Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
It must be a pain in the arse having to manage your food and insulin so much, I am very lucky in that I just eat and lift/run and eat and sleep with relatively little thought involved.

I am happy with x2 body weight and my bench is improving again, up to 77.5kg but I would like to surpass 100kg one day.

Re: the 400kg club, this is combined dead + bench + squat I assume. Is it body weight relative? You are still very light compared to a lot of lifters so I’d have thought the bigger people would have to lift more than 400kg.

Yeah - it's 140 squat, 160 deadlift, 100 bench. Not sure how widely it's known/recognised but Mehdi from Stronglifts talked about it so I set it as my first big target. Then it's on to the 500 club, which I may or may not ever reach!

The diabetes isn't too bad - timewise it's just like having an extra hobby that you don't get much joy from, haha. People contend with much worse!

You got up to 90 on bench before didn't you? Sure there'll be 100 there!

Yeah - it's 140 squat, 160 deadlift, 100 bench. Not sure how widely it's known/recognised but Mehdi from Stronglifts talked about it so I set it as my first big target. Then it's on to the 500 club, which I may or may not ever reach!

The diabetes isn't too bad - timewise it's just like having an extra hobby that you don't get much joy from, haha. People contend with much worse!

You got up to 90 on bench before didn't you? Sure there'll be 100 there!
Yes I did 90kg 1RM but it’s a while ago and I’d followed a 6 week programme while ignoring the other lifts.

Would you be close to competitive level if you reach 400kg?

You'll be doing CrossFit soon I bet....

I think I'd get kicked out of my gym for doing that :lol:
Well done!

I still can’t believe how far behind your bench press is though. In my case I am equally as weak at everything!

I am up to 135kg deadlift at 63kg ish body weight.

Maintain that bench will lag for people who train on their own. You need a regular spotter to push it.

Pulled 260kg off blocks the other night at an RPE of about 8. I have serious problems with my set up in actual deadlift currently though. Can't get my hips right.

Last edited:
I think I'd get kicked out of my gym for doing that :lol:

Maintain that bench will lag for people who train on their own. You need a regular spotter to push it.

Pulled 260kg off blocks the other night at an RPE of about 8. I have serious problems with my set up in actual deadlift currently though. Can't get my hips right.
I do the bench in a squat rack - there are 5 at our university gym.

I have improved at deadlift by using a hex bar to sort out my positioning and this transferred to a standard bar. It was a case of learning to push with the feet until I got to the knees.

To activate my glutes I sort of ‘screw’ the knees out without actually moving them.

I do the bench in a squat rack - there are 5 at our university gym.

I have improved at deadlift by using a hex bar to sort out my positioning and this transferred to a standard bar. It was a case of learning to push with the feet until I got to the knees.

To activate my glutes I sort of ‘screw’ the knees out without actually moving them.

Even if you have the safety bars set up, I still think getting a lift out and the confidence someone will help you if necessary is needed to push on to big numbers.

I would be shitting myself pushing 140kg on bench without a spotter but with someone there it feels remarkably easy.

Even if you have the safety bars set up, I still think getting a lift out and the confidence someone will help you if necessary is needed to push on to big numbers.

I would be shitting myself pushing 140kg on bench without a spotter but with someone there it feels remarkably easy.
I don’t think that any/many people at our gym could spot a 140kg bench never mind lift one. Maybe some of the rugby or rowing team.

To be fair at 18-22 years old they have plenty of time to get stronger but most of the students seem to ponse around with dumb bells or drop their deadlifts.

Wish I had that kind of problem! Think it may be an adaptation from the way I lost my weight but I look at food and put weight on!

Ha'way - you're bowling them underarm at @Lewberry pie now man.
I'm now one big step closer to the 400 club - nailed the 160 deadlift. It was really comfortable in the end so really pleased with that.

Also back to a 140 squat in the same session so really pleased. Going to go for 146 over the next week or so which would be a pb.

Failed at 85 and 80 on the bench but going to retry 80 next week - I got a 75 (which is my previous pb, I failed 70 12 weeks ago) so progress is being made but not as quickly as I'd hoped.

@maygo I was already warm from squat and bench but my reps for the deadlift were:

60*5
80*5
100*3
Three minute rest
130*1
Five minute rest
160*1
Very loud shout of 'YES'
Tremendous that like, I’m a third through my soviet programme and feeling boss so far- will post an update on my 160 attempt in a month

Yes I did 90kg 1RM but it’s a while ago and I’d followed a 6 week programme while ignoring the other lifts.

Would you be close to competitive level if you reach 400kg?

I've had a look at competition results and I wouldn't have come bottom with my current totals in my weight class in the few that I've looked at. However, difficult to know if I could replicate gym lifts in a competition and there are very few lifters at my weight so difficult to benchmark really. I may enter myself at some point just for the experience - may be the next goal once I got the 400 (don't tell Simpsylass!).
Tremendous that like, I’m a third through my soviet programme and feeling boss so far- will post an update on my 160 attempt in a month

Glad it's going well, long may it continue! Looking forward to the update.

In case anyone's interested B&M have started stocking Grenade stuff last couple of times I've been in - £1.37 for the Carb Killa bars (cookies and cream last time, Jaffa quake this) and £1 for the Go Nuts.

I've also come across food circle supermarket - they sell stuff that's about to go out of date really cheaply - £12 for a box of 12 Quest bars for example.

I think with things like that you can ignore the best before dates - I've still got a Myprotein cookie in the cupboard that went out of date last summer - had the penultimate one a couple of weeks ago and it was still good.

Last edited:
I've had a look at competition results and I wouldn't have come bottom with my current totals in my weight class in the few that I've looked at. However, difficult to know if I could replicate gym lifts in a competition and there are very few lifters at my weight so difficult to benchmark really. I may enter myself at some point just for the experience - may be the next goal once I got the 400 (don't tell Simpsylass!).

Glad it's going well, long may it continue! Looking forward to the update.

In case anyone's interested B&M have started stocking Grenade stuff last couple of times I've been in - £1.37 for the Carb Killa bars (cookies and cream last time, Jaffa quake this) and £1 for the Go Nuts.

I've also come across food circle supermarket - they sell stuff that's about to go out of date really cheaply - £12 for a box of 12 Quest bars for example.

I think with things like that you can ignore the best before dates - I've still got a Myprotein cookie in the cupboard that went out of date last summer - had the penultimate one a couple of weeks ago and it was still good.
If you want some some help on your first comp give me a shout if it's in the north east.

Bpu is where is at like, GPC is very good also, ipf are ok but a bit too serious for what amounts to a hobby imo.

If you want some some help on your first comp give me a shout if it's in the north east.

Bpu is where is at like, GPC is very good also, ipf are ok but a bit too serious for what amounts to a hobby imo.

Cheers mate - really appreciate that, will certainly take you up on it as and when.

Back