Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date

saw the first bit of impressive lifting at my new gym last night. Chinese student no more than 12-13 stone I reckon squatting close to 200kg for reps

saw the first bit of impressive lifting at my new gym last night. Chinese student no more than 12-13 stone I reckon squatting close to 200kg for reps

Very impressive!
Very impressive!

Has anyone used citrulline malate before? Saw a post from Bill Campbell saying it's one of the only preworkout ingredients with any positive research behind it, and wondered if anyone had received any positive effects? Cheers.

Last edited:
Maybe it’s just because I’m not used to going to a “proper” gym, but how the Hell can 1 guy be using the same flat bench press for my entire stronglifts session.

I know it’s no majorhardship dragging a bench over to the squat rack (apart from lifting it onto the platform) but I find the actual bench set up not comfortable.

Maybe it’s just because I’m not used to going to a “proper” gym, but how the Hell can 1 guy be using the same flat bench press for my entire stronglifts session.

I know it’s no majorhardship dragging a bench over to the squat rack (apart from lifting it onto the platform) but I find the actual bench set up not comfortable.
I have to put a 10kg plate under the benches at our gym for the safety bars to be in the correct position. It’s a faff on, plus the new benches aren’t fixed at the opposite end to the wheels so you can’t drag them.

Last week there was one lad who I saw do two sets of a decent deadlift tbf through my whole hour session. As I walked in he started one set, about 40 minutes of walking about the gym, talking, pumping himself up, then another set.

Any tips for keeping my form on heavy (for me) deadlifts?

It’s spot on for my warm up sets (50kg, 70kg, 100kg at the moment) but as soon as I get to my working set (130kg last night) my form goes to shit. I thought it was my grip so invested in some straps but same problem. I feel my back is straight at my starting position then as soon as I start to stand up I can feel my back rounding. Don’t want to injure myself and I do feel a bit tender this morning. I already de-loaded when I joined the gym whilst I got used to the new equipment but might need to do it again to sort out my form.

It’s spot on for my warm up sets (50kg, 70kg, 100kg at the moment) but as soon as I get to my working set (130kg last night) my form goes to shit. I thought it was my grip so invested in some straps but same problem. I feel my back is straight at my starting position then as soon as I start to stand up I can feel my back rounding. Don’t want to injure myself and I do feel a bit tender this morning. I already de-loaded when I joined the gym whilst I got used to the new equipment but might need to do it again to sort out my form.

A few general thoughts - do you used mixed grip for your top set? Will help you not need the straps for a while longer if you haven't tried that.

Where do you look as you set up? A tip I've read is to pick a spot about five - six feet in front of you on the floor and focus your eyes there, until you begin to bring the back into it as you lift.

Finally, do you essentially just use legs (pushing through your feet) until the bar is about at your knees? @Stevie Freestein II and I watched the same video explaining this (I posted it on this thread about six months ago, have a dig and if you can't find it I'll re-post) and we both benefited from it.

A few general thoughts - do you used mixed grip for your top set? Will help you not need the straps for a while longer if you haven't tried that.

Where do you look as you set up? A tip I've read is to pick a spot about five - six feet in front of you on the floor and focus your eyes there, until you begin to bring the back into it as you lift.

Finally, do you essentially just use legs (pushing through your feet) until the bar is about at your knees? @Stevie Freestein II and I watched the same video explaining this (I posted it on this thread about six months ago, have a dig and if you can't find it I'll re-post) and we both benefited from it.
Cheers

I was reading about the “where are you looking?” thing when I got home last night and that had never occurred to me - by checking my form in the mirror I was potentially wrecking exactly what I was trying to check.

I’ve always used mixed grip for deadlifts, it seems. To be my finger strength rather than my thumb and palm - I bought a grip strengthened a while back but haven’t really used it.

That video would be handy. I can’t say I’ve ever really paid attention to where my back takes over from my legs so might be useful.

How long do you take? Of late its not been uncommon for me to spend 30 minutes or more on bench.

Warm ups, 2-3 working sets, 3-4 back off sets, 2-3 mins rest.

How long do you take? Of late its not been uncommon for me to spend 30 minutes or more on bench.

Warm ups, 2-3 working sets, 3-4 back off sets, 2-3 mins rest.
It will have been at least an hour.

There when I arrived
Warm up on cross trainer and full stretch (10-15mins)
Strong lifts workout (squat, bench, BER - 40mins)
Full stretch cool down (5-10mins)
Still there when I left

It finally twigged for me after I used a hex bar for a month or two.

Cheers

I was reading about the “where are you looking?” thing when I got home last night and that had never occurred to me - by checking my form in the mirror I was potentially wrecking exactly what I was trying to check.

I’ve always used mixed grip for deadlifts, it seems. To be my finger strength rather than my thumb and palm - I bought a grip strengthened a while back but haven’t really used it.

That video would be handy. I can’t say I’ve ever really paid attention to where my back takes over from my legs so might be useful.

Here you go mate:

Let us know how you get on.

It’s spot on for my warm up sets (50kg, 70kg, 100kg at the moment) but as soon as I get to my working set (130kg last night) my form goes to shit. I thought it was my grip so invested in some straps but same problem. I feel my back is straight at my starting position then as soon as I start to stand up I can feel my back rounding. Don’t want to injure myself and I do feel a bit tender this morning. I already de-loaded when I joined the gym whilst I got used
o the new equipment but might need to do it again to sort out my form.

Your working weight is too high for the moment.

Tightness is key. Make sure you're trying to bend the bar around your shins, engaging the lats. The lats are a massive muscles that stretch from shoulder blade to pelvis. When setting up for the deadlift, focus on 'hiding' the arm pits, the shoulder adduction will keep the lats and other muscles that run from the pelvis to upper back engaged. As you do this, flex your tricep to keep the elbows locked out and arms straight.

Even with the above in mind, resist the urge to yank the weight from the floor. You need to overcome inertia without applying a sharp jerky motion that is going to give you a rapid resisting force at the lowest part of mechanical advantage. This is also one of the most common reasons I see people's form go down the toilet once the lift starts, even when the first paragraph is taken in to account. To minimise this (firstly see points in the last paragraph, particularly locked elbows), envision you're stood on a conveyer belt and you're trying to push the floor forwards, away from you, to initiate the lift.

Cliffs:

- Tight lats and spinal erectors through wrapping bar around the shins and hiding armpits.

- Locked elbows

- Push floor away from you, not directly in to floor.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back