhead press at 100, 50 and 50kg apiece.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong with regards to the deadlift? I have a feeling its down to form.

Deadlift 1RM was 180kg, couldn't even get it off the floor earlier (Sunday evening).

I currently rep 3x8 each for DL, BP and Overhead press at 100, 50 and 50kg apiece.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong with regards to the deadlift? I have a feeling its down to form.

There was a video posted a couple of weeks back when I was struggling with my form and it’s helped loads.

I de-loaded significantly and am building it back up and after 2 weeks I’m nearly back to my where I was before.

Also, something to note is that Stronglifts only does one set of 5 for deadlifts even though everything else is 5x5. I’m not sure why that is but you would be able to do one set of
5 at a higher weight than 5x5.

There was a video posted a couple of weeks back when I was struggling with my form and it’s helped loads.

I de-loaded significantly and am building it back up and after 2 weeks I’m nearly back to my where I was before.

Also, something to note is that Stronglifts only does one set of 5 for deadlifts even though everything else is 5x5. I’m not sure why that is but you would be able to do one set of
5 at a higher weight than 5x5.

Would the 1x5 at heavier weight give me more benefit going forward than the 3x8 at 100?

When did you last deadlift before attempting it and how frequently do you deadlift/at what intensity?
Would the 1x5 at heavier weight give me more benefit going forward than the 3x8 at 100?

Depends entirely on what your goals are and what your capacity to recover is like.

I prefer the heavier single set when it comes to deadlifts and then a lot of assistance work around that. As opposed to squat and bench where I'll do multiple sets 3-4 times a week.

Last edited:
Any idea what I should set my calorie intake/macros at?
I wear a Garmin running watch most days and it has a heart rate monitor in it - when you buy it you put your statistics in and then it calculates in real time your calories burned during the day. It all gets sent to an app which logs it over a day, week, year etc. It also gives you a lot of performance insights, tracks your sleep and can advise on recovery duration.

I have a Garmin 235 which was about £150 from Argos, there are cheaper / more expensive options. But IMO much more accurate than online calculators.

When did you last deadlift before attempting it and how frequently do you deadlift/at what intensity?

Depends entirely on what your goals are and what your capacity to recover is like.

I prefer the heavier single set when it comes to deadlifts and then a lot of assistance work around that. As opposed to squat and bench where I'll do multiple sets 3-4 times a week.

I was doing my one rep attempt once a week - Sunday evenings. Haven't had the capacity to be up as much lately so probably tried it once in the last three weeks or so but had been lifting 3x8 100kg as reps in a set.

deadlift is one of the hardest exercises to plan a peak for imo, it is for me anyway too much and I'm still fatigued too little and I lose the strength. Just fiddle about with your volume and how much you actually lift before peaking.

A general rule would be something like 5x8 1 week, 5x5 next week, 6x3 week after, then deload so week 4 is 3x5 with 50% then week after that you do your 1rm.

Very basic and you'll have to fiddle with things to fine tune them but that might help.

107.5kg squat 5x5 today. I haven't actually stalled on the squat since I started but I have a feeling I'm going to find 110kg difficult. Stalled on the bent over row today at 70kg. Found myself bending my wrists at the top of the lift to bring it closer to my chest.

Still enjoying it but the workouts are taking quite a while now and I can only imagine them getting longer the heavier the weights get.

107.5kg squat 5x5 today. I haven't actually stalled on the squat since I started but I have a feeling I'm going to find 110kg difficult. Stalled on the bent over row today at 70kg. Found myself bending my wrists at the top of the lift to bring it closer to my chest.

Still enjoying it but the workouts are taking quite a while now and I can only imagine them getting longer the heavier the weights get.
Are you doing bent over row as per stronglifts website?

As an alternative have a look at what Jeff cavaliere recommends.

That's the idea! If you've done a 5x5 of 107.5kg then it's not like you're going to completely fuck up 110kg , just get into it and if the workout is hard you're doing it right.

Are you doing bent over row as per stronglifts website?

As an alternative have a look at what Jeff cavaliere recommends.

That’s a good video.

Just watched his squats one too, and that (the lifting with the hips)was the problem I had the first time I did Stronglifts but, fingers crossed I’ve been ok this time but I can fee myself heading that way at 107.5kg today so might stick at that weight a few sessions to fix it with his ankle exercises and face pulls. I know it’s not a quad strength issue because, as he says in the video, I can hold the weight at the bottom of the movement for at least 5 seconds before I push up again.

Last edited:
That’s a good video.

Just watched his squats one too, and that (the lifting with the hips)was the problem I had the first time I did Stronglifts but, fingers crossed I’ve been ok this time but I can fee myself heading that way at 107.5kg today so might stick at that weight a few sessions to fix it with his ankle exercises and face pulls. I know it’s not a quad strength issue because, as he says in the video, I can hold the weight at the bottom of the movement for at least 5 seconds before I push up again.
The deadlift one helped me a lot. Stronglifts is good but it assumes that everyone can do the compound movements. Sometimes it’s necessary to plug in an alternative as not everyone is going to be a power lifter and all you need are push-pull movements.

I have been reducing the weights on most of my lifts and focused on form, and it’s interesting how you can become lax in order to lift a bit more weight.

The deadlift one helped me a lot. Stronglifts is good but it assumes that everyone can do the compound movements. Sometimes it’s necessary to plug in an alternative as not everyone is going to be a power lifter and all you need are push-pull movements.

I have been reducing the weights on most of my lifts and focused on form, and it’s interesting how you can become lax in order to lift a bit more weight.
I’ve seen some shocking form since I joined the gym. I’ve never intervened because I still consider myself a novice but I’ve seen a friend of a friend squatting with his heels off the ground and a big bodybuilder type (who looks like he always skips leg day) deadlifting with a rounded back.

I’ve seen some shocking form since I joined the gym. I’ve never intervened because I still consider myself a novice but I’ve seen a friend of a friend squatting with his heels off the ground and a big bodybuilder type (who looks like he always skips leg day) deadlifting with a rounded back.
Most of the gym workers don’t know any better either.

I think that a lot of people would be better suited to using the machines.

Most of the gym workers don’t know any better either.

I think that a lot of people would be better suited to using the machines.
The bodybuilding guy is almost like a local celebrity at the gym and always has his harem with him, the male receptionist usually comes down to watch him do his workout. It’s pathetic. He was a couple of years below me at primary school (he went to the local private school for high school) and his parents own our town’s “famous” ice cream parlour.

The guy who was squatting on his tiptoes had 2 spotters with him too and neither of them spotted it (and both were squatting “properly”) so I didn’t really like to say “Hey, remember me from that stag do 8 years ago? You’re squatting wrong”

Last edited:

Back