Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
Appreciate everyone's different but that seems an awful lot of volume before trying your 1rm. I've used the link below before (apologies it's in lbs) to work out roughly what I need to do, someone on here recommended it for me.

I'm planning on:

60x5
80x5
100x3
3 minute rest
130x1
5 minute rest
160x1

If it's just pulling 160 you're interested in it may be worth having another session where you try something like the above, rather than going through another six week cycle before testing your 1rm again?
I just followed what was in the Soviet Peaking program, but it does seem a lot

Just can't train with the same intensity when you're not preparing for a competition like, I'm still going to the gym and following a conjugate method but nowhere near as much motivation as I had 6 months ago.

What are your goals whilst just training without a competition in mind? May be different for you being a competitor but I know for me my desire to join the 400kg keeps me motivated. Also, starting MadCow, improving my five rep max has been another motivating factor for me.

What are your goals whilst just training without a competition in mind? May be different for you being a competitor but I know for me my desire to join the 400kg keeps me motivated. Also, starting MadCow, improving my five rep max has been another motivating factor for me.

With @Lewberry pie it'll be because he turns into a f***ing blimp if he doesnt train.

Things are starting to come back together. Next time I compete it will have been a three year break from competing! But threw some 200kg high bar bareback squats around yesterday and they felt how they should...well, almost. An overdue 340kg by next year hopefully.

Just to get stronger still, whilst not getting too fat, other than that not much.

It's the mindset of preparing for a comp that I miss but I did need a break because I was absolutely killing myself, anyway I'm at a good standard now so I don't have to do the volume to maintain and a conjugate method keeps me near a peak most of the time.
With @Lewberry pie it'll be because he turns into a f***ing blimp if he doesnt train.
Lol sounds about right, 95kg at the minute so within touching distance of both weight classes when I compete again.
I might enter your comp just to crush you

Last edited:
Have started lifting heavy again after a period of losing some body fat. I'm enjoying the training, but trying to get the calories into you to get stronger is tough!

Wish I had that kind of problem! Think it may be an adaptation from the way I lost my weight but I look at food and put weight on!
Watched Westside vs the World once and now obsessed with floor press + chains.

Ha'way - you're bowling them underarm at @Lewberry pie now man.
I'm now one big step closer to the 400 club - nailed the 160 deadlift. It was really comfortable in the end so really pleased with that.

Also back to a 140 squat in the same session so really pleased. Going to go for 146 over the next week or so which would be a pb.

Failed at 85 and 80 on the bench but going to retry 80 next week - I got a 75 (which is my previous pb, I failed 70 12 weeks ago) so progress is being made but not as quickly as I'd hoped.

@maygo I was already warm from squat and bench but my reps for the deadlift were:

60*5
80*5
100*3
Three minute rest
130*1
Five minute rest
160*1
Very loud shout of 'YES'

Last edited:
Wish I had that kind of problem! Think it may be an adaptation from the way I lost my weight but I look at food and put weight on!

Ha'way - you're bowling them underarm at @Lewberry pie now man.
I'm now one big step closer to the 400 club - nailed the 160 deadlift. It was really comfortable in the end so really pleased with that.

Also back to a 140 squat in the same session so really pleased. Going to go for 146 over the next week or so which would be a pb.

Failed at 85 and 80 on the bench but going to retry 80 next week - I got a 75 (which is my previous pb, I failed 70 12 weeks ago) so progress is being made but not as quickly as I'd hoped.

@maygo I was already warm from squat and bench but my reps for the deadlift were:

60*5
80*5
100*3
Three minute rest
130*1
Five minute rest
160*1
Very loud shout of 'YES'
Well done!

I still can’t believe how far behind your bench press is though. In my case I am equally as weak at everything!

I am up to 135kg deadlift at 63kg ish body weight.

Well done!

I still can’t believe how far behind your bench press is though. In my case I am equally as weak at everything!

I am up to 135kg deadlift at 63kg ish body weight.

Cheers. Bench is really frustrating - although only recently began to implement leg drive properly so hoping that will help. If I can do 81 I'll be intermediate per strength level - four more iterations of MadCow adding 5kg to my bench 1rm each time over the next year should see me do 100 in time for my target of the end of next year.

Congratulations on your deadlift - must be satisfying to nail that goal of twice your bodyweight (and more!)?

I'm currently sat at just under 67kg - had a pretty volatile time with my diabetes last couple of months and that really doesn't help (low blood sugars = in taking more calories, overcorrection of low blood sugars = more insulin = weight gain = vicious circle...) Gone back to logging calories so hoping to head back to around 62kg.

Cheers. Bench is really frustrating - although only recently began to implement leg drive properly so hoping that will help. If I can do 81 I'll be intermediate per strength level - four more iterations of MadCow adding 5kg to my bench 1rm each time over the next year should see me do 100 in time for my target of the end of next year.

Congratulations on your deadlift - must be satisfying to nail that goal of twice your bodyweight (and more!)?

I'm currently sat at just under 67kg - had a pretty volatile time with my diabetes last couple of months and that really doesn't help (low blood sugars = in taking more calories, overcorrection of low blood sugars = more insulin = weight gain = vicious circle...) Gone back to logging calories so hoping to head back to around 62kg.
It must be a pain in the arse having to manage your food and insulin so much, I am very lucky in that I just eat and lift/run and eat and sleep with relatively little thought involved.

I am happy with x2 body weight and my bench is improving again, up to 77.5kg but I would like to surpass 100kg one day.

Re: the 400kg club, this is combined dead + bench + squat I assume. Is it body weight relative? You are still very light compared to a lot of lifters so I’d have thought the bigger people would have to lift more than 400kg.

Back